Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
lol

fresh fruit, dehydrated fruit, cubed cheese, peanut butter and in fact if you purchase a dehydrator at wal-mart or target for less than 40 dollars, you can take scraps of chicken and beef and just make jerky and feed them that. and then before your fresh fruit goes bad, dehydrate it and you've got treats to last you longer. right now i'm using toys as treats and kongs, so i can't speak from experience on the dehydrator.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You can also just cut up any meat and cook it in an oven on very low heat for like 3 hours, then let it dry and you basically have little jerky bites. I have a recipe somewhere. They don't need to be refrigerated either if stored in an air-tight container.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Meghan:

When I put Bella on Raw at about 3 months old, It seemed overwhelming because there is alot of info and some are controversial ...veggies or no veggies...But after you do your research youll find what your comfortable with. I do feed bella basically all meat, no vitamin supplements, and occasionally I will give her some veggies or fruit. I even buy Prima Prepackaged Raw patties and give her a patty here and there just for the extra nutrients they provide (the patties are expensive so I will only give her one about every other day). Shopping is simple and I think its affordable too. Were a family of 6 so I shop once a week and pick up bellas food with ours. I always look for the reduced meat or meat thats on sale. Sometimes if I get alot then I will ziploc it into individual meals or I might just leave a pack of chix leg quarters in the fridge, its about 2-3 days worth. Once you start, it wont seem like a big deal and you feel good about providing your dog the best. I do get alot of questions from family and sometimes they make comment about our dog being "high class" :king: :lol: But we ALWAYS get comments about how "good" she looks. Her fur is really healthy looking and she looks nice and solid. So I have to say I am happy with her diet. Also, I got alot of good info on here. Theres always someone asking a question about RAW then you get to learn alot from the responses. Good Luck with your research, Id love to hear what you decide.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Great post and thank you Bella, for that. I've learned that even within the raw diet community there are even more factions of diets. One suggestion is to buy a big roll of butcher paper for 25 dollars via Amazon. My roll has lasted two 40 lb boxes of chicken backs and I'm about 1/4 of the way through it. That's ALOT of paper. It protects the meat from freezer burn, but the only downside is that it doesn't help the meat retain all the water content so when I weigh each wrapped chicken back, it will, for instance, weigh at 9 ounces, but then after being frozen for 2 weeks and then pulled out for a meal, it'll weigh 7 ounces. I'm sure they have coated butcher paper to retain moisture.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts