Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently encountered a problem with Scout barking at a squirrel.  The squirrel has made a home in our tree in our back yard and he is constantly barking at it.  The squirrel teases him unmercifully and our neighbor 2 doors down works nights and sleeps days.  I did not know that it was such a problem but apparently when my son leaves them outside for an hour before I get home at lunch, he keeps the neighbor up.  The neighbor called the Animal Control officers on us and we got a citation.  (Hubby was home that day and dogs were only out for a few minutes before he brought them back in).  

Anyway, I wrote an apology to all the neighbors and gave them my number.  I only work 5 min away from home and can come home and let them in.  Well, when Randy (neighbor) called and fessed up, I told him how sorry we were and we were working on a solution.  The only solution we have come up with so far is to put Scout in the garage and we sprayed "hot pepper spray" on the tree and the shed.  Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of squirrels?  (Short of cutting down the tree).  Or possibly, how to train him not to bark at the squirrel?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We have a lot of squirrels in our yard also, but Samson never barks at them. He's tried to tree them, but that's about it..I'll have to ask hubby about that, he might have an answer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I cannot believe you got a citation for the dog barking.  Maybe because it is the end of the month.... that seems a bit excessive.  As for getting rid of squirrels, I don't know.  The only suggestion I have is praise when Scout is not barking up the tree "good no-barK" or use some sort of leave it command.  As with anything you would have to constantly monitor the behavior for a bit while training the new one but the weekend is coming.  At least it would be a start until you could get rid of the squirrel.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the winter weather coming in, they will be outside less and less.  I don't think the squirrels are as bad in the spring/summer.  If you do think of something just let me know.  Thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I asked hubby for some suggestions & I got a few. First off I hope I don't offend anyone with what I say. I'm not sure where you live, city or rural, but his recomendation is to kill the squirrel. He's raised & trained dogs & believe it or not, he's saying that Scout has great instincts for hunting, which is what he's trying to do. If you can do this, make sure Scout is in the house & try if at all possible not to leave any scent on the ground for him to pick up.

If this isn't an option, I am not sure what else to suggest, unless you can trap it. Hope this helps & again I hope I haven't upset anyone.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Keeping in mind that our city also has an excessive barking ordinance, and that it's also illegal to kill animals within city limits, my best recommendation to you is to never leave him outside unattended. If he's out long enough to bark to the point of having you cited by Animal Control, he's out way too long.

Most cities, like mine, have a time limit. Ours is absolutely stupid - it's 7 minutes. . . Why not 5 or 10, I have no idea, but somehow they decided on the lucky number 7. :roll:

I would check into your town ordinances and see exactly how long is "too long" for him to be out barking, and just make sure to get him into the house before that time period has lapsed.

I DON'T think that dogs should have to be absolutely silent their entire lives long, and it totally pisses me off that my neighbors with NINE children can allow their children to run in the street in front of our house screaming their heads off in the summertime, but my dog isn't allowed to bark happily for more than 7 minutes. What is wrong with this picture??

Unfortunately, if you find yourself in further trouble with Animal Control, you may just have to resort to a no bark collar, be it a citronella, sound, vibrating or electronic stimulation type. Unfortunately, this is the type of thing that these kinds of laws are pushing us into, however, we also can't continue to be cited for these types of things either.

It's better to use the collar, however inhumane it may be, than it is to have your dog taken away.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I googled something about getting rid of squirrels and found a site called Scare Away.  It sells powders for all sorts of pests.  The squirrel "flavor" if you will smells like the squirrels mortal enemey so supposedly keeps it off of your things, out of your yard, etc, etc.  Perhaps that will help......
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd be interested also in that...I also realize what I said for a solution would not apply to everyone. We live outside the city limits, fairly rural actually so what I had suggested is something we would be able to do..

And Jessica, yea I totally agree with what you said about the strange "time limit" ..Who came up with 7 minutes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts