Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie was at the vet today and they had said her nails needed to be trimmed so the vet asked the intern to do it. I thought okay she knows what she's doing Sadie will be fine.  (Usually I try cutting her nails when she's really chilled out like as she's falling asleep) But the intern went at it right when Sadie got into the room (very excited puppy) and just started clipping away! She was going really fast and Sadie was yelping every time she cut a nail. The intern had cut into the quick on four of Sadies little nails!! She was bleeding all over the place. The vet stepped in right away and grabbed the clippers and finished off the nails. Needless to say Sadie was traumatized and I was mad that it seemed that the intern was rough and not paying attention  :(  I hope an incident like this doesn`t make her scared of the clippers in the future...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience and I agree with you and hope it does not cause her to be reluctant on having her nails done.  It certainly can do that.  Ouch!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am soooo sorry for Sadie.  That was just plain stupid on the tech's part and I'd be furious.  All of my Afgans hated their feet touched and an experience like that would make me homicidal!  I have noticed with both of my boxers that they don't mind their feet being touched, and I hope that Sadie will forget about this experience.  I'd make sure you touch her feet gently and reassure her it's okay, and learn to clip those nails yourself.  She will trust you, and should be just fine.  I'm clipping Sophie's nails today before she goes to the vet for her shots in a couple of days.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
poor sadie!! i hope she wont remember this. Neither of my girls like having their nails trimmed. My issue is that their quicks are really long so i cant trim much off, but their nails are kinda long. Delimma....i would have given sadie a big huge treat when i got home!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Poor Sadie!! That intern should have stopped after the first one she cut into. If you gently massage her little paws every so often it might desensitize her a bit to her paws being touched.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Logan and I went to the vet today and he specifically said he would not clip his nails so he would not have a negatice expierence. He suggested that I use an embry board to trim them down slightly but that not much was needed. When they are pups they should be extra cautious of what the beggining expierences are I'm so sorry to hear they did that, the vet should understand what a tech is capable of doing, I would have trusted them as well. I wish you the best and I'm sure Sadie will be ok with reassurance from Mommy

·
Registered
294 Posts
How awful, sorry to hear that!  Poor little Sadie.

I would try touching her feet a little every day and reward her with a treat each time, so that she will associate her feet being touched with a positive experience.  After awhile you could probably stop giving her treats every single time, but then just lots of praise and affection.  Go nice and slow and eventually she'll be so used to her feet being handled it won't be a big ordeal for either of you :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your advice. I am furious and there's no way I'm letting that woman near her again! I think my BF and I are more traumatized than Sadie is at this point though, because I have been touching her feet gently a bit tonight and she seems okay about it, no crying or flinching. I am making sure to give her lots of kisses and praise to reassure her.

I have cut her nails before but I only cut a bit at a time and I did it while she was sleeping so she didn't make a fuss about it, obviously the tech had a different approach  8O . Anyway, lets just say that she will ONLY be getting her nails clipped at home from now on!

Thanks again for your help as always  :angel:

·
Registered
110 Posts
:eek: Poor Poor Sadie!! She is just a baby!!!  
Tug doesn't like having his nails clipped either.  We usually do it when he gets a bath so they are easier to clip.
She deserves lots of goodies tonight.  It might take some time but she will come around with the nail clipping.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Poor little Sadie...I'm glad to hear she is still okay with you touching her feet. Just keep doing what you are and she should be okay. My gawd what was she thinking?!?! Hugs to that beautiful little girl!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
oh poor Sadie, that is awful....I am so sorry that happened to her....I would file a complaint if I were you, no tech should treat a pup like that...I'm hoping Sadie won't be totally turned off getting her nails done now...Play with her feet a lot, give her kisses and perhaps you might want to consider getting a Dremel to do them yourself...I can send you a link that gives great instructions on how to do it....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts