Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1 1/2 year old boxer, Zoey, is such an extremely wonderful pup, except.....when she decides she doesn't like what I'm saying/doing and she begins to bark and talk back uncontrollably. Anytime I'm eating she barks non stop at me. When I tell her to sit or do something that she doesn't want to, she barks and does the typical boxer talk back type of thing. Keep in mind that she only does this to me and not to my fiancé or when he is home.

I've tried everything....walking away, turning my head from her, snapping my finger at her, squiring her with a water bottle lol you name it I've tried it. It's super frustrating & my boyfriend is convinced that it's because she thinks that she's alpha over me and that I baby her too much.

So any help in correcting this behavior or any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
So my 1 1/2 year old boxer, Zoey, is such an extremely wonderful pup, except.....when she decides she doesn't like what I'm saying/doing and she begins to bark and talk back uncontrollably. Anytime I'm eating she barks non stop at me. When I tell her to sit or do something that she doesn't want to, she barks and does the typical boxer talk back type of thing. Keep in mind that she only does this to me and not to my fiancé or when he is home.

I've tried everything....walking away, turning my head from her, snapping my finger at her, squiring her with a water bottle lol you name it I've tried it. It's super frustrating & my boyfriend is convinced that it's because she thinks that she's alpha over me and that I baby her too much.

So any help in correcting this behavior or any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Going to have to agree with the boyfriend. lol Especially the fact she doesn't do it to him.

My guy Zuke was the same with my gf. Finally got her to realize that being stern and only giving praise after he listened and was calm was not being "mean".haha Also because he was more receptive to my tone I told her to use a lower voice.

He listens to her just like he listens to me now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to have to agree with the boyfriend. lol Especially the fact she doesn't do it to him.

My guy Zuke was the same with my gf. Finally got her to realize that being stern and only giving praise after he listened and was calm was not being "mean".haha Also because he was more receptive to my tone I told her to use a lower voice.

He listens to her just like he listens to me now.

lol I guess I need to try the lower voice haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, interesting my first question would be ... who is the primary caretaker and trainer??

Me for sure. I successfully trained her in every other aspect but for some reason she started this habit.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Kinda sorta what I thought. It's a girl Boxer thing for the most part. And yes ... it could become a problem in the sense that the more a dog practices a behaviour ... the better at it they become! :)

Sigh ... I' gonna put my make believe "Pro" hat on and say if it she were a WL GSD or a Malinois ... I would put a stop to that crap cold, hard, fast and now! A drag leash would be kept on her and a leash check issued or a Pet Convincer or a Bonker, for commands given and protested against ...under those circumstances. If you get behind on one of those dogs ... you can find yourself in deep waters because as a general rule ... those dogs (breeds) don't do that ... if one does, you have a problem!

But ... she is not one of those breeds, she's a Boxer and a Bully and yeah with some of those guys ...it's just what they do. Rotties come to mind, they gripe and protest and grumble over uh anything and so do apparently female Boxers! :)

So ... that would be the solution for those dogs and yeah most likely your Boxer also ... address the issue directly and correct her! Buttt ... even though I still currently Boxerless. :(

I still consider myself fundamentally a Boxer guy and I luv the girls. So ... outhink her is your solution! Don't think of this as an "issue" think of it as an opportunity. All you have to do is "out think her."

This is an excellent opportunity to train a "NO!" When trained properly ... it is an actual command. No, is what I used to train Struddell to chase bunny rabbits in the desert to the North Mountains and not South Hwy. Off leash and at distance in the NV desert ... no problem. When properly taught "NO" means stop what you are doing and don't do it again!

You may already have the command you need first already trained, your just not using it.Does she know "Down??" If not ... then you need to train that first. And Down will mean ... stop doing what your doing because play time is over!

Struddell taught/showed me the power of Down. She'd be having one of her moments doing ... whatever, I'd say NO, she'd keep doing it ... then I;d drop the "Down Hammer and Down she'd go. I knew that ticked her off because she'd blow her flues in protest ... but she complied. :)

I got more but for your immediate issue, I think "Down" is going to be your best solution. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts