Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ginsy has started barking to get attention.  It is all playfull and in good fun.  But I don't like her barking at me or the DC. Its rude and I don't want her thinking its ok and to bark at visitors to our home.  I also don't want it to become an aggression issue or alpha dog issue down the road.

So what are some good ways to train her not to bark at me?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie does the same thing...  when we are sitting watching tv or whatever, she is always woo wooing at us and barking... usually at my boyfriend, cause hes the one that does most of the playing, and serious walks...   i have a sprained ankle so i cant do much with her anymore!!

If there is a way to stop them from barking other then a shock collar id also be interested to know...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
With Chloe we always told her "chloe hush hush" and she would settle down some, savvy though doesnt bark. I havent heard a peep out of her since we got her a little over a month ago.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes - you can train to stop barking on command.  The obedience class I just finished showed you how to.  Their method was to first get the dog to bark on command.  If there is something you know that your dog will bark at - get her to bark and say "SPEAK" when she does it - do this like 20-30 times over a week period of time.  

The next week - say "SPEAK" and if they don't do it - then be prepared to do what ever it is that makes them bark (my dog will bark back if I bark at her - she will also bark at the bitter apple bottle :lol: ).  When they bark give a treat - then after 2-3 times of "helping" them bark - give the "SPEAK" command and they should have put 2 and 2 together and they should know that this means to bark - treat ONLY when you have given the command and they do it.  Once you have done this at least 30 times over a week and they are really reliable then move to the next step.

Say "SPEAK" - then right afterwards say "HUSH" (or QUIET- whatever you want to use).  If you clicker train - click about 1 second after you say QUIET when they are not barking and then treat.  Do this 20-30 times.  NO LONGER TREAT FOR "SPEAK" - ONLY TREAT for "HUSH".

Once this is established - bring out what makes them bark again (ringing door bell, etc.) - say "QUIET" and when they comply - even for a second treat (click and treat if you have clicker trained).  After 30 times, don't treat until they are quiet for 5 seconds, and then 10 seconds....  after about 6 weeks they will get really good.  

This will take TIME - but I have seen it work over and over again with several dogs, you just have to be consistant and not move to the next step too fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts