Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we got Bentley 4 weeks ago (and I promise to post pictures soon) but he is a total nightmare.  He's good when he is tired...but thats it.  He begs for food bad, jumps on our coffee tables, tries to counter surf (hes too small 12 weeks old but he can get his paws on there) if you say no he back barks (back talks), if he doesn't want you to touch him he will growl and bite.  All of this is getting better we are working on it..

My question.  Him and Duke play all the time and the only time I step in is if I here them yelp or if Bentley is trying to mount Duke (he is only 12 weeks old and he has been doing this since we got him at 8 weeks).  I just think they are playing most of the time, Duke wrestles back so I thought all was good.  Well tonight I noticed Duke has a lot of bite marks on his legs and they are bleeding.  I feel like such a bad mom but I've been working extra hours and bringing work home so I haven't noticed.  So now I'm worried...I know that is the easiest way for Bentley to play fight with Duke but he shouldn't be biting so hard Duke is bleeding right?  I mean Bentley and Duke get a long very well, they cuddle together and they will give each other kisses and share treats and even share food (they eat the same food right now, but I stop it when I catch them).   Bentley is just the devils puppy, I've never had a puppy so aggressive.  He is getting better with us but I am worried about Duke.  Should I stop all fighting all together if I see it or should I let Duke when Duke says enough.  Duke will stop him when he is tired, and I am getting a baby gate so Duke can leave the room and go in the bed room when he wants to but I don't know wither I should stop it all together isn't this normal boxer play?  I just don't want Duke to get hurt, Duke is very gentle with Bentley so I'm not worried about him.  What do you think?

Sorry it is so long.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also should I put something on his legs?  I do love my Bentley and he is getting puppy training at the end of the month...he just makes me tired, I forgot how hard it is to take care of a puppy.  And he doesn't like to go to bed early :(  I love going to bed early....Duke and my bedtime has changed since he has gotten here.

·
Registered
648 Posts
LOL well Bentley does seem to be a dominent little pup.  I would for sure let duke put him in his place....I think the best thing about having two dogs one adult and one pup is Duke can help you inforce the law.

I think the bleeding is from the sharp puppy teeth bentley has at the moment so it probably is more of a scratch than a bite. If Bentely really bit Duke I would think duke would pin him down and tell him to stop....even easy going they won't take being bitten... ;-)

Other than that it sounds like normal puppy work!  This is my first boxer but I would say they are harder than other pups I have had! Keep inforcing the law...and never give up I think they learn slowly who is boss.

G

·
0 Posts
I have two dogs and my youngest would always grab my older one's  face and mouth and cause scabs and scratches as well as on his leg.  The older one would let her know however when too much was too much.  I would let Duke teach Bentley when enough is enough.  Sounds like a typical, dominate little pup you have, lol!

G

·
0 Posts
I have two dogs and my youngest would always grab my older one's  face and mouth and cause scabs and scratches as well as on his leg.  The older one would let her know however when too much was too much.  I would let Duke teach Bentley when enough is enough.  Sounds like a typical, dominate little pup you have, lol!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I definitely feel your pain.  When Spinx was that age he was a terror too.  One thing my trainer showed me is called the quiet puppy hold.  Put Bentley in a sit, and sit behind him and hold your hands across his chest so he cant move at all.  Even if he wiggles, squirms, or tries to get away, hold him steady.  Do it for 20-30 min a day(not all at one time of course) and Bentley will start to see who is boss.  One other simple thing that I did to help tone down Spinx's dominant behavior was to simply walk towards him whenever he was acting up.  If he was getting bitey (especially at peoples feet) I would walk assertively, and with good posture straight towards him and he would always back down and turn away.  If only I could find a way to stop him from digging in the garbage now.

Brian

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
someone just asked this question in a post called "will the fighting ever stop?" on this forum.  Look it up some more ideas for you there.

Nano

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pups are a lot of work ,
i agree w/ brchristians sit him down and make him stay whenever he acts up . show him you are the boss
Duke will defend himself when he has had enough but you need to show the puppy that you are in control of Duke too.
when you are home you can let them play but monitor and control any unwanted behavior .it sounds like a normal pup as long as you are consistant with correction the agressive pup will grow and respect you  

ahh puppy so cute so much work
i like them when they are sleeping
Good luck !

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Would it help to supervise their play closely for awhile?  If Bentley crosses the line from playing to bullying you might make a noise (can with stones in it), or another correction immediately.  

Ann WI

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I hate to tell you this but I also have a 12 week old and he's good as gold! I know its hard not to fuss them when they are this young but just like a child you should be teaching them right from wrong. The sooner you step in when you think something is going to happen the better, if you suspect he is going to bite just snap him out of it.. Like someone mentioned earlier you can use a bottle with stones in to shake- although I prefer to just have a vocal signal to let him know hes doing something wrong - failing that the use the noise with added finger snap- that way you can always take it with you wherever you go! You shouldnt let Duke dominate the pup, you should be dominating them BOTH!

If you havent seen the dog whisperer already you should at least try and check it out - I know its corny but has some very useful tips

1 - 11 of 11 Posts