Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog bailey decided to collapse and stop breathing just as i was gonna leave for work last night.wife and kids all paniced and i gave him mouth to nose and massaged his chest.AND HE'S ALIVE!THANK GOD!just  thought he had kennel cough but was getting worse!going back to the vet today and hope he's gonna pull through!anyone got any bright ideas?would be greatful of any feedback! :?

·
Registered
648 Posts
So glad you didn't panic - good job thinking on your feet!  Well I can only think to get him to the VET and get him checked out ASAP. Let us know...and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would get him checked today.  Could be heart related.  Prevelant in our breed unfortunately.  If it happens again it would be good to note the details and check his heart rate during the episode.

Nano

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So glad Bailey is OK, let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hoping that Bailey is allright, what a scary situation. Good for you for acting quick

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i am glad Bailey is still with us...kudos for the quick thinking!! please keep us posted on how he is doing

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
welcome to the forum...great job !!!!

any news??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
baileys 2nd visit to vet may have revealed possibly 2 heart murmers!and he's not looking to good today.needs to be able to lead an active life can't afford a life of medication and don't want him to suffer!so may have to do the humain thing!thanx to all your replies and will keep you all posted! :(

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've lived with a heart murmur all my 33 years.  Heart murmurs are not a death sentance!  I only have to have meds before a dental exam or surgery.
Please keep us posted oh how he's doing.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Please don't put him down due to a heart murmer, if you can't afford to keep him please contact a boxer rescue as they will be able to place the dog in a home that may be able to afford the medication. Maybe your vet can help with the cost of the meds, like some type of charge or payment plan until you are financially able to afford the meds. Kudos to you for your quick thinking you are a hero in my eyes. It seems to me that this little guy is meant to be with you.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hopefully the meds won't be expensive and if they are, please do contact a rescue as Luann suggested so Bailey can have a chance at life.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I know there are different grades of murmers, some are more serious, but it's not a death sentence! A good long talk with the vet about possible treatments & options would be the first item on my list. You also didn't say how old Bailey is, if I remember correctly it's not uncommon for pups to have murmers and a lot of times grow out of them.....

Having said that, IF you still believe that you cannot take care of her, PLEASE, look into having Boxer rescue take her, that's what they do, rehome Boxers to give them a chance at a good long life.....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'll echo the suggestions not to put down a dog just because of a heart murmur; one of my Boxers had a heart murmur and lived to be nine years old, so it's certainly not a death sentence.  You really need to take Bailey to a board-certified veterinary cardiologist to find out the origin and severity of the murmur - you can't formulate a truly effective plan of treatment/management until you do so.  If you think you'll have trouble paying for the exam (it will probably cost about $300-500, depending on whether they do a Holter monitor as well as a Doppler Echocardiogram), you might want to look into CareCredit (www.carecredit.com), which provides financing for veterinary expenses.  There is a listing of cardiologists by state here:
http://www.cavalierhealth.org/Cardiologists.htm

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wow, sharp thinking! I'm so glad he's ok. Also, I'm wondering if there is a post up or if anyone knows how to give a dog CPR or if there is some sort of certification I can do. I just want to make sure I'm prepared for anything and everything so I don't panic god forbid anything happens.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My Skylar had a heart murmur when she was a pup and she lived until 10.5yrs! You don't say how old Bailey is but I would certainly give the pup a chance! I agree with Lulu though, if you can't afford, please contact a rescue, they will find a home that can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry for not explaining every detail as well as the murmer there's his breathing and raspy cough and in total he's collasped 3 times now!we've left him with the vet last night and was given a different injection and when the nurse took him out for the toilet first he was coughing and couldn't catch his breath!after his injection he was fine and ate his dinner which he has been on/off these last few days!so it's not just a murmer and don't want to give up on him but if he's not gonna have a normal life without stress or pain i will have to let him go!don't want you all to think i'd give up on my best buddy that easy!!!thanks for all your care and thoughts and info it's much appretiated and by the way he's 4 years old!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts