Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female boxer Willow never ever used to bark. Now we have some people working on building a fence in our backyard, she goes to the window and will bark (not loud barks) and sometimes let out a growl (not showing teeth or anything). It's like she's become protective of the house, which to be honest I kind of like. She isn't upset when people come in the house or if I were to let her meet the people in the backyard...she'd still dissolve into her happy wigglebutt self with them. She's also started doing the same thing (small barks) when people ring the doorbell. She turned 1 at the end of June.

Is this normal for them to become protective? Seemed like it happened overnight. I've heard of Boxers being protective (she is my first dog) but hadn't seen it yet!
Is yours protective?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Kai isn't really protective at all, but he will give a little bark or two when he hears a strange noise or if someone kicks on the door. its more like a "what, whats that bark then I lighter tell him its ok or if someone comes in he is all wiggly.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Zuke started doing something similar a few months before he was 1.

As soon as the sun goes down if someone knocks on the door or he hears a noise by the house he growls. I'm fine with that though. He has been doing that for the last 8 months and it never extended to anything else.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
This really ... is not a freak out situation. :)

People are actually invading her space and she is letting you know they are there. She is doing her job. It's your job to let her know ... it's OK. If she barks at the window repeatedly and constantly ... yeah that would get up old.

Indoors telling her leave it, enough no and or got to bed ... should be sufficient or No and Down if she knows "Down" ... that's a "Buzz Kill' for Boxers. :)

Most likely the fence thing will be over in a couple of days anyway but ... if you want to do something that will be helpful ... "anyway" you could spend some time with her out there on leash, observing the happenings and just ... "Sit."

Sit on the Dog ... details are in here ... uh somewhere. :
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

If you can't find it ... let me know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree it's about protecting their area & you. I'd also say it depends on the dog's personality.

Our backyard has a privacy fence, and we have neighbors on all sides of it. Jax, our alpha male, can be sitting on me on the couch (80# lapdog) and hear something out there. We call it him 'warming up' - before he's made it out the doggie door, he's started a low growl, so that when he gets through the doggie door he has a good bark coming out.

Tundra, his beta brother, will sometimes go to the middle of the yard and bark at whatever threat it is that Jax has discovered. We call Tundra's intermittent barks 'back-up' to Jax.

They will be 4 in October. They both LOVE people. If anyone comes in our house, they are soooo happy to say 'hello' and greet them. They don't bark if the doorbell rings or if there's a knock at the door.

Jax may sometimes see people walking in front of our house, and he'll let out a bark or two, and then proceed to the backyard so he can bark through the fence and protect his home.

They may come across to someone who does not know them as mean. Our neighbors know our boys and that they are friendly. If we had a lower fence, or chain-link, the boys would love to be pet by the neighbors.

When on a walk with Jax, or he's on leash and harness going somewhere, he wants to be pet by pretty much everyone he sees. There's only been one person he's ever had a low growl towards, there was something about the man that Jax didn't like.

If his barking bothered the neighbors, we would train him not to do this. Currently on the rare occasion we think he needs to stop we close the doggie door for a bit. This works for us in our house and neighborhood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts