Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Savannah came home on Saturday, and i am worried about her bathroom breaks. She is eating normal and drinking normal. Since she came home though she has only poo'd once (this was on Sunday). Also she will only pee if i am taking her out. I take her out in the morning(i got her to go on sunday and monday morning, but not tuesday) and then my boyfriend takes her out during the day since he works closer to home than i do. he says that she will not go-he has tried walking her for over 30 minutes without her going. I get home at about 730-745 in the evening and will take her out. after about a half hour of walking i can get her to pee, but not poo. She doesnt go in the house-there is no spots or piles anywhere. I am worried and concerned because she isnt going. Is this normal? Advice please!!  8O

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
that is strange...

When Jessie was a puppy she would rarely go when we took her out even for a half hour or more... but she would go.  She would wait till we got back inside to go...

Maybe its her adjustment to being in a new home?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I would give her at least a week or two before she really gets on a pee and poo schedule. I know you said she wasn't eating much the first few days. If there wasn't much going in, there won't be much coming out. I'd give her a few more days and see what happens. If you are still concerned, why don't you call the vet and have her checked out. I still think it is just that she is in a new environment and she is still getting used to everything. Good luck and keep us posted. :wink:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Maybe she is still getting used to her situation.  New home/new people...she could be a little timid or scared.  It's only been 4 days; sometimes it takes a few weeks for them to feel secure with new people.

It doesn't sound right that she is not relieving herself even to pee, though.  You would think she'd bust a bladder!  I can't remember...did you get her from a rescue?  Can you ask them what her habits were there?  I'm sure they checked on her health before they sent her out to you.  

Can you send her out on a long lead and watch her from the door?  Maybe she would be more comfortable that way?  If she doesn't go soon, you may have to take her in to be checked by the vet.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with everyone else has said...She's not eating a lot, so there isn't a lot to get rid of..She may just be a bit slow to get on a schedule...Have you talked to the breeder you got her from? She may have some tips for you possibly...

I know some dogs really have an issue with someone watching them when they relieve themselves, I wonder if that could be part of it..I assume she's drinking water, right? If so, I would think that she would at least have to pee, so I can understand your concern. Give it a few more days and than perhaps you might want to call your vet, if the breeder hasn't shed any light on this....

Keep us posted, ok? How is she acting, other than that Andrea? Does she seem to be adjusting allright?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She drinks to my knowledge. When i fill her bowl, i will set it down for her to drink. If i pay attention to her she wont go near it, but once i ignore her she will drink. I am starting to think she is shy. I cant be holding her leash when she does her duty. If i let her go, then she will sniff and eventually pee/poo.  I dont like letting her off lead though on our walks due to the fact we live on a busy road, and i dont want her to spook and run into traffic. Other than the bathroom issue she is progressing wonderfully. She follows me everywhere and plays with ciara very gently, almost like she doesnt want to hurt her "child" :) she is still very shy around my boyfriend which i find funny since he is the one that spends the most time with her. As soon as i get home she runs to me and sticks to me like glue until i leave for work the next day :lol: She loves the kong as well. i need to get her an adult one though-all we had was a puppy one from Chloe. Plus she terrorizes the cat! Poor Prince runs away. He used to be able to run upstairs to get away-but she has figured out the stairs and pursues now!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sounds to me like you're getting to understand your new dog! Why don't you get a long line (20 -30 foot) that you can let out for her bathroom privacy.  I use one all the time with my dogs.  That way you don't have to worry about anyone taking off and getting lost or run over.  Every one is different, and I had one that wouldn't eat if you looked at her.  She also didn't like you to watch when she pooped.  Modest I guess.  A good way to help with dry stools is to add a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin to each meal .  It also helps with loose stool as it is a fiber and it helps give consistency.  Godd luck with your new baby, you are getting to know one another and it's very nice to hear.

Namaste'

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You know I didn't even think of the leash thing. When I first got Maddie, she was around 16 months old, and she didn't even know what a leash was. Sad, I know. Anyhow, here I was walking her for potty, because I don't have a fenced in yard, and she hated pooping on the leash. I would be walking her, getting frustrated because she wasn't doing anything, for over a hour sometimes. Very frustrating on the last walk when you want to go inside and go to sleep!  :|  Yes the 30 foot leash is an excellent idea! I wish I had thought of that with Maddie. I can bet she will do a lot better when she can sniff and go potty on her own. Good Luck. Let us know how she does. :wink:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately i am not able to do the long line. We live in a townhome and the backyard is just not big enough for a line. My girl is funny, she wont go in the backyard. We recently did some gardening changes and when she came home she walks delicatley around the flowers, but wont go potty. We have to take her out front or along the side, so i have to make sure she is leashed. I think her main problem is that she gets distracted so easy! if she see's a shadow or hears/sees a car or person basically ANY noise out of the norm for her she freezes with one front paw up and looks around. Then i think she forgets what she is doing becuase she looks at me for direction!   :D so then we get to start back at square one with sniffing! Hopefully things will start getting regulated soon!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As we don't have a fenced yard either Andrea, I can definitely sympathize...Angel also gets distracted very easily and I have to remind her what we are out there to do...Not so bad now that it's getting warmer, but last month, oh man I was freezing to death standing outside with her.....I will be soo glad when we get our fencing done.... :) Savannah sounds like she's starting to get into the swing of things and it surprises me that she hasn't attached herself more to your b/f. Typically a female dog will as a male dog will attach more to a female.... :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Chloesmom\";p=\"4940":1tjwd29q]Unfortunately i am not able to do the long line. We live in a townhome and the backyard is just not big enough for a line. My girl is funny, she wont go in the backyard. We recently did some gardening changes and when she came home she walks delicatley around the flowers, but wont go potty. We have to take her out front or along the side, so i have to make sure she is leashed. I think her main problem is that she gets distracted so easy! if she see's a shadow or hears/sees a car or person basically ANY noise out of the norm for her she freezes with one front paw up and looks around. Then i think she forgets what she is doing becuase she looks at me for direction!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts