Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my Zoe (Zoey) just turned 9. We moved from NorCal to Spokane Wa last March. Prior to moving I began feeding her raw diet (dog grade ground chicken, organ, bone) and after about a month she broke out in hard bumps all over her back. I found a holistic vet who allergy tested her, was a raw diet proponent, and found she had a high sensitivity to chicken so we switched her to raw turkey and the bumps went away. He said the sensitivity acted as a toxin and leached into her skin and away from her organs. Made sense. Fast forward to Spokane. I found a distributor of raw dog food and purchased their turkey. So far so good. However, the bumps have returned and now on her legs, neck, and tummy. Found a great vet up here who needle tested the largest bump and it came back inconclusive but possibly either lymphoma or allergy related and they want to do a biopsy. She just had a $2200 surgery 2 months ago removing a hystiocytoma (sp ?) which came back fine but knowing these can eventually turn cancerous in boxers, I opted to have it removed. They also did a dental and she has epilus and had tissue removed from her mouth, making the surgery costly. She was down for a good week and recovery was tough. My thought about the food is I have wondered if the fat content in the raw has got something to do with it so am now cooking down the food and removing the fat but it hasn't affected the bumps good or bad. She likes it better cooked (I combine it with kibble) and so does my other boxer (same age, now on carprofen for hip pain - he's German boxer, a big boy at 100lbs, Zoe is 66, average size). Something tells me these bumps are allergy related. We're surrounded by trees and pollens we've never been around and for the first time, we have grass. The last thing I want to do is subject her to another minor surgery. But I am not sure what to do! Any suggestions?
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grey Whiskers

Carnivore Grey Comfort Dog breed Natural material

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definitely allergy related. My guy Vinny age 7, also has them and only recently due to the weather change. After a walk I wipe him down with a warm wash cloth and I put him on an antibiotic for skin issue. His are not itchy. I’m keeping him out of the woods and away from poison ivy even though that’s not suppose to affect them. He also has them only on one side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts