Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

bad news....... very bad news.....UPDATED to good news!!!

4K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Skyboxers 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I hope you guys remember me, I seem to be in a bit of a situation here. One of the pups from the litter passed away on sunday (If you remember I was due to pick up my flashy fawn male tomorrow) however, the pup they think came down with distemper... Both vets say all signs point to distemper, and if thats the case the entire litter will be gone by today (friday november 9th, 2007)

#2 ·
Re: bad news....... very bad news.....

I am SO sorry, Hon...that must be SO hard...I can't imagine...we fall in love SO quickly, don't we? They are incredible little creatures...I will be praying for you and your baby...and the entire litter...I am so sad to hear that someone lost their angel to be...but, I do hope it turns out to be something else for teh sake of everyone else...keep us posted!! BIG HUGS to you!

#3 ·

I'm so sorry to hear that one pup has passed. I am a believer in that everything does happen for a reason. I think you just need to take it one day at a time and see how the other pups do. From what I am reading, the other pups sound just fine. If you are comfortable with this breeder, I wouldn't run out and try and find another breeder just yet. I know it is difficult, but just hang in there. Please do keep us updated on the rest of the litter.

#4 ·

I agree to wait and see what happens.  Because it was so "sudden" I am not really understanding why they said "it all points to distemper"  Normally a distemper dog will not just up and die without any signs.  The common ones are having the "ticks" where the body seems to jerk without cause or knowledge, a very high fever which will cause no playing and no eating or drinking. So just based on what you said "the pup was fine and then boom dead" I would not think distemper as a first guess. Now....hookworm infest can cause people to lose pups and they seem to go one at a time but I am sure the breeder has probably checked or had them wormed.  You/The vet is right you will kinow something within 2 weeks either way....I say hang in there it could just been some strange fluke with that one pup.

#6 ·

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how hard this must be on you, being really excited to get your pup and then this news comes crashing down...I am hoping that all the rest of the pups are okay! I am thinking of you all. Please keep us posted on how they are making out. Fingers and paws crossed that they all survive.

#7 ·

That is so sad, I would do what others have recommended; wait just a bit before you look for another breeder.

#8 ·

Thanks guys! I talked to the breeder the other night for about an hour over the phone-- Shes very upset about this all. She loves all her pups, and losing one is just something that is very hard to deal with. Im not too familiar with Distemper, so I feel as though you all are providing me with some promising news. I got another update over email last night which says they are all ok-- no symptoms whatsoever. Even the 2 runts from the litter are happy, healthy, running, playing, and eating. So keep your fingers crossed, pray every night, or just keep them all in your thoughts. (btw she says the two runts are also not exactly runts anymore. She says they are a bit smaller than the rest but have really blown up within the past couple of weeks--- so thats a good sign too)

You know Im thinking something is being passed around that area... I think the pups arent allowed outside right now (other than to potty-- if that!). She asked me if horses can come down with this because a friend of hers had a little 6 month old colt who was fine and in about an hour was showing signs of pneumonia. I believe he passed a few hours or days later. My goodness I couldnt even imagine my horses coming down with this! (I did sell them all, but they all sold around this area) and that mersa bug is going around (that deadly staff infection) but that has to do with people... I just wonder if animals can get it as well.... I wonder if they can get it if their symptoms will change?

but so far so good.....

I have to run out and do the nanny thing (i love my little kiddies!  :D ) Ill be back home around 6 hopefully with another update, and possibly before 6 if the kids have piano today.

#9 ·

I had MRSA staph in September.  Neither of my dogs contracted it.  I would be very wary of buying the dog if some of the litter has been sick or died.  If you know the breeder, maybe you could work out a deal to have your vet examine the pup.  I know it's a hard situation and I'll admit that once I even see a pup I can get attached, but think long term.  I'd hate to pay for a pup and have it sick or in need of care alot.

#10 ·

So sorry to hear this.  Hopefully it isn't distemper and the rest will be okay.   Prayers that the rest of the litter is healthy!

#12 ·

I'm sorry to hear that one of the little puppies didn't make it.  I don't know what to tell you, but if they had a necropsy performed on the puppy that should give them the information they need as to the cause of death and then you won't have to wonder.  Perhaps it had a congenital defect that caused it's untimely death and hopefully none of the other puppies will be at risk.  Keep us posted as to what you find out.

#14 ·

Hey guys just thought I would update real quick (while I can still get a signal lol)

Today is the 7 day mark without any symptoms from any one of the puppies. They all are still happy healthy eating and playing. So--- so far so good :)

Keep your fingers crossed-- everything (so far) is looking up :D

#15 ·

i hope everything works out ! i hope the pups will all be o.k. . sounds like they are doing quite well :D

#17 ·

wow....i have missed alot. I havent been on much cuz my computer's fan went out and i am using the computer at school to check in once in awhile. I am so sorry to hear what you have been going through. I will keep you and all those pups in my prayers and i truly hope things continue going well!!!

#19 ·

Just thought I would update real quick. For starters I finally have internet lol, and I talked to the breeder monday. She said both vets are absolutely stunned, and say that the pups are pretty much out of the woods... but still give it another week. They are going to see the vet next week, then will be released to their new homes after their visit ---as long as they're all healthy of course. However, Im going to wait until after the holidays to go pick him up :). He comes home (if all continues to go well) Saturday Nov. 24th!

#22 ·

that sounds great. if all goes well when can you bring your baby home?

#26 ·
Re: bad news....... very bad news.....UPDATED to good news!!

hey guys we are down to 8 days before i bring my little guy home!!!! Oh MY GOODNESS WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!

but I did feel as though this was a wonderful learning experience!

anyway just thought I would update and say that Im going up to the breeders house tomorrow at noon to pick up my crate (I leave to go spend thanksgiving with the family on tuesday, so I want everything set up before I leave) I forgot to mention that as soon as I get home from the airport on saturday (philly airport none the less....) I will have to get home hopefully by 6 (and thats if I cant transfer to an earlier flight) then head straight out to the breeders house. She does not like to receive gifts on sundays, so I told her that I would be more than happy to bring him home one day early ;) hahaha (she was even willing to let him go home with me sunday without receiving the payment! But I would feel more comfortable giving her the check when I pick up my pup)

So I still havent decided if Im going to bring my camera. I know they havent been allowed outside (she doesnt want to take ANY chances... this has scared the living daylights out of her) So I just dont want that flash going off every min.--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.