Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Beds

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  sevenyachtsae 
#1 ·
Tucker is now 5 months old and such a good boy but he chews up every bed/ kennel pad I put in his kennel. I put chewing toys in his kennel with him soft toys and his teddy bear. What do I do?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like Tucker needs some tough love, boys who can't behave don't get beds, he has to earn it. Destroying of beds may be out of boredum, is he getting any excersise before he goes into his crate?

I do believe petsmart has a bed that apparently is indestructible and if they do manage to tear it up the store will refund you? But like I said I'd give him some tough love before I'd buy another bed.

#4 ·
This ^^^. Additionally you can correct him in the Crate for inappropriate behaviour.

Tie a rope around the kennel and yank it hard if you hear him acting up or use a "Bonker" officially a towel bound with rubber bands and throw it at the side of the kennel when he acts up.

If you don't want to do either or something else to "correct" him ... then take the bedding out of the kennel. IF he decides to eat that crap ... it's a $3000 to $4000 dollar surgery to get it out of him ... if your lucky and on site and the dog/puppy has "learned" nothing. Time to make some choices.

#9 ·
The bed chewing ... is separation anxiety, the dog/puppy does not settle down because he is in an agitated state details:

http://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/181570-separation-anxiety-shut-up-dog.html

Separation anxiety = Shut Up Dog!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

That is a broad "Big Dawg" overview of what you are dealing with. That said the "Bitter Apple" ... not really a fan. Most of the time owners that go that route are desperately seeking any means to "avoid addressing issues" and "Correcting The Dog/Puppy" for "making poor choices" and "ripping into/eating the bed" ... is a poor, life threatening choice!

So "BA" ... is not the way I would roll. The bottom line is " if you allow your puppy to continue to do this, he could die!" Bitter Apple for your issue "may or may not work??? don't know??

But what I do know is that "BA" does not address the issue! Pretty sure that if you sent your "puppy" to a board train ... yes ... ironically enough ... people do that with puppies??? They would not use "BA." They would "correct": the puppy for acting like a "tool" in the Crate!

"BA" if if it would work for your "Puppy???" Addresses "nothing" your puppy is still "agitated" and depending on the level of "agitation" he may or may not not give a crap about the "BA???"

If you want to do nothing ... take the bedding out of the Crate, if that does not work for you??? Then "Correct" the puppy in the Crate for acting like a tool ... I'd use a zero cost "Bonker!" If that seems extreme to "you" ... then yeah I'd go with the "Miracle Worker" thing. :)

What the those two have in common, is that they teach the "Puppy" to be "Calm in the Crate." The Bitter Apple approach ... does not do that.

#11 ·
No disagreement from me 4paws. The "BA" is a gimmick, and it does not change the "Puppies State of Mind." The Miracle Worker thing ... I'd never heard of or seen it before yesterday???

But I can explain why I think it just may work??? If it works, it employs one of my favorite techniques ... "Flank The Do.g" It does not address the issue directly ie "Bonker" but it "does/should/could" address the issue "indirectly?"

With the "MW" the goal is be "Calm" in the Crate. Using a direct "Correction" approach ... the goal is the same ... ie "Dog/Puppy" is "Calm" in the Crate. The "Bitter Apple" thing does nothing to address the dogs behavior.

The goal behind the "Miracle Worker" ie "Calmness" in the "Crate" is the same goal as a direction correction ... "Calmness" in the Crate. Except as an owner one does not have to take "direct action" ie "Flank the Puppy."Address the "issue indirectly." So the concept is to me is based on sound principles ... train a behavior you dhttp://www.bulldoginformation.com/molossers-mastiff-type-dogs.htmlo want instead of "fighting a behavior" you don't want.

I have no idea if the "MW" can work on this particular puppy?? But I do like the concept behind it ... "Train Calmness" into the dog. :)

The "MW" is worth a shot and "maybe" the bedding can stay???

#12 ·
I love the bitter apple spray also. Ugh don't support Petsmart, they breed discriminate. Their daycare is so primitive, they can't even judge dogs based on temperament, so they outlaw certain breeds. Also they charge insane amounts, and generally the employees are not very knowledgeable.
Local independent pet stores are much better.
There is a brand called 'Ninja' that is built to be very tough, and it is guaranteed for six months. Try on of those with the bitter apple spray or corrections, and then you have a safety net in case it doesn't work perfectly!
PS- I'm sure the guarantee listed above is a manufacturer guarantee, not a pet smart one. They aren't usually too great to consumers.

#13 ·
Aww, most likely I got to "wordy" but thus far "Bitter Apple" is viewed as a gimmick not a solution. :)

Petsmart trainer ...yeah ... well they are constrained by corporate policy ... pretty much "PO" most likely that works "OK" for dogs with no serious behavioral issues.

But those guys and "Boxers" ... most likely they will be challenged ... especially by the female Boxers! :)

#14 ·
Kai use to chew his beds up, just pull them apart and I think the fluffy ones he still would, but I don't give him the opportunity. He does not have separation anxiety. For awhile he had no bed. Then I went to PetsMart and they suggested I try the Kong crate bed, and the manager said if I had any problem with it I could return it no problem. It has worked for us, he does not chew on this bed at all. Our local PetsMart is very good about accepting returns on items the dogs have chewed up .

#17 ·
I say,bedding only when its time to sleep

Soft kind of punishment (the dog has no idea why),using chems and noises and yanking aint in my book.

#18 ·
My Bella started eating any sort of bedding or blanket we put in her crate so she's had just the hard plastic floor for a few months now. It's definitely some tough love but in the end it's the best for their safety.

I've been looking into one of these https://kuranda.com - a little pricey but seems durable and I believe they use this type of bed in a lot of shelters and kennels. Looks better than sleeping on hard plastic and I think it is supposed to help with temperature regulation by it being a raised bed.

#23 ·
Wiggle B...OK had some time this morning and just went thru their site. I'm going to start a savings for this bed it looks really more comfortable and while browsing thru I see their cat towers, quite pricey but I want one of those too, LOL A big one that my cats can climb on and maybe stay off my furniture. ? Wouldn't that be great. I have to have blankets or covers on all the furniture because of cat hair, ugh. I don't want anyone in the house so when company comes, it all comes off, gets washed and back on when they leave. I really want a clean house at this point in my life and finding it very hard, because I keep letting more animals live here. LOL

#24 ·
Definitely the Primo pad for the crate (the link to the site is in this thread). Make sure to order the ties. The key was getting something that tied down so she couldn't fold it to chew. We spent a fortune on kennel pads for Zoe and she chewed everything that claimed to be indestructible except this pad. We have had the pad for just over two and a half years and it looks brand new. Happy to take a picture if you'd like?

Stephanie

#25 ·
LOL I went through the same thing with Kailer; he chewed every bed we bought while Titan did not. Like Lindar, I too went to Pet Smart and got the Kong bed and guess what - Kailer chewed that as well - not as badly as the others. We brought it back to Pet Smart and we were given another one. This one lasted ... it is a phase and will grow out of it. I know people who don't put another bed in the crate until this behavior mode has passed. You could also put an old towel or blanket in there and if it is chewed up-no great loss

#26 · (Edited)
Wow, he's really cute!! Have you already found a way to wean him from biting pillows? Perhaps his teeth are just now cutting through and his gums are very sore, as a result of which he gnaws everything that comes across to him. I can advise you to buy a durable washable bed. Due to the fact that she is very high quality, he will not be able to break her. Bad smell, drooling and hair can be easily washed off as this bed is washable. Recently, I bought this for my dog, if you are really interested in this advice, then visit pupsterpassion.com . There you will find the perfect option for yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.