Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,everyone i'm new here and i wish my 1st post was a better one.I just needed to come to a place where other Boxer people are,and to see if anyone has any ideas for me.Well first i have a 5 year old Flashy Fawn Female Boxer that's a indoor Dog,i've had her since she was 7 week's old.Her problems started about 2 week's ago when i noticed her drinking more Water than normal,but being as hot as it was i just thought she might be extra thirsty.So then comes the middle of last week she started throwing up,i just thought she had a belly ache because she has threw up before.Then on Friday she was acting a little better,but Saturday & Sunday she was acting gloomy and she didn't eat nothing.Monday i take her to the Vet and he gives her a few test's,and everything was looking o.k.Then he ran a Blood test,and that's where everything went wrong.He told me her Kidney's aren't working right,plus her White Blood cells are down,so that pretty much takes out the idea of a Kidney Infection.He put her on IV Fluid's,and to be safe they have her on Antibiotic's.He asked me if she could have got into some Antifreeze or something,but i keep her inside,and when she goes out i put her on a cable run.So i can't see her getting into something like that,it's just strange this is happening to a relatively young Dog.Well today i went back to see her,and she looked better,more alert.But when i talked to the Vet he said it's probably the Fluid's that perked her up,and that her Bloodwork still wasn't good.And he think's it might be complete Kidney failure,and the best thing was to keep flushing her out with fluid's,and give her more Antibiotic's and see what happen's.It was so hard to see her in that cage with that IV in her,her looking at me with her big brown eye's like she was saying,"i want to go home","what's going on"??And then to leave her was SO HARD,heck i haven't even had anything to eat for 2 day's!Well let me get to the few question's i wanted to ask you guy's about this,1st-has any of you had this happen,what was the outcome,and do you have any ideas of what else could be done,or is there anything they might be missing?I just can't stand to think about losing her,she's my BEST Buddy.I came home last night to a empty House instead of getting greeted by my BEST Buddy.And i tell you it's DEFINITELY NOT a good feeling,i've never been this attached to a Dog.Here i am a 37 year old Man crying about my Dog,and i never thought i'd do that.I'm sorry if i've ran on with this,it just feel's good to kind of let it out to other's that i know feel the same about their Boxer's.There just such a great friend to have,i don't consider her a Pet,she's my Friend.So thank's,and PLEASE PLEASE say a prayer for my Boxer Puggy.I'm hoping & praying she will pull out of this,but it's not looking good so far.But i'm NOT giving up hope! Thank's again everyone,Larry

·
Registered
905 Posts
Oh Larry, my heart has gone out to you.  We all know exactly how you feel about Puggy - none of us see our dogs as just pets, they are all our babies.  We only had Tink a week and I kept thinking that I would never be able to cope if something happened to her.

Medically, I can't give you any advice because I've never been in that situation, but one of our members, SharonL is a vet and will hopefully be able to shed some more light on the situation, and maybe give you a little bit of hope.  All I can say is that I am hoping against hope that Puggy just has a very bad infection, and not total renal failure.

I'm not a particularly religious person, but I will definitely be saying a little prayer for you and Puggy tonight.

Chin up.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Oh, honey, bless your heart.  Yes, I will deffinately  pray for you and Puggy!  I had Rocky for only 16 months when he died :cry: , and it hurt me more than just about any pain I've ever experienced.

I don't know what could be causing these problems.  I know grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure.  Then there's the food recall that was causing kidney problems.

Best of luck and we will be praying!

Zhanna

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Oh, how horrible. I will be praying and hoping that Puggy will pull through. I'm so sorry you are going through this. {{{{Positive thoughts and healing vibes}}}} being sent your way. Please keep us updated, and welcome to the forum, and I do wish your first post was a happier one, but we are all here for you.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry to hear about Puggy, she will definately be in our prayers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Puggy..I don't kno what I would do if that was me. Your in our prayers
Just keep us updated on Puggy

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm so sorry, Larry.. I hope things start looking up.. Definitely keep us updated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Larry,  there is hope.  My girl Sonya has a under devoloped kidney.  They beleive that this will eventually lead to Renal disease.  She does drink alot of water and throws up occasionally.  There is a special food out there called Hi-Tor Neo diet wet and dry food it is really low in Protein but high in vitamins.  I don't know how far along your little buddy is and to be honest with you we just adopted Sonya so I don't have all the answers but if theres anything I can do to help please PM me I've been researching this for the last 3 weeks.   .........Russ

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Puggy.  Just reading your post brought tears to my eyes.  You and your friend will definately be in our prayers. :pray:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Larry, I'm so sorry to hear about Puggy's problem.  I'm with everyone else in sending you healing vibes and we'll keep both of you in our thoughts and prayers.  Like Honeyec said, Sharon's the best bet for information, and I'm sorry I can't help.  We're all here for you anytime.  Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Larry I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with Puggy and I am very aware how with your baby being sick that you are at wits end.

My first thought was to ask if she has been on a heartworm preventative and if you know the status of that neg or pos because it does make a big difference.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
OMGosh i am soo sorry, i dont have any advice to offer but i am praying for your baby. boxer hugs to you and puggy

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Larry I'm so sorry to hear about Puggy.  I'll be sure to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.  There's a lot of great people on here with good information.  And this is a great place to vent.  Hope puggy is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Very sorry to hear that Larry... You will get an emense amount of support from the people that post on this board and we will all be hoping for the best for Puggy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everyone,first i want to say Thank You so very much for all your kind word's & encouragement.It really warmed my heart,Boxer lover's are a special group,just as Boxer's are a special Dog.Well after 4 Day's of putting up a brave fight,Puggy never got any better.Her Blood work kept getting worse with no sign's of improvement,and she wasn't eating anything at all.And i know she hadn't had anything to eat since last Week around this time,so i had to make the toughest decision a Dog owner ever has to make.With the advice of my Vet i decided to put her to sleep Today,so now tonight i know she isn't sick anymore.She's in a better place,running & playing,and feeling just like her old self again.Knowing that,it gives me some piece of mind.But i'm still going to miss her greatly,Puggy was a VERY special Friend.I loved her from the first day she came into my life,and she alway's gave that Love right back to me no matter what.I brought her home this evening and picked out a nice place under a shady Tree in the corner of my Yard,and me and my friend buried her there.I put a couple of Puggy's favorite Toy's in with her so that she'll alway's have them,i'm also going to make a nice marker for her.Well my House is quiet tonight,i guess i'll have to get used to that.I know i'll get another Boxer someday,because without a Boxer life just isn't as Bright.From Me & Puggy we Thank all of you VERY VERY much for all your kind word's,well wishes,and prayer's.I know it really helped me in my time of need.I have found a great new place here that's filled with wonderful people,so i'll still be around.Thank's,Larry

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm glad to hear you will hang around here Larry. I am so very sorry for your loss. Just know that you gave Puggy the most unselfish and final gift a boxer owner can give their babies.
We are all here for you...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm very sad for you :(  - i'm sure she had a really happy life, full of love and fun with you - even though it was cut short. You gave her the best for the time she was with you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
All I can say is how truly sorry I am for your loss, small words, but your pain comes thru..Puggy is in a pain free place now, running and playing with all her boxer buddies...She will be missed..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts