Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night came home from playing cards at my parent, gone for 3 hrs. Walked in the door dogs greeting us. I looked down at Callie and she had this swollen face, one eye swollen close, fat swollen lips, her face was twice the normal size. I new she had been stung (( she likes to snap at bees like my terrier) My Terrier has be stung 3 times, we give her benadryl, and hardly and swelling. So off we go to Emergency vet care at 10 at night.
They checked her all out and gave her injections, because of her major swelling, and kept her over night. She had a Anaphylactic reaction, and told us if there was a next time it could be worst.
We brought her home this morning shes still has swelling, its going down, and shes on benadryl. Anyone else have this kind of bad reaction, and if so has your dog been stung again? Im really freaked out, and worried, she likes to snap at bees. I will try and post a picture, shes a 7 1/2 mo Boxer, I know she looks Sharpi because of the swelling.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm sorry that looks so painful hope she gets back to her normal self fast

·
Registered
633 Posts
Londyn had a bad bee sting last week but I caught it immediately. Within seconds, she had a round bump larger than a quarter and about a half inch high. I gave her 2 benedryl right away and it went back down. One of our friends Boxers swelled up like Callie and same thing, they had to go to the emergency vet. So far, neither of them have had a second bee sting. Hopefully, you won't either. But an epi-pen definitely sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Aww poor girl . Hope she is feeling better. I have experience bee sting with Bella and just did the Benadryl . But she didn't swell up too bad. Sorry not much help.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Our Bailey reacted the same way to a bee sting. Instantly her face got swollen and she had a lot of trouble breathing. It was very scary. Thank goodness for emergency vets!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well tonight I feel better. I couldnt figure how Callie got stung so late in the evening. Honey bees dont forge at this time. It had to be wasp or yellow jackets. And the problems that my neighbor has been having this hot summer, they removed a wasp nest in their attic the size of a basket ball. I looked a month ago every where, nothing, well tonight I went on another hunt for nest. Found 2. One up above where the dogs walk by often. How did I miss this, It wasnt there a month ago. While spraying the first nest I got stung in the hand. Came in took benadryl, and a fresh slice of white onion on the sting. Back out to spray the other. Nailed them both! :clap: :clap2:
They were yellow jackets, and lots of them. Im sure it was from one of these nest that got my dog. Wasp and yellow jackets get nasty if your any where near their nest. I feel soooooooooooo much better.
Im going to still look into a epi- pin. My Husband has to carry one too, I just didnt know you could get them for dogs too. Im also going to check weekly now for active nest, I feel this will make things much more safer for my dogs being in my back yard.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have heard every time a dog gets bitten the reaction becomes worse. I truly believe that, because the first time Asher got bitten, just her lip swelled up. The second time, which was only last week. Oh my gosh I would never have thought it was from a bee! Take a look: ImageUploadedByPG Free1376443222.993526.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1376443248.602910.jpg

Compared to her normally:
ImageUploadedByPG Free1376443335.820935.jpg
Her face was huge and these photos are better than what it was before that. If she gets bitten again we will have to take her to a vet straight away as her throat might swell and she won't be able to breathe.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a few wasp returned today to the nest. So I had to spray again tonight, keep dogs in. Tomorrow Im sure I will be able to remove nest. I also mixed up a natural spray that repels them from an area. Its Peppermint oil, dish soap and water. Its safe to use around the dogs. so I plan on using that a couple times a week in the areas where nest were built.
Poor Asher, I feel for you and your dog, its real scary to see them swell up like that. The pictures reminded me of how bad Callie was.
Bees are real bad this year, ground bees are just as bad, watch out for them when you are out on hikes, stay on well traveled trails, and dont walk thru woods, thats where ground bee like to be
.:pirate:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Lula got stung by a bee a few months ago by stepping on it! She was walking through a patch of clover and started freaking out. I felt so bad for her. I made sure the stinger wasn't stuck in, poured alcohol on her foot and got out the benadryl and cheese. Poor pup!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts