Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooked me up some Bacon for lunch today.

Hank, the Boxer, was really enjoying the smell.

he seemed later to not give much interest in his dry food. So I poured about a table spoon of the hot grease I had left over onto 1 1/2 cups of his food and mixed it up. He took right to it and gulped it all up.

So is this OK?

I have also heard the throwing either raw, or a over easy fried egg in with his chow is good, or mixing a table spoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Is this good also?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I wouldn't give him bacon grease too often. It's full of salt.

A raw or fried egg is fine, as is a tablespoon of coconut oil.

The only problem with doing this is that you might be creating a fussy eater! lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adding an egg or a small 1/2 can of canned dog food seems to do the trick. He is eating now and gobbling everything up. So that is good as was starting to see his spine a little. So I guess he is very finicky with the dry dog food.

So I guess I will do this from now on. Starting to feed him only twice a day, so in the mornings will throw in a egg (in expensive and easy to do since I always cooks eggs for myself), and the evening meal either add some canned dog food with the dry dog food and stir it in, or get some Beef Broth.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My little girl was a slow distracted eater for months - she'd take a bite and wander around the house then go back for another one - meanwhile I had to watch her bowl to make sure big guy didn't help himself to it. Once she hit a year old she begs for her food and gobbles it up, quite often finishing before big guy does. Give Hank time he'll get into it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think it's fine as long as it isn't in large quantities. Our guy is skinny and a picky eater, so we've taken to mixing a tiny bit of something in his dry food. Maybe a little hamburger; whatever is leftover from dinner. This morning he got a little bit of last night's sausage gravy, (like a tablespoon) thoroughly mixed into his dry food, and he ate it all. Wouldn't touch it before. The key is not to give too much, unless you want a stinky liquid mess by the patio door. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
bacon grease probably isn't good on there digestive system, grease that hardens when cooled is not healthy for any one. but I do give the boys the left over bacon on sunday morning, usually a piece or two as a treat

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bacon grease probably isn't good on there digestive system, grease that hardens when cooled is not healthy for any one. but I do give the boys the left over bacon on sunday morning, usually a piece or two as a treat
I probably have been eating 2 pounds of bacon a week for the last 20 years. Still fit as a fiddle. :crazy::chef:

Bacon = Nature's candy.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just because you have been eating bacon and bacon grease for yrs doesn't mean you are actually healthy and that it would be for your dog. When was the last time you had your blood drawn to check your cholesterol and triglycerides ? Triglycerides are fat in the blood. Just because you appear healthy and not sick doesn't mean that you are. Eating bacon grease for dogs is a serious issue. Dogs can't funnel fat very well. ESP boxers. They are known to have digestive troubles and prone to pancreatitis. This is a life threatening condition and pancreatitis can ruin the entire renal system and give him diabetes - I know - it happened to my aunts dog and now she gives insulin shots 2x a day. Please take the advice others are giving on here seriously and quit feeding bacon grease to your dog!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I would agree that the bacon grease isn't a good choice (even though it tastes good)

Coconut oil, plain or vanilla greek yogurt, salmon oil are good choices.

I wouldn't use the chicken broth either, at least not on a regular basis. It's too high in sodium, even the lower sodium varieties are too high. Anything you give / feed your dog should have a sodium level of 100 mg or less (preferably less)

:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just because you have been eating bacon and bacon grease for yrs doesn't mean you are actually healthy and that it would be for your dog. When was the last time you had your blood drawn to check your cholesterol and triglycerides ? Triglycerides are fat in the blood. Just because you appear healthy and not sick doesn't mean that you are. Eating bacon grease for dogs is a serious issue. Dogs can't funnel fat very well. ESP boxers. They are known to have digestive troubles and prone to pancreatitis. This is a life threatening condition and pancreatitis can ruin the entire renal system and give him diabetes - I know - it happened to my aunts dog and now she gives insulin shots 2x a day. Please take the advice others are giving on here seriously and quit feeding bacon grease to your dog!!!!!!!

As for me, my levels are way on the safe side. A Paleo diet is good for us Humans as well.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I understand that. My cholesterol is 120 and my triglycerides are 49. I eat clean- not paleo, but I eat clean, do 15,000 steps aday and lift weights 2x per week. I'm 118 lbs and can squat my body weight. I'm healthy and active but that doesn't mean I guzzle bacon grease :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
He's not talking about a lot of grease, or that's my understanding...
Just a little flavor. I don't think small amounts are going to hurt hank

·
Registered
771 Posts
I get that, however even small amts are not okay. Regardless of that fat content, the nitrates and salt are extremely bad. Just my opinion...there are a lot better ways to go about the situation

·
Registered
1 Posts
HAHA, why not? But be attentive! Don't give him very often such fatty meals. My goldendoodle, for example, Morty, eats literally everything, even bananas... I can't understand what kind of dog is he, but that's true. When i was choosing the breed, i paid attention on a lot of factors, for me it was very hard. I'm allergic, so i was looking for a hypoallergenic breed. With it me helped a nice article especially about this breed. Now I'm totally happy with Morty, and we eat bananas together:) It's really a great breed and i have noany symptoms of the allergy, if you'll need, read here about it petpls.com

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Well yeah an old thread but people still need to know. So yep "Bacon Grease," is a hard "No!" Specifically as to why not?? Pancreatitis would be the "Why Not." In a nut shell dog's can't assimilate fat. For more details, you can see here, :https://www.candogseat-this.com/can-dogs-eat-bacon/

The Banana's however are fine, but most likely diarrhea could be an issue if you over do them. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts