Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the health risk you may get into when getting a boxer from a byb. Has anyone purchased a boxer from a byb and raised a healthy boxer with no problems?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would never ever suggest it. Not only for the obvious reasons but you also have to think that if you are purchasing a dog off of these people, ultimately you're supporting their cause.

I "rescued" my first pup from a backyard breeder and I can assure you it was not easy... They were cruel people so she had many fears of people and objects, namely garbage bags... I am not sure what they were doing with the bags but one can only imagine. She was a German Shepherd/Mastiff, however she only got the size of a large terrier. Her growth was stunted because high quality kibble wasn't in the factors. They were feeding the pups adult kibble and switching it every two weeks because they couldn't afford the "nicer" kibble 2 weeks of the month. She had no nutrience and her poor tummy couldn't even handle any type of kibble after that. She was sick for the first month I had her. Not talking occassional, I am talking 3 or 4 bouts of diarrhea every 6 hours. Was scary and expensive. Eventually went to raw which was amazing. Besides that she had no real big issues... But it is a huge responsibility and you never really know what you could be getting into. There was another puppy there with wounds on its leg and body which were festering and infected. I was 18 at the time and glad I "saved" her but I wish I would had called some form of animal control. They weren't going to stop breeding and it makes me sick...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don't recommend this! The only boxer I bought (all my other ones have been rescues) was from what I thought was a reputable breeder, but in hindsight, I now know was a byb, had two health problems, one of which caused me to return him to the breeder. He had undescended testicles (genetic - dogs with this shouldn't be bred), which wasn't a deal killer, but annoying, since I paid good money for this puppy. The other health problem couldn't be figured out by my vet, nor fixed, which caused me to return the puppy. He absolutely couldn't hold his urine (no UTI, no kidney/bladder infections), and the vet thinks he had an internal defect. He peed rivers in my house all day long, despite being taken out constantly.

The breeder was furious when I returned the puppy and said I just didn't know how to house break a dog. I told her to try and keep him in her house for 30 minutes and then see what she thought... She said the only money I would get back would be any money she could get for him if she could rehome him (so much for the health guarantee). I found out a few months later that she couldn't house break him either :devil:, and she eventually rehomed him to a man in FL where he could live outside. I got about 30% of my money back, which I was happy about - I figured I'd get nothing.

Do your homework and buy from a reputable breeder, or rescue.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
my mason came from a byb, a very nice older lady who had a female and her son had a male, a opppps litter, my mason is the sweetest boy you ever met and a mommas boy but he has bad allergies and a thyroid issue, we love him but when we got Mackie we went with a breeder.... he is a good dog too..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am on my fourth boxer now and my first 3 came from byb. All three of them had problems, mainly allergies. The one I have now came from a reputable breeder and bingo, no problems. You're going to pay a lot more for a pup from a reputable breeder but in the long run you will save yourself time and money at the vets. Good luck!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Amor came from a shelter that rescued several dogs and puppies from a hoarder. I'm not sure exactly how old she was when rescued but we got her from the shelter at 8 weeks old. She had already been fixed too which to me was way to early. It's kinda scary to think how she was treated there. To this day she kinda gets skittish around men. She loves my dad and my daughters boyfriend and sons but takes awhile to warm up to others. She has lots of allergies and now acid reflux (mild). I think things would have been done differently with food and stuff if we had known she was a boxer mix instead of the beagle mix we were told she was. I would not change it for anything though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The lower prices of the puppies are tempting, but it is important not to support the lazy, wrongful treatment of the dogs and puppies. I almost adopted a puppy from one, but I realized the adult dogs were treated like machines to make money and the amount of puppy litters on the property showed the lack of care for quality, but rather quantity of puppies.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Wow, I'm pretty sure Wyatt was from a byb. When looking I didn't know about byb's, I thought a breeder was a breeder. My ex wanted another boxer so we found a breeder and went with them.

With that said, wyatt is healthy, 72 lbs, muscular and the most loving "baby" I could ask for! He just turned 3 on Monday and is doing amazing!

He did have one testicle that didn't drop...he was neutered anyways.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm thinking Kai came from a byb, he is healthy, so far anyway. The woman didn't have but 3 dogs all her own. One was a neutered Mastiff and her two boxers. She said years ago she did some showing . I can't quite remember what she said but one of the dogs bite went off and couldn't be shown. Now she just will breed a litter occasionally. I think some by may be ok while others are down right criminal knowingly breeding poor dogs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I started doing research prior to making a deposit :/ I am hoping for the best in my little guy! Glad to know Wyatt and Kai are doing great!! Thank you for all the feedback!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
We also got Duke from a byb before we really knew any better. He will be 3 next month and is very healthy so far *knock on wood*. Our next Boxer will definitely be from a rescue!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Louie came from an accidental litter and has had just about every Heath problem boxers are prone to. He has severe skin allergies, mast cell tumor, gingival hyperplasia and his newest and most devastating diagnosis, boxer cardiomyopathy. I love my louie and I wouldn't trade him for the world but he has been such a heart breaker. Please avoid byb's at all costs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not exactly sure what defines a BYB? I got Tréto from a breeder that might well be considered a BYB by some as he was indeed a small time breeder breeding Boxers in his back yard. But both breeding parents were AKC registered dogs that [otherwise] lived in the house with the breeder and his wife. And Treto's dad, Charlie, won best in breed at 3 shows before the breeder's wife got the big C which forced [first] no longer showing and now breeding too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I thought I was getting Uhtred from a small time but reputable breeder and found out later (when I found her on the internet) that she was not only a puppy mill but had complaints out against her. She had changed her business name so I didn't find it the first time. I'm pretty sure she forged his vet certificate (I didn't know to ask to see it right off, and saw it for the first time when the vet found it in his stuff; it looks SO FAKE). She didn't let me come to her home, which should have been another red flag. Worse, he was sick within a week of bringing him home and turned out to be already immune to 3 kinds of antibiotics. How do you get immune to 3 kinds of antibiotics by 8 weeks!?!

Uhtred is a wonderful, wonderful dog, has an awesome personality and we love him to death. We could not have asked for a better fit for our family. Whether he'll have genetic diseases I don't know. But next time I buy a dog I will do my research, for the dog's sake, and also so I don't support bad behavior.

The whole "byb" thing I still don't know about. To me the distinction is puppy mill vs loving, caring owner. If a person had two healthy, strong, well cared for dogs and let them have puppies, sure, I'd buy a puppy from them. But what I'm realizing is that that's a total myth. Random people who are selling puppies are typically just trying to make money. When you love and care for your dogs, I'm thinking you probably view puppies as a total headache *unless* you've made an honest business of it, in which case you have to sell them for a price that justifies your costs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
A BYB is defined as anyone putting 2 dogs together to breed and to make money. Just because the dogs may be registered AKC means absolutely nothing. All it means is that the dogs are pure bred, not that they are a great specimen of confirmation of the breed, or that they don't have a line of health issues that run genetically in them. Most "good to great" breeders make very little money. The reason they charge such a high price is because they have done the THOUSANDS of dollars of health & heart testing on the parents before mating them. They are breeding to better the breed- health wise & confirmation wise. Any other breeder out there is a backyard breeder -period. It doesn't take being a puppy mill to be a BYB - it just takes being ignorant enough to think you don't want to neuter your dog until it "breeds" something, or thinking that my dog is soooo pretty - maybe we should have one litter. This breed is coupled with a short life, health issues and heart defects, why would anyone want to be so heartless as to continue breeding that on? That's my 2 cents worth on the issue. We ended up buying from a BYB as well- as I wasn't as informed 3 yrs ago. AKC reg but no real? Testing done with the parents that we know of. It's a lot more than a health exam or the parents testing fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I have a lazy bred boxer, though there is a high chance she is a Pitt mix. I rescued her today from being left at her old owners vacant house for a month. The neighbors were calling pound this Friday because they just couldn't keep her body weight up with scraps This area is becoming a byb mecca as was nearby SC before it. There are no real laws for dogs but rabies tag. No leash law. A nuisance allowance for loose dogs (poison or shooting). Specially if you own livestock, even if only 2 chickens. She is a very nice little pup regardless.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I don't recommend purchasing from a byb, but I do understand why some people go that route.

Some people just haven't done any research and don't know any better.

Some people don't want to spend that much initially even though it most likely saves them money in the long run.

Some people have a hard time purchasing from a reputable breeder (I am in this category) I had done the research, I did know better. I contacted breeders that would be considered reputable. But.... they turned me down for various reasons. IE - I never had a boxer before, my yard wasn't fenced at the time, I WORKED and wouldn't be home to let the puppy out during the day.

So Maggie came from a byb- her parents did not have the recommended health testing.

Mongo came from the same byb, however his father did have some of the recommended health testing, but his mother did not.

Maggie is 7 now and Mongo is 6. We have not had too many health issues. A few lumps/bumps removed - all benign so far, but that doesn't mean they're out of the woods as far as their health since a lot of issues occur more towards the "senior" years.

Now that I am an experienced boxer owner and our yard is now fenced, perhaps we will be able to purchase our next boxer from a reputable breeder? Although that isn't happening any time soon and we both work, so no one would be home to let a puppy out during the day.

Besides genetics, I do believe that proper nutrition, fewer vaccines and avoidance of toxic chemicals has an effect on lifespan / disease / illness.

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts