Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up all night long listening to a chorous of barking dogs around the neighborhood!  At one point I felt like one of those cartoons where he takes a sledge hammer and pounds himself in the head and knocks himself out.  I just wanted to get some sleep.

Why don't people train their dogs not to bark?   of better yet just keep them in the house so they aren't all alone out in the dark at night and howling at each other to keep each other company?    

Just venting here :?   I am very disgruntled and grumpy today from lack of sleep :wink:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Don't even talk to me!  Emmet's sister lives next door to me and her King Charles barks ALL NIGHT LONG!  It actually got to the point where I just went "Emmet, tell her to do something about it or I'm throwing a poisoned steak over the wall".  (Obviously I would never do that, but boy was I losing my patience big time.)

He eventually said it to her (after I had moved into the spare room at the far side of the house in an attempt to get some sleep) and she was like "I never even hear her barking".  But she did bring the dog into the house at night, thank God.

And small dogs have a far more irritating bark than big ones.  I was actually tempted to lean out the window and throw something at Sasha on several occasions.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
That's got to be on the top ten of most annoying things. That always reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Elaines neighbor goes on vacation and leaves the dog and it is constantly barking. Kind of funny watching someone else go through it, especially when trying to sleep.. Not too funny in real life tho!  :wink:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Can't you complain to the police? Disturbing the peace after 11pm or something? I used to have a 13year old german shepherd-cross next door who drove us mad  :x until my clever husband  :goodman: sold them a house and they moved away :dance: . Being almost completely deaf & blind i think she imagined things to bark at all day long. She was called Joy but she wasn't one. I have a Rott on the other side who after 2 years living here still barks at me but they're moving away too before the end of summer. Do we  :poked: stink or something?? Maybe we're terrible neighbours and don't know it 8O
I agree with 1stboxer - why have a dog if it's to leave it outside all night. If you're that scared of burglers buy an alarm.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="caillou\";p=\"7233":1sxmyacc] Do we

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yeah, you're right, I'm bloody adorable! :wink:  I've just agreed to babysit the Rotty's family's 12 year old son 5 days a week from 6pm until school next day for a month. Homework, cooking dinner and putting to bed. The parents have started new jobs 60 miles away and won't be living at home during the week. That's what you get when you're a nice natured boxer-owner neighbour who doesn't know how to say no:roll: !!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese kept me up one night. We didnt put Savannah in the kennel and she went nuts. Finally my boyfriend rolled over and told me that i needed to take her out and put savannah in the kennel. Even though the barking irritated the life out of me, i told him that if it bothered him THAT much to do it himself :D

. . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . and he did!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
WOW!!!  What are you? :crazy:

That is what I call an extremely nice neighbor!
I wish my neighbors were willing to take on my kids for a month!   8O  They wouldn't even have them for a day!  :lol:

Very nice....

·
Registered
977 Posts
I know- i'm quite worried about the responsibility!  But i keep telling myself that they're moving so it'll be the last favour ever :roll: ! I have said no to looking after the Rott though - he's scarey :no: !

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm sure it will be fine. At 12, kids can be very independent. It's not like he's a infant and you have to do everything for him.  :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm lucky I guess... my neighbors on both sides of me have dogs that are inside more than out. A few houses up has some poodles and if they are outside all they do is bark!! BUT they are also inside most of the time... though you definitely know when they are outside. There are neighbors on the other side of the street that has dogs too... but I hardly ever see them... they don't have fences and when there dogs are at side they're on a leash. I don't think anyone on MY block has a dog that is OUTSIDE more than in. Which is completely opposite of how I grew up... but I loved having Nikki inside (or chihuahua)... and I think that's how it should be!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I leave the door open all day when it's nice out and Voltaire prefers to stay out, as long as he can pop in from time to time to see what i'm doing. Aren't they just sooo curious/nosey :)  And then he's with us on our knees for cuddles until bedtime - in his bed under the stairs where he snores like a fog horn all night and sometimes barks when he's having one of those "chasing" dreams where his legs twitch- aaahhh, so sweet! :D
I'll keep you posted on the babysitting - starts Monday :roll: !

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jeez, Caillou, you're either very generous or a soft touch!  I'd be the opposite, I have to say - rotti: no problem, kid: no way!

I don't "do" children...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't know how to say no :? . I can't have kids myself (op in view this year for the endometriosis and cysts on both ovaries :roll: ) so maybe after a month of someone elses i won't want any!
My neighbours have been nice in general - i don't like leaving people in a mess if i can help out-and i have the room. I expect Voltaire will be over the moon to have the company of a 12 year old boy :D  -Look on the bright side!
Can you feed kibble to kids? It'd make things sooo much easier :lol:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I so know how you feel!!! My neighbors dog is out ALL the time and all he does is bark!!! :x I am always being woke up at all hours with his bark.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Barking dogs can be quite annoying at times...I think it depends on where you are whether you have any recourse or not...I live outside the city limits, so it's a lot harder to get results on anything...My biggest problem is roaming dogs, no leash law in effect obviously....

When I lived in So. Calif, we had a nasty neighbor that reported my 2 for excessive barking, which is such a crock..He was egging them on, by sticking his hand thru the fence, over the fence, you name it...The Animal Control sent us a letter of complaint regarding the problem, so yes, you can do something..Obviously if you can, it's best to try and resolve the problem directly with the owner, but that doesn't always work.....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I dont understand how someone can leave their dog out all night. Especially when they hear them barking.

When I get up in the morning, I let the dogs out to potty, and Chyna always lets out a few excited Yips when she runs out the door. and that is not acceptable to me (too early), but I haven't found a way to stop her.

My neighbors leave their annoying dog out in their front yard for hours on end, and that little thing bars at everything. Cars driving by, leaves blowing, people blocks down moving around. even though it's barking, and regardless of the time of day, they wont bring it in!

these are the people that threatened to call the cops on us the day we were moving in, because our dog was in the backyard barking for 10 minutes while we moved in the big furniture. The moving truck was backed up to the front door, and the guys were holding a couch, when the old guy came over and told us to stop our dog, or he'll call the police.   Are you kidding me?! ugh I dislike those people. I Could go on, there's tons more they do...but I wont. lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
I lived in a gated community, where one of my neighbors 2 german shorthairs bark almost non stop from the time they come out in the morning to the time they go to bed.
Mine on the other hand, my mixed female (german sheppard/border collie) does sleep 95 % of the time outside, we do not have a fenced yard but she stays pretty much home, does not bark unless there is something there (racoon,skunk,other dog or ups truck..lol).
Now our boxer puppy (just short of 4 months) if prevoked will bark that nasty irratating puppy bark non stop, but most of the time he is quiet unless there is something there ( learning the door bell, someone knocking stuff like that).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts