Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Lola is 12 weeks today!  She loves playing in the yard, especially in the dirt and her new favorite foods are leaves, mulch and twigs  :?  I try my hardest to get all rock and mulch out of her mouth before she swallows it!  Anyways, my pretty white pup is filthy!  I know you're suppose to give boxers a bath once a month (if necessary) in the summer and once every two months in the winter.  Is it too soon to give Lola a bath?  She has a vet visit on Saturday and for some reason my boyfriend wants to give her a bath before that.  Thank you!  Hope all is well with everyone and their boxers  :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
We bring jessie in the shower with us a little fun I guess to keep her still and I kno some people put there boxers in the sink

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If she's filthy, by all means give her a bath!  :p  Just use common sense and make sure the water is warm and use a gentle wash. In between baths I use baby wipes to wipe Maddie down, they really grab the dirt! I also use unscented baby wipes around her jowels and I clean her ears with them too. They work wonders! Let us know how Lola's vet visit goes.  :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
We actually give ours a bath on average once a week or two. She has a shiny coat and dosen't shed much. She dosen't dry up much or itch as a result to the frequent bathing. We use a puppy shampoo that's not  too rough on her skin. We take her to the dog park and doggie daycare a lot so she gets pretty dirty. I know this is way more frequent then advisable but I can't stand her running around the house all filthy. I am very parnoid about getting her ears wet. Is the shower ok if we dry her ears off really well?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think it's quite good to get them used to baths or showers quite regularly early on - Voltaires fine with going in either. But if i hadn't made it a habit i wouldn't have a hope of forcing him in now - he's way too strong. I don't wash his head ever - like tootsie i go for the baby wipes. Never forget about the ears - especially uncropped they get filthy and need a clean out once a week or so to avoid build up and risk of getting ear mites. Best to start on that early too 'cos they don't like it much :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
With Buck & Tia, I never gave them baths, believe it or not...Both of them were in the pool constantly and they never had that doggie smell or were dirty. Now when I kenneled them, absolutely they got a bath!
I give Samson a bath every couple months usually. He's pretty clean actually, more often in the summer, just to cool him off. But both him & Angel do quite well once they get in the tub. Samson esp. He just stands there and waits patiently for the ordeal to be over with..Lol...
Definitely start giving Lola baths now, it will make it easier if you start early..Just make sure if it's cold, to keep her warm until she is thoroughly dry...Use a real mild doggie shampoo on her too.... :)
Tootsie, thanks for the tip about baby wipes, didn't know that one....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie gets a bath about every other week.  I'm allergic to dogs and I get hives.  Usually when I get hives I know it's time for Charlie to get another bath.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have to wash Chloe every week.  We found out 2 months after we got her that my youngest son is very allergic to dogs - which is an allergy to their saliva and dander.  Washing gets it all off once a week!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips!  I would have never thought of using baby wipes.  Last night when Lola crawled up on my lap and started to fall asleep I tried cleaning just her paws with the wipes...but she woke up and just wanted to eat them...they were working though!  I have cleaned her ears once, I used a cotton ball soaked in warm water, but made sure all excess water was rung out so nothing would drip in her ear and I only cleaned what I could easily get at.....she didn't like that much either!  So I think I'll try the bath thing tonight or tomorrow...this should be interesting  :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I gave Cali a bath on her first night home! Maybe a little too soon, she shaked and shook and was all disturbed! Havent done it again in 3 weeks, but it is definately time, so tonight she will get a nice warm bath!!! I am glad I read this section, I was a little worried about bathing too frequently..

·
Registered
162 Posts
With puppies - the bathtub can be scary - we used to feet Chloe treats while we bathed her.  She still doesn't like it much, but she isn't scared anymore.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel showed interest in the pool as I was taking it down last weekend. (yes..late I know. lol)

So I put him in the tub with just a tad bit of water on one end, for him to put his feet into.

I want him coming to the lake with us later this summer, so hopefully he'll like the water.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try not to put water in their ears. my other boxer used to get infections because it gets humid especialy when I take him swimming or after a bath.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink has only been bathed twice since we've had her - 3 times a year is what my vet advised for short-haired dogs.

I've definitely found that brushing her is usually sufficient - she has come in from walks looking more like a Brindle than a white, but as soon as the mud dries, it just brushes right off.  My friend Aoibheann refers to her as the self-cleaning dog!  If she has stepped in poop or something I use baby-wipes to clean it off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts