Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was Tysons first night with us and let me tell you it was a looooong one. I work 2nd shift so i'm usually up until 1 or 2 in the morning which is a good thing because that way he won't be in his cage at night quite so long. Anyway.... I put him in his cage around 1:30am after a nap pee and another partial nap. He whined a little bit but then went to sleep while I was in the room. Then he woke up and started barking & crying and I was waiting for him to stop so I could let him out without him thinking that whining will make us come and let him out but he just kept it up for about 30-45 minutes!!! Finally I got up and let him out. He had peed and pooped in his cage a little bit so I got it cleaned up and put him back in there. He started to cry and whine with me still in the room trying to calm him down. Finally I went to bed and just hoped he would get tired and go back to sleep. He finally did.....after an hour!!! He slept for about an hour then woke up cried for an hour etc etc until my girlfriend finally got up with him this morning. She laid down with him on the couch and he went right to sleep.  Every puppy I've ever had in the past will whine, cry, bark, etc for about 15 20 minutes then give up but he is a determined little guy. I know every puppy is different and it will take some time but does anyone have some suggestions for me to help him at night???

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Warm water bottle, watch on stuffed animal, article of your clothing (not something new of course)... those are a few things you can add in there.

Odin was like that. He finally just grew out of it. It amazed me... sometimes it sounded like there were THREE DIFFERENT dogs in the crate (barking, whining, whimpering)!!! He also made messy in his crate and it was sized down to where he wasn't suppose to do that. He still dislikes his crate... we have to guide him in by his collar and he's 11 months old now. Hopefully it stops soon... we use to take his crate and move him to the laundry room when he'd CONTINUOUSLY CRY... so that there were 3 doors to quiet down the AMAZINGLY LOUD CRYING and even then you could still hear him.

We learned the hard way... don't buy an expensive dog bed till MUCH LATER... he was very destructive along with whiny while learning to "enjoy" the crate.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
204 Posts
How old is your puppy? I think buying him a bed and put it next to your bed on the floor should help. My puppy just jumped in his bed and slept all night. Marie is right, don't buy an very expensive one because he will grow out of it fast.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm amazed that he can bark & cry and howl that long!!! I didn't think he was ever going to stop. We have him in the room right next to ours so closing the doors helped a little. Needless to say I slept with earplugs in last night...... I put a ticking clock next to his cage last night and that didn't help, I mentioned to my girlfriend about the water bottle this morning and she thought it was a good idea. We don't have one so I'm going to head to wal-mart and pick one up. We had the breeder put a small towel in the pen with him & the rest of the litter a few days before we picked him up and our plan was that if we put it in his cage with him it would make him feel a little more at home....it didn't. He just pooped all over it. LOL His cage is sectioned off enough so there is enough room for his food & water bowl and him to turn around and lay down.  I've read in a few places to cover his cage to make it more "den like" I'm going to cover it a little bit but I worry about him chewing on whatever I use to cover it up.
He's only 8 weeks old so I don't trust leaving him out and sleeping in a bed next to ours. We will have little Tyson poo land mines and puddles everywhere when we wake up!!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
we had that issue w/ dungy for a few days... it was horrible the first night, but my bf and i would go downstairs when we put him in his cage and let him cry to he was asleep, knowing that he peed when we put him in... then when he woke up from sleeping in the middle of the night we would take him out cause it usually was having to go potty... we never took him out unless he was sleeping beforehand and woke up so then he never figured out that we would let him out if he cried all the time.

My bf put one of his shirts in there w/ him too and covered the cage so he couldnt see stuff

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
we used a cheap sheet to cover him so if he pulled it in to chew, it wasnt that big of a deal

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started out staying in the room with him until he fell asleep but I don't want to start that habit so no more of that.... I was waiting for him to stop so I could let him out but he didn't stop!!! LOL I finally fell asleep and didn't wake up until he started again. We were using towels for him to lay on but he's dirtied them up alreadyso  I just put an old sheet in there and he went in and laid down!! I'm really relieved to see that.... I also read about using cardboard instead of blankets to cover the cage. I'm not worreid about him tearing up the sheets we have plenty of old sheets I just worry about him choking or eating it... When he wakes up i'm going to be cutting up some cardboard!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
lol, dungys cage is mad up of a pillow wrapped in an old sheet and a washable doggie bed... it sucked the first night though having to hear him cry... it was soo depressing cause u could hear him crying into the pillow lol... thats why the bf and i stayed downstairs until it was quiet, just had to turn the tv up... it gets alot better, dungy is 4 months and walks in his cage at night now

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was sad hearing him and his little bark bark howl/whine.... at that time of night/morning I was feeling more sorry for my poor girlfriend that had to get up and go to work this morning!!! We had it really easy with our border collie. He cried for a few minutes the first night and hasn't let out a whimper since (he's 8 months old now) He doesn't sleep in his cage anymore, well we don't make him sleep in it anymore but he likes it and still goes in there for naps from time to time. I sure hope we can get Tyson that comfortable with his cage.... I know it's a normal thing for him to cry but hearing you guys say you went through the same really makes me feel better....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Kash came home at 11weeks, and it took be about a good month before I slept thru the night, him about 3 weeks. Welcome to puppyhood its like a newborn baby!!!  Best thing to do is not give in to him.   Is the crate near your bed?  Or in another room??  Maybe try some light classical music - sounds corny but can easy him into some sleep.  Also maybe a little exercise or play session right before bed, makes mine always ready to hit the hay.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
ive heard of a lot of puppy's doing that.. ive had 2 dogs indoors that were crated a cocker spaniel  and harley.. both of which went in kennel fine and slept wonderful.
however i got harley a HUGE  plastic taxi like crate and he loves it.. much better than the wire crate.. he will just lay in it with his head out the door  and chew his toy

maybe you could try a closed in kennel.. it may make it feel more "den" like to him. and a place to hide when he is "scared" so he may / or may not cry anymore
just a thought im no expert at this by no means

·
Registered
780 Posts
Boxers are such strong family dogs that they need to be with their family all the time.  I know that all of ours have always followed us to every room we go to and at night have always slept in our room.  We have never had a problem with puppies crying at night but they have always slept in our room.  We use a rubbermaid tote that is large enough the puppy can't climb out and that is what they nap in and sleep in at night.  It is right beside our bed.  During the night when they wake up they will cry a little and we take them outside to potty right away then back to the tote to sleep.  We have a blanket in there for them to lay on and another for a cover (ALL our boxers sleep with a cover on)  :lol:  After they out grow the tote they move to the mat beside the bed.  We use a baby gate at the door to the room so if they do get up and we don't know it they can't go out of the room and usually just whine to be let out.

Good luck, it takes alot of patience and commitment with the new little babies!  :D
Here is a picture of Ziggi as a puppy in his tote.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is definitely a "family dog" when he naps he is always laying on us or right near us..That tote is a good idea!! I know some people say having the cage in the same room as you sleep helps since they know you are nearby. Ziggy is a cute lil guy, especially with his tongue hanging out while he sleeps!!!  :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok Our first boxer Bo I was determined I was not going to have a puppy sleep with us so I stated the crate training.  Well all he did was cry cry scream cry whine ect....all night long for weeks and weeks, It was horrible.  But eventually he got used to it and was ok with it.  We had Bo for 9 years.  Then we just got Rocky a few months ago I though to myself man I am older now and not as patient so I decided to let Rocky sleep with us.  He never cried once and sleeped the entire night without having to go out.  I thought wow is this great!!  He has done really well as long as he gets to cuddle up next to us he is great.  Now when we crate him while we work he is screaming when we leave and screaming when we come back!!  LOL  I dont know how you feel about letting him sleep with you but if you dont have a problem with it, it might be the answer, or just stick it out and eventually he will come around.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
its my understanding that you never put food or water IN the crate over night..they get anxious and eat & drink and there you go pee and poop everywhere...

covering the crate is a life saver !!! it works wonderfully...we cut up cardboard and let the kids decorate it..and the dogs walk in the non toxic paint and walk on it too hehe..was cute..

we never put the crate in our room b/c we thought that when we need to crate them to leave the house theyd cry & bark  b/c we werent there...if the crates covered they dont know the difference..wed leave the tv on though...on a music channel..usually classical..

that tote idea is a great one !!! lol loved the pic !..even the 32 gallon totes are like 8 bucks..good idea !!!

hope tonite is a better one for you..it gets better :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't think about the water, but I did take his food out. It seemed he was just eating to eat yesterday so I took it out when i put him in for bed. I just got done cutting up some cardboard boxes for the sides back and top. Hopefully that helps a little bit. Wal mart has a BUNCH of crates on sale here. That will be my next option if he doesn't start making improvements in about a week or so.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
it sucks that there are so many ideas on how to make him better but u have to wait for bed to try it and if it doesnt work, u gotta wait till the next night lol

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, you got a lot of good advice, so not much to add, except be patient....I remember years ago when we brought Buck home I went around and apoligized to the neighbors, cos I'm sure they all heard him howling at nite..... :) It does get better, but takes time & earplugs are a good idea, I noticed you said you used them  :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We just got really luck with Jackson and dogs i've had in the past. He's actually went in his cage and slept a few times today while i've been in here (the computer room is where is h cage is) Yep i've added earplugs to my wal mart list so my girlfriend can wear some tonight if she needs to.....

·
Registered
780 Posts
One more thing if you do try the tote.  It was always on my side of the bed and if the puppy had any problems going right back to sleep after waking up to potty I would just put them in their tote and go to bed with my arm laying off the bed into the tote...that was usually all they needed and fell right back to sleep so your arm wasn't dangling off the bed for long.   :D

We moved the tote around to the rooms we were in during the day so whenever the puppy was tired we put him in it to nap.

Good luck!  Hope one of the things mentioned by everyone helps you!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts