Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if I should put this in forum or in training....but anyway, Oggie is very well behaved.  But more frequently lately when I tell him no or try to take him outside, he will lower his front half and bark at me, and he starts pouncing almost backwards.  I read the sticky about dog body language and I can't tell if he's scared or just protesting.  It's similiar to a play stance but his ears are pinned back and you can tell he's not relaxed or happy.  This only happens sometimes when I tell him "NO" or try to make him do something or set limits/boundaries.  Maybe it's just natural for puppies (he's 17 weeks) to do this from time to time, but I'm wondering what my reaction should be.   If stand over him or approach, he barks more and keeps retreating.  If I say "NO!" he just barks more.

Should I ignore him?  If I leave the room he generally calms down and usually follows me like nothing happened.  That so far seems to be the best remedy but I'm afraid this is showing weakness.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points everyone, it does sound like he's testing me.  That probably should have been obvious but sometimes you just need another opinion.  I'll hold my ground!  Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.