1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hawaii craigslist > big island > pets

BO - AN ADOPTION STORY
Date: 2008-04-16, 5:25PM HST

I am posting this story in the hopes that if you hesitate to adopt an older dog it will change your mind. I too once had such doubts. . .

Bo was found on the side of I-30 near an apartment complex. My son not wanting to see the dog run over tried to catch him. Bo trotted along until he came to an apartment door. A lady answered the door and stated that the dog was hers but she didn't care what happened to him anymore. She did not want him and he wasn't coming back into her home. With her permission my son brought Bo home.

For six months Bo cried for her. When a car with a familiar sound passed our house he ran to the window and cried a pitiful whaling sound as the car passed by. At other times he laid around the house with his chin on the floor and just stared.

Since Bo had been raised in an apartment he did not know how to run. At night my husband spent hours outside with him encouraging him to go faster than a trot. You should have seen the look on Bo's face when he realized how fast he could go! The first time he ran, when he realized how fast he was going, he stopped, sat down, and refused to move. Finally, with lots of encouragement, he got up and started to run again. After that he was off! running everywhere he went!

Bo had never had anyone play games with him either. Finally after a year he learned to play the only game we have been able to teach him. It is a form of keep away from the door - where we act like we are going to chase him and he runs. Sad as it sounds, that is the closest we have come to teaching him to play. But he loves it! You can almost hear him say,

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is a great story :)  My heart goes out to all seniors who end up in shelters and rescues once they are no longer wanted or needed anymore......They are so forgiving, if people could be only half that way.....

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm that makes me wonder since it SAYS it was here in hawaii on the big island..and Alicia lives in Mass...hmmmm..jeez i hope its not a lie.. :roll:  maybe Alicia was looking at craigslist in hawaii for some reason?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is a 30 ont he big island but that doesnt mean anything loll im sure there are plenty

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I actually saw that story the other day on my mailing list, but regardless, it's a wonderful story..It really is a shame when seniors end up in shelters, too many people don't realize how much these older Boxers have to offer..

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am a big fan of the older Boxer, I love the older dogs, mostly no chewing, no potty training, and they are much calmer but still playful.  I hate potty training!
-Rich

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
That's a great story! Always good to hear about ones like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts