Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many people had some type of dog parks in their area.  We have one in Bowling Green and Deue and I have been goin the last few weeks.  He is still kinda shy around the bigger dogs but he finally had a break through today and played with other dogs.  If you do have one in your area how long did it take your dog to get used to the whole park.  Deuce is 4 months old and one of the smaller dogs there even though he is already about 35 pounds.  I can't wait for anoher month of grownth to go by so he wil get out there and pay even more.  He also sleeps so good when we get home

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We dont have one, but I normally do boxer playdays with dogs I know or we do a get together with the dogs they are in our training school on Monday.   Dog Parks IMO are only as good as how they are run.   If its a free for all, then Id be nervous with other dogs not knowing their temperment.  Not only the dogs but the temperments of the owners.  It also freaks me out if the owner does not pick up their dogs dukes.  However ones run with some guidance are great.  Also ones that have difference section say for big dogs, little dogs etc are good too.

Exercise is Key - a Tired dog is a Happy dog!!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
We have one close to us in Highland Park part of LA but it's shady looking so I won't go there, ideally I'd like to find someone in our area to have play dates with. when I lived in Santa Cruz there was a dog park with a dog beach right across the street, I loved going there it was quite a bit of space for all the dogs to run around on the beach and play and it was clean since dogs were only allowed 4pm to sundown I think, can't remember.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We have 3... 2 right next to each other... one being the dog beach and the other a dog park. Then on a different part of town there is another dog park. They definitely aren't huge parks like I've seen some places have but they are pretty nice.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we have a few dog parks in our are, but i havent taken the girls there in a while. they seem to like it ok, but they like running by themselves in an open field more than with a bunch of other dogs

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Our ones in KY are pretty nice... they are HUGE cuz they were once horse runs and stuff... the ones in Indiana are ok... small and cost money to get in.  Dungy is really good playing w/ dogs his size or smaller, but he is still scared of bigger dogs.... he wants them to chase him or he wants to chase them.... he basically just likes running

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Our small little town doesn't have one, but I'm really not a big fan of them anyways....You might want to see if there is a Boxer meetup in your area, I love mine, Rebecca(sumyasmom) has one as well...I like that it's all the same breed, everyone really watches all the dogs and all step in if needed...There is a sticky topic in the General forum section with more info about them and a link

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Soccergk1987\";p=\"86041 said:
Our ones in KY are pretty nice... they are HUGE cuz they were once horse runs and stuff... the ones in Indiana are ok... small and cost money to get in.  Dungy is really good playing w/ dogs his size or smaller, but he is still scared of bigger dogs.... he wants them to chase him or he wants to chase them.... he basically just likes running
Yeah we received a comment from a couple at the dog park that brought they're little yorkie. The were impressed at how well Odin was playing with it. Most of the dogs that go to the dog park/beach are big dogs so it was really weird seeing the yorkie. When we go 90% of the time there is at least on other boxer there!! But yeah I'd love a boxer meetup... there aren't any in our area though!

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is one about 30min from us.  I have to agree with Heather.  The whole free-for-all thing kinda freaks me out.  My DH thinks I'm a tad over protective of the skin kids and fur kids.

·
Registered
882 Posts
We have a dog park about 30 minutes away in Tillsonburg, I like to take Gaby during the quiet hours because I'm not really a big fan of any dog park, to many owners doing everything but looking after there dogs....during the quiet hours Gaby likes it, we meet the odd other dog which is usually on a leash with there owner....I figure it's a good place to practice leash manners with the odd distraction of other dogs and people.

·
Registered
314 Posts
We have a nice dog park just about 3min from my house but we are in a small suburb It is nice we go during the summer and I let duke swim, I dont go when there are alot of dogs just bc some of the rich a holes dont pay attention to their dogs.  But for the most part is very nice, it has a small section for small dogs and the pond is sectioned off as well.  Then in Oklahoma city (20 min from me)there is an awesome one but I havent been to it, Im a little scared bc there is always so many dogs at least 20 everytime ive gone by there, everyone goes there.  
I wish we had boxer meetups near me, Ive tried to start one but cant get anyone.   We go to my dad's house he has 10acres and I let duke run around with his new black lab that he adopted.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
last time i took dungy to the dog park, there was 4 other boxers there... one was 11 years old and one was like 12 weeks

G

·
0 Posts
none around me, though i take mine to the little park next door..it's not fully fenced in, but my two don't run away...and there is a big field that lets them burn around it

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, I actually remember joking to my ex that walking the dogs was a great way to meet people,especially of the opposite sex :lol:  he was shocked when I said it, but it's very true... :) At least you know right up front that they like dogs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts