Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home this afternoon after being gone for about an hour to see Brodi's crate bloody! I quickly took him out and inspected and could see it was his drool that had the blood in it. We checked his mouth and I didnt see any cuts or broken teeth but I notice now the white around his mouth looks pretty red and a little swollen. We had him in the big crate using the divider but he freaked out really bad. So then I switched and bought one of them smaller travel crates thinkin he would feel better in it..Nope he freaks out just as bad..I mean so bad to where my next door neighbor heard Brodi crying over by his house!  I have been feeding him inside it along with giving him his kong in there and hes fine but as soon as I'm out of sight he bugs out and now to the point where he is hurting himself. I have my shirt in there for him and I turn the music on but it dont help. When I left today I gave him a treat inside there along with his kong but he wanted no part of either..I ignored his crying and just left but felt horrible when I came home and seen all the blood. He also drools to the point where him and his crate are soaked. I'm completely out of idea's but now I'm scared to leave him in it in fear of him really hurting himself. I have his crate in spare bedroom and have tried both ways of leaving the door open so he could see Chloe and also shutting the door. I don't know if seeing her will make it worse or not. I even put a watch on a stuffed animal inside the crate with him. Anything else I can try??

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
We had similar problems with Blitz, but just during the day. At night, with her crate next to Donners she would quiet right down and sleep all night. Two hours during the day between our shifts and she was FRANTIC. Peed, pood, saliva and screaming the place down. We toughed it out while trying different things for about 2 weeks, nothing was helping. One day I realized that mostly when we're not here Donner sleeps on the couch in the living room. Blitz's crate was in the bedroom. Tried moving her crate into the living room during the day, and its been waaaay better ever since! I think the fact that he probably would walk in and out of the bedroom checking on the screaming banshee in the crate made her REALLY crazy. Don't know if that will help with Chloe and Brodi or not, hope so. Good Luck  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Shari, someone on here used one of those big Rubbermaid totes, like for storing Christmas stuff...Put a blanket in the bottom and the pup did great.....Something you might try...Poor Brodi, sounds like a bit if SA, with all that drooling.....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Make sure his crate is next to your other dogs bed or place she sleeps when you are gone.  That should really help.   I always give my pups the whole crate and don't use the divider.  So what if they potty in it?  Atleast they have a little more room to sprawl out and if they do have to potty they don't have to step in it. Also give him something that he really likes to chew on while you are gone that you don't have to worry about him getting small enough to swallow (Chewing helps my dogs relieve their aniexty also)  and leave something in his crate of yours with your scent on it.  

The music being on is also helpful.

Nano

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It does sound like SA.  I have gone through this with my pup.  To this day he still hates the crate, he freaks out and bites the wires and drools and pants like crazy.  He has no interest in treats or toys or kongs or whatever while in there.  He won't even sit/lay down.  He will stand for hours panting and whining.   It got to the point where I had to abandon the crate, he was hurting himself.  Amazingly I left him out in a gated off area and he was fine alone!  As he's grown he's eaten some couch cushions and stuff unfortunately, so I am actually working on making him his own safe room.  I work from home, he's not alone very often, I can afford to abandon the crate.  If he needs to be left alone for long periods every day, you might just have to stick with it.  I would start over and ease him back into the crate, a few minutes at a time.  Like someone else suggested, even leaving him in a more comfortable area (living room) sometimes is all it takes.  I think with patience you can get him used to it, but SA can be a real tough one.  I feel like I've only managed it, not cured it.  To this day, the only way he will tolerate the crate is if he's completely exhausted.  If I had to continue with the crate, I would only put him after a full day of doggie daycare or some other similiar exhaustion.  He would be ok for hours in the crate after something like that.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I don't have any ideas, but what Nano suggested sounds good.  Hope he gets over it quickly, poor baby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts