Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ever since my wife and I picked out a puppy a few weeks ago I've been looking on this forum gathering all kinds of wonderful knowledge.

On Friday we went and picked up Baxter.  He was 7 weeks old on Friday and we have been very excited to have him home.  He has done alright in his crate at night; waking up every couple of hours to go out to the bathroom.  He already LOVES to lay on the couch in a blanket with us and sleep.  I have a feeling we're creating a monster  :D

I do have a couple of questions, he seems to try and naw on his tail; is this normal.  I don't want him to loose hair from nawing.  He also gets what sounds like hiccups after eatting and sometimes drinking.  I figured he is just eatting to fast because he's use to sharing with his littermates.

I'll try and post some pictures, hopefully it'll work.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Aww welcome home Baxter. He is such a cutie, looks like he'll be a stocky little guy.

Hiccups are very normal for pups to have, Sadie used to have them at least once a day. Now she maybe has them once every couple of weeks. (she's nearly 5months)

Can't wait to see more pics of Baxter and hear more about the little guy  :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great Name(we have have a Baxter, as well, see avatar :D) As a puppy, he had the hiccups all the time, he still gets them once in a while...for a while he tried to gnaw at his tail, but that went away as time went on. I figured it itched because it was healing, I could be wrong!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Awww Baxter is a sweety!!!  Frankie is the same age and she has been getting hiccups too, pretty normal I think.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Baxter is so cute!
Daisy used to get the hiccups quite frequently when she was a pup. She still occassionally gets them now and she is 2 and a half years old now. It's quite cute though- a hiccupping puppy!

Heather

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome home Baxter, you are just a cutie.  Kiah doesn't naw at her tail but she does chase it  :lol:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Baxter is a handsome fella.  Looking forward to more pics soon.

Bo chases his tail, Laila chews on it for him.  No hair loss yet.  Both babies have hiccups frequently.  I think it's okay.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Delila used to hiccup when we first got her now they are less frequent, baxter is a handsome boy, looks like he eas a little belly.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome home Baxter, he'a handsome boy...Ditto what was said about the hiccups. Angel still gets them occasionally, she sound so cute when she gets them......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the kind replies, I haven't had much time to get on this week.....new puppies are very exhausting 8O He has been great.  He gets up every couple of hours and we take  him out.  The crate is going okay at night, but he still likes to be as close to us as possible to sleep.

Has anyone ever used an outdoor/indoor exercise pen to keep their dogs in inside?

I'm sure I'll have tons of pictures; my wife loves to take them :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Can't wait to see more pics of Baxter, they grow so darn fast...I've never used a pen inside...Seems to me, some one else suggested a play pen as an alternative to use, which is a good idea

G

·
0 Posts
my puppy Jetta is 4 months...she still tries to chew her tail...and gets hiccups

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Baxter is adorable! Congrats!

I guess you could use an ex pen to keep him in, but you may run into potty issues with that. The whole idea with the crate is that they won't want to eliminate where they lie or sleep. An ex pen gives them more room to eliminate in a corner and sleep in another one. I wouldn't use it for housebreaking, maybe just to keep him and your house safe if he can't be supervised for short periods.  :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congratulation on you new baby--Baxter is very handsome.........as for the hiccups, Zeus gets them usually at night when he first lays down to go to sleep, doesn't seem to bother him. I was always told it meant you were growing from my grandma...lol......

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoosier is 9 months and still tries to chew his tail. He also gets hiccups, but usually after he wakes up from a long sleep for some reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts