Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

341 - 360 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have just come back to this sticky as got a new boy transitioning. I already feed turkey but I tend to throw the backbone away, it just looks such a dense piece. I also debone the legs.
Am I being overly cautious, I do supervise all meals

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Duke handles the turkey legs with bone just fine..i supervise for all his meals never an issue Turkey and chicken both are fine. It's the raw pork and beef bones that you need to be concerned about... How does your dog eat? Does he take his time chewing or is he a gulper?

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are both great at chewing, if something goes down a little whole it comes back up for a re chew. My eldest is about 70lb, I know some of your across boys and girls are that bit bigger. These bones esp the spine are daunting for me. The turkey are about 14lb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is a week by week layout on how to easily and smoothly transition your dog to Raw. Regardless of age, any dog can be switched over :)
I have been reading and reading up on raw feeding for dogs (specifically boxers) and have read this thread from beginning to end; you seem to be a wealth of information! I have fed my cat raw for years now (premade) and our first puppy comes home in just over a week, I definitely will be transitioning him to raw. His parents were fed raw as well. I want to eventually transition into the homemade PMR model, but despite hours of research am still feeling very overwhelmed with the whole thing...with so much to learn on training a new puppy, housetraining, commands etc I am leaning towards feeding him premade and slowly easing into the homemade. I know it is at least double the cost and not quite as good, but it will give me time to adjust to everything else with the little guy....

I have recently discovered Big Country Raw, which i have had great success with my cat and in looking at the dog versions, they have blends that are a combination of ground bone, muscle meats and organs of different types OR Pure blends of one meat type only...they also offer RMBs and treats...They are human grade, hormone and antibiotic free and local to ontario..:clap2:

Do you have any suggestions with this? Or any experience with this brand?

20160426_115135.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just started my Mason on the Raw diet today :clap:
Read every post on this sticky and I am quite excited to do this for him. Spent last several weeks researching high end kibble and trying a couple of them. He didn't like them and the last one made him sick. That was the last straw for me. It was raw time!!! Just wanted to say thank you to all who have asked so many great questions and to all who have answered and shared their knowledge. Makes this so much easier.:clap:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Took Duke off chicken last month, and the itching has stopped.. using duck or turkey for the most part. Had some wild game bird fill my freezer.. would this be a good substitute? I guess while I'm here how often do you feed fish meals? Duke hates fish, I go the fish oil route..should I be pushing the fish?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure if this is the right area to post this question. We currently have a nine lb maltese poodle that I feed homemade food, but not strictly RAW. He gets chicken necks, organ meats, ground turkey, and then if we have leftovers like cooked veggies and safe scraps he gets all of that as well. He frequently will get cooked meats as well as his raw meat and he does fine with all of the switching, he has a tummy of steel :) We will be bringing home a boxer puppy in July and I'm trying to do lots of research about feeding a puppy raw. Any tips?? I read through many pages of this thread but stopped about page eight or nine. What is the best way to start a puppy on raw food? any thoughts about giving them some veggies? are chicken necks to small for a boxer puppy? should i start with turkey necks?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can we split up the portions of how much they should be eating into 2 meals or is it better to feed them into one meal in the morning? And as far as the bones with meat, do we feed that into their meal? So basically what I'm trying to ask is .. what EXACTLY goes into a "raw meal" for a 60 pound boxer. Chicken, ground beef, chicken hearts? And?? Or is that it...?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also have a follow up since finding puppy specific raw diet info is a bit trickier. If I feed my eight week old puppy raw in three or four meals per day is it safe then to give her a chicken leg quarter that is separated into thigh and drumstick? if i give her the full daily amount of bone in one feeding do i just do chunked meat or ground meat with organs for her other meals? can puppies handle turkey necks or are they to big for them? Our breeder does not feed raw, so how long should i give my new puppy kibble before transitioning to raw so she isn't experiencing to much change at one time? Kaco mentioned once that puppies need a higher percentage of organ meat but then there was no follow up to that post about how much more. I have read this thread through all 35 pages :)

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Can we split up the portions of how much they should be eating into 2 meals or is it better to feed them into one meal in the morning? And as far as the bones with meat, do we feed that into their meal? So basically what I'm trying to ask is .. what EXACTLY goes into a "raw meal" for a 60 pound boxer. Chicken, ground beef, chicken hearts? And?? Or is that it...?
The answers to all your questions are in the very first post. We feed our dogs two meals per day. Puppies under 5 months of age get three meals per day, they can switch to two meals at 5 months.

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
I also have a follow up since finding puppy specific raw diet info is a bit trickier. If I feed my eight week old puppy raw in three or four meals per day is it safe then to give her a chicken leg quarter that is separated into thigh and drumstick? if i give her the full daily amount of bone in one feeding do i just do chunked meat or ground meat with organs for her other meals? can puppies handle turkey necks or are they to big for them? Our breeder does not feed raw, so how long should i give my new puppy kibble before transitioning to raw so she isn't experiencing to much change at one time? Kaco mentioned once that puppies need a higher percentage of organ meat but then there was no follow up to that post about how much more. I have read this thread through all 35 pages :)

What I would do is allow your puppy time to settle into your home. Give them a good 3-4 weeks to settle in while feeding the same food the breeder feeds. Then you can start your transition to raw. We do not feed kibble and raw together. So when you are ready, you will switch to raw cold turkey.

Puppies transition a little differently. I personally like to keep my meals very consistent. I always use ground turkey with bone (necks/backs) as my bone base in every meal.

So let's say your puppy is starting with 3 meals a day at 8oz per meal.....

I would start them with 5oz ground chicken/turkey with bone and 3oz ground beef. See what their poops look like over the course of 3-4 days....if it's soft increase the poultry with bone by 1oz while decreasing the red meat. If it's nice and solid feed this for 1-2 weeks.

Week 3-4: 5oz ground chicken/turkey with bone and 3 oz beef for two meals, the third meal you will try to add in some pork in place of the beef.... if all goes well with poops....feed this for a week. If poops go soft after the pork cut back the pork by 1oz while increasing the poultry with bone.

Week 5-6: by this point you will probably need a food increase per meal, you are also going to SLOWLY introduce some beef liver (0.5oz in ONE meal per day)

Am/pm - 5oz poultry with bone, 4oz beef
Lunch: 5oz poultry with bone, 4oz pork

This is just a guideline.....each puppy is different on how they tolerate the transition. Some need more bone than others, some need to move forward slower than others but it gives you a rough idea. Feel free to post your puppies weight when you want to start the switch....maybe start a new thread in this section and I will do my best to help you along.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you so much Kaco!!! that is a huge help!!! When do you do start introducing foods like turkey necks, chicken leg quarters and the like? After they are done teething?? I will start a new thread when we bring our girl home and I'm sure I will have more questions!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anywhere in this post say anything about kibble and raw food? I've heard about a lot of controversies regarding this topic.. some say the kibble and raw food shouldn't be fed at the same time because they both digest differently.. some people do it saying it really isn't a problem ..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd also like to know, my boxer usually eats his treats in the living room, so I had given him a raw bone and I'd like to know if any bacteria that CAN affect us from the meat, will be present around the house? Do I have to worry about this? I did read that it's good to train him to Eat on a placemat in a specific area in the house.

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Does anywhere in this post say anything about kibble and raw food? I've heard about a lot of controversies regarding this topic.. some say the kibble and raw food shouldn't be fed at the same time because they both digest differently.. some people do it saying it really isn't a problem ..
I would never feed kibble together with raw. Kibble takes much longer to digest though I have seen claims that they digest at the same rate but in my experience, a dog can vomit up his dinner the next morning and it's still whole pieces of soggy kibble whereas if a raw fed dog vomits the next morning there is only yellow bike which means the food has moved from the stomach already.

I'd also like to know, my boxer usually eats his treats in the living room, so I had given him a raw bone and I'd like to know if any bacteria that CAN affect us from the meat, will be present around the house? Do I have to worry about this? I did read that it's good to train him to Eat on a placemat in a specific area in the house.
It's raw meat, lol..... so you are going to be dealing with salmonella and e.coli. Can it make you sick...yes.

We feed raw meaty bones outside or if the weather is not favourable, on a dog beg with a blanket. We them remove the blanket and put it in the washing machine.

Whenever dealing with raw meat, for people or your pets...you need to have good hygiene practices. Washing your hands after handling it, disinfecting the counter space it touched and not letting it be wiped all over your furniture :cheers: if my girls drag it on the floor, we give it a quick wipe with the mop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's the difference between raw and cooked? Is the loss of nutrition significant? I'm looking to shift to PMR along the lines of this post. I am concerned about the quality of the meat. Salmonella poisoning from undercooked meat is a concern here. I'm assuming the risk extends to dogs that are fed raw meat. Would freezing meat help?

Easiest to source: Chicken, Lamb, Fish
Easy, few traders: Rabbit, Pork, Duck
Easy, few traders, expensive: Turkey, Emu
Hard: Beef

Which of the above can I feed with bones? Can I give lamb bones to chew on as a treat?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Everything I have read says that because food stays in a dog's digestive track so much shorter and because their stomach enzymes are so much stronger than ours, salmonella isn't as big of a concern for dogs as it is for people. You have to be careful since you are handling raw meat, and you don't want to purposely feed your dog bad meat, but I think they should be mostly okay. Hopefully Kaco responds to your post...she knows EVERYTHING :)

I have started buying lamb bones from my farmer at the local farmer's market because he only charges me a dollar for each bone! way cheaper than anything else available. She LOVES them. We are working with training her to stay on her certain "bone blanket" while she is chewing so she doesn't get nasty stuff all over our living :) Our 14 week old puppy currently handles chicken thighs and legs with bone in with no problems what so ever. I think you can feed chicken and turkey bones and backs and your dog should be able to handle it, and I believe that you can feed whole rabbiets and ducks as well. For pork and beef I believe that non weight bearing bones are okay...but someone else should back me up here, i'm uncertain if that is strictly true

341 - 360 of 360 Posts