Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if I should put this in forum or in training....but anyway, Oggie is very well behaved.  But more frequently lately when I tell him no or try to take him outside, he will lower his front half and bark at me, and he starts pouncing almost backwards.  I read the sticky about dog body language and I can't tell if he's scared or just protesting.  It's similiar to a play stance but his ears are pinned back and you can tell he's not relaxed or happy.  This only happens sometimes when I tell him "NO" or try to make him do something or set limits/boundaries.  Maybe it's just natural for puppies (he's 17 weeks) to do this from time to time, but I'm wondering what my reaction should be.   If stand over him or approach, he barks more and keeps retreating.  If I say "NO!" he just barks more.

Should I ignore him?  If I leave the room he generally calms down and usually follows me like nothing happened.  That so far seems to be the best remedy but I'm afraid this is showing weakness.

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta does and has done the same thing for weeks...I will usually pick her up and show her that I'm boss...but I never look straight in her face...that's just rude...lol...it usually calms her down and gets her to listening to me...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you want him to go outside and he is refusing, then you pick him up and make him go outside.  It may sound a bit silly and your bound to look like an idiot, but it will work.  By letting it go, you are teaching him that if he throws a fit her can get out of it.

Something else to consider:

When you want to take him out and he protests like this, has it occured to you that he may be warning you about something outside.  Lilly has done that to me.  When she did it, I looked out the door and found, just on the other side, one of the biggest centipedes I have ever seen.  Big ol' nasty looking sucker.  She knows I ahet them, so she was letting me know not to go out.  I took her to my other backdoor and told her to go out and she went like there was no issue.  The issue was the other door.

So, as you can see, he may just be trying to tell you something.

G

·
0 Posts
good point Liz...I always assumed they were too young to really notify us at this age...I'll take that into consideration next time

·
Registered
942 Posts
Kaci does the same thing, not about going outside, but if I try to tell her "NO" about barking or whatever else, she starts to bark at me like it's play time. She puts her butt in the air, then runs around humping and barking at me like its a game. I can't ever catch her to make her stop, so I've tired ignoring it, but she's almost 2 and has done this since she as a puppy.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points everyone, it does sound like he's testing me.  That probably should have been obvious but sometimes you just need another opinion.  I'll hold my ground!  Thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It does sound more like he's testing you..Heck even Angel does that occasionally at 2...But Liz is also right, don't overlook the fact that Oggie could be warning you of something...I have had Samson absolutely refuse to go forward on a walk before, never did figure out what caused it, but it's hard to argue with 75 lbs of muscle, so we turned around.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts