Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My husband and I are looking to become owners of a purebred boxer. We have been looking around for reputable breeders. We have had many great conversations with the owner of Bedford Reg'd, and appreciate the care, concern for their dogs and their health. None-the-less, I want to ensure we find the perfect breeder and the RIGHT puppy for us.

If anyone could give me some insight on this breeder we would really appreciate your time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do you have a link?

They should do a minimum health testing of an echo, holter, and thyroid. Other tests that can be included are hips, ARVC, and DM. These are the most common. Do they show in anything? Conformation, shutzund?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
907 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see more health testing than just hips and heart. I'm also wondering about the heart. It looks like it was possibly just an auscultation which isn't good enough for health testing for breeding. It also seems like they are breeding more to the whims of puppy buyers than for themselves which I don't agree with.

I might pass them up personally unless they can supply a lot more information.

·
Registered
907 Posts
looks like someone cant tape ears correctly?
I didn't even see that at first. The ear leather is heavier in Europeans and sometimes never goes up correctly. Although I think they just quit too early. Americans have lighter ear leather hence the flying nun ears are so common.

They also have them cropped way too short for me, but again it might have to do with them knowing the leather was too heavy. I would've left them natural.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A minimum of an Echo or echocardiogram, a 24 hour holter, and a complete thyroid panel.

OFA hips are also done most times, but not always. DNA test for ARVC and DM are also sometimes done. Most times in North America these breeders also show in AKC or CKC conformation.

Where are you located? I can show you a list of Boxer clubs around you with breeders who health test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the recommendations.
What is it about these breeders that makes them noteworthy?!

·
Registered
907 Posts
They all health test their breeding dogs and I believe all of them show in Conformation aka dog shows. They all truly care about the breed and want to further the breed and to help its health. Backyard breeders or BYB's don't. They're the random family that decides to have a litter because their female dog is cute, or sweet, etc. and they don't do any health testing or make sure she's up to standard. This is not where you want to get a puppy from.

Here's a few more breeders too. This is for western Ontario.
http://bcwo.ca/new/members2.html

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cassidy has an amazing reputation in the Boston Terrier world. She runs a tight ship and really cares for her dogs. She is a responsible breeders and she stands behind her dogs and her contract. If I was considering a boxer or boston pup she would be at the top of our list. I had made contact with her several years ago about purchasing a young adult boston from her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bedford is #1 on my list :) I am just hopeful she will have an upcoming litter.
Patiently waiting to hear news on whether her female boxer is pregnant.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I can't place it or know why but something is throwing up red flags to me. Of course I am no expert by any means but I always go with my gut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have just inquired about health testing with Cassidy and will share my findings. I have had many great conversations with her already and when compared to many other breeders in my area, I am feeling very positive about this breeder.

What is it specifically that gives you the 'red flag' negative gut feeling Mom2Jax&Bay?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was happy to hear more information on health testing as well as the incredible lineage of her dogs.... More positive conversations with Cassidy about her boxers has further helped my husband and I to make our decision.

Thanks everyone for your input, and a big thanks to Bedford Reg'd for being so great with answering all our questions.

Looking forward to puppy news!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.