Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any suggestions for bedding for a dog who loves to destroy his beds?  I have tried big soft beds, fleeces and bed spreads (duvets for you people on the other side of the Atlantic) and I even cut some plywood to size and made a cushion and he destroyed all of them.

I'll leave him safe toys and kongs with peanut butter and I think he is pretty much over his problems with being in the crate so I don't exactly think he is bored.  I think he is actually playing.  When he is out he loves to bury his toys under a blanket and attack the crap out of it.  

I don't know.  I just want him to be comfortable when he is crated but I don't think I can afford to buy him a new bed every month.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis is the SAME way !! but she digs at it to make it comfortable..have you SEEN him do it? is he just tryin to make it comfortable? if thts the case then uhmmm i dont know lol...we gave up on dog beds as Isis shreds them making them comfy..she tries that on the rug and couch too..grrrrr

maybe try a few cheap fleece blankets? or even old clothes? maybe he wont do it to that? old clothes would be comfy and would move around when he tried to dig at them..wouldnt shred so easy..

what do i know im just the resident blonde with the weird ideas hahahahaha..but its worth a shot

G

·
0 Posts
I put old towels in mine along with their fleecies...Bo always steals Jetta's blanket, but not her towels...(they share a crate with a divider...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, Ky, I think he is nesting too.  He just looks at me and pouts when I am leaving so I don't get to see him move the stuff around but he does nest when he is out so I assume he is doing the same crated.  I also stopped giving him stuffed animals to reduce his prey drive and stop giving him permission to unstuff things.

I may just go to old navy and buy a bunch more fleeces.  Every time I come home there is always some part of his body on the hard plywood and I don't like that.  Arthritis sucks and I don't want to get him a head start on that.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have this sheepskin that Rhonda gave me when we brought Angel home that is a great bed, it's washable, but it's not very thick...Sound salmost like he's nesting Dan, so cheap throws would probably be your best bet until he grows out of this stage...Obviously that nice new bed I got for Samson wouldn't be a good idea, huh?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo does the same thing..i'm s till finding pieces of stuffing under things from the last bed...i think i'm going to gove him my old body pillow from college, but i'm going to try it for a couple hours over the weekend in case i need a quick removal.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ya dan thats what i use..old navy fleeces...good time to get them too...2 for $10 right now i think..

right now i too have 3 old body pillows in her crate...for some reason she doesnt mess with them..i think its b/c they are seperate..they aren't

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use the papsan chair pads for our dogs.  You can usually get them pretty cheap at world market.  They are pretty durable and I change mine out about every 2 months.
-Rich

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hailee just got her first real dog bed for an early christmas present cause we were afraid of her tearing them up. we gave her an old queen size blanket folded up she made a nest out of and it worked great for us.. just an idea :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well Scoobs is 17 months old and still does that, but recently we acquired a Fatboy doggielounge
https://secure2.securewebexchange.com/f ... lounge.php
which it's made of nylon so it's pretty tough. At first he tried to scratch it (I think he actually was trying to dig), after a couple of times we actually lie with him, now he stopped trying to destroy it, and he is enjoying it pretty much.
So after 3 or 4 beds (I really can't remember) it seems this is the one that'll survive him

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Rocky used to destroy beds.  We got to where we gave him his bed to sleep on at night, but first thing in the morning it got put away.  We got one of those egg crate foam thingies for the crate.  I got it at PetCo, they called it a crate pad.  It was covered in a plastic/vinyl thing.  It gave him some cushion in the crate and he didn't try to destroy it.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We're having that same issue with Odin. The only bed he didn't destroy were two dog bed pillows put together. They felt liked feathered pillows for they bed (like ours I mean). Of course Kyrie DID destroy them. The we used two couch cushions from EA but I figured he destroyed those cuz' they weren't soft enough and he couldn't "nest" in them. I did notice he loves our bed spread... so I have a spare that had a few tears in it (their 'furry', hubby got them while in Saudi Arabia... I've seen them here though). He hasn't destroyed it yet. I was thinking of buying those pillows again and laying the blanket on top so it's MUCH more soft in there.

Like Ky... I'd try multiple items... that seems to be the only thing that works for us. We got those pillows for $11 at Pet Supermarket, we needed two because he have the XL cage which is like 36x42... 48... something.

Good luck... it was driving me nuts too! I was to the point of not having anything in there and then maybe he'd learn that those beds are much more comfortable then the plastic floor... lol couldn't do it though!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bubbaboy\";p=\"61410 said:
What did I miss?  Ban him??  Did he do something malicious?
Yeah, he created an account for the sole purpose of advertising some website.  Thats stated in the rules somewhere as a no no.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Anyway back to the bed thing.  What about a real mattress?  Would he rip that apart?  You could probably get a cheap kid's one at walmart or something

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ive thought of that too but he seems to like to chew on the corners of things and any loose edges are a prime target too.  He would also probably claw the middle of it trying to nest too and that would only last so long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts