Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall Duke is a very well adjusted and great 6 month old boy, but he's developed a bad habit. After we 'meet' another dog, he gets excited and starts to bark at me, jump around, lunge at me, and try to pull out of his harness. I think he's mad he's not allowed to play with the dog longer. He can also act like this when we run - even a light jog across the street lately has been a trigger. I've tried the passive (turn away from him and ignore it), the positive (praise him when he doesn't do it), and he negative (grab him by the collar and 'bad dog'); nothing has worked. We live in an urban environment with a lot of dogs and he's been on leash since day 1. I will try to run him more off leash, but I work from home 3 days a week and he gets a lot of walks every day, so I don't think it is too much pent up energy.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a 8 month old male and he does almost the same thing but he does not bark or lunge at me but does a lot of hopping around. I also live in a pretty urban environment and we do encounter a lot of dogs. It seems to be a lot worse when the other dog is acting exited or aggressive. I have had to deal with this in my previous boxers as well, I found that as they mature mine have generally gotten over it with time and I do not respond to their excitedness by reacting with excitement as well. I kinda think that encourages the behavior. I also walk mine everyday. Sometimes I will make it a point to stop and talk with other dog walkers until my dogs settle down around other dogs "meaning there is no playing with other dogs going to happen" they will learn it can be trying and frustrating but it does get better.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I noticed my pup at a young age would do that if we were on the harness for a bike ride.

When I walked with him I always used a slip lead and never had that issue. I'm a big believer in no harness for walks. Just my opinion but it gives them to much freedom at a young age. With the slip lead I was able to have total control.

Once he learned how to walk correctly with the slip lead, i trained the focused heel off leash.

The funny thing is, the only time he will still occasionally pull to meet another dog is when he is in the harness. If we are walking off leash, he will walk right by.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well of course he is "mad??" That's nothing new." :)

But if you are walking him on a harness?? You have "Zero Chance" of giving him a "Correction of uh any kind??" NA d the more he gets to practice this bad behavior, the better at he becomes! The time to "fix" this is now!

And I will admit sigh ... that I am (apparently) not as a good at "Dog Training" as I thought??? Apparently I was really good at "puppy picking!" Even my nightmare people hating send you to the ER, OS WL GSD! So yeah, ... if I don't have a dog that presents a clear and present danger to others?? I get lost kinda odd but whatever.

Still even though my PIA, Bella ( FEMALE, APBT/Boxer) has me a bit baffled as it were. One of the things she does do well ... is walk well on leash! PIA that she can be, one of the things she can do well is walk well on leash!

So training that, I have down and it is not "Dog Dependent!" But even so with her I had to adapt, and with her, I also wound up using a "Prong Collar On!" But it was more for "refinement" than the basic's.

You can't effectively correct your dog with a harness?? And a proper correction would be a slight tug "Sideways." You can't do that with a harness and your dog already knows that, so as long as you keep using a "Harness??" Your gonna keep getting the same results?? So you need to do something different!

My primary tool of choice is a Slip Lead Leash. If you work rescue (which I did) that is the only "tool" they will let you use on there dogs! And admittedly it is a bit "tricky to use" but it is also quite effective!

I started a thread here to help others, it was all the info I could find at the time?? Maybe there is more info now but I don't know?? And you will see also info about "Prong Collars" ... people kept asking, so I put that info in there also. And much to my surprise I wound up using it! :)

Still although I could have done the same with a "Prong Collar" I suppose?? I wound up using a SLL, to let Bella meet a very nice little Yorkie!

Dog Park situation, and because Bella is such a "Tool" I have to go there to let her run. But I try to go when no one is there, Dayton is a small town so it's not that hard. But I did see car and no owner or dog??

So we went into the "Big Dog Part" as I could see no one?? And surely if there were any little dogs in there they would be in the ... little dog area??? Well ... it turns out there was someone in there! And they were not in the little dog part!!

I swear to GOD, I just don't get how some people can be so freaking clueless! At a Dog Park you don't know who brings what in there??? But whatever at any rate out of the brush I see a women approaching?? Bella was close to me and on leash (because she is well an A-Hole) and although I did not see anyone?? I knew there was someone in there somewhere with something??

Well there was and it was absolutely the cutest little Yorkie I have ever seen! :)

The owner was very nice ... although clueless! And her dog came out of the "Brush" and headed straight towards Bella!" OH CRAP! As regards other dogs?? I have seen (possibly barrier aggression??) Some very very bad behavior from Bella!!

As much as I don't trust ... dogs, I do not know and will protect my dogs! I am just as "Anal" about keeping dogs I have care of from hurting uh .. killing other peoples dogs! And a Yorkie vs a Boxer/APBT mix?? Well that is not really a contest!! But I was trapped and here they come!!!

I quickly grabbed up Bella's leash (SLL) and I applied I gently upward pressure to the leash, so Bella's ability to attack if she chose was greatly resisted! Now if she did a "foot scoop" and a spin and the Yorkie would be safe!! But it was not necessary. The Yorkie just walked right on like hey no big deal! And Bella was pretty overexcited but not bad! I just held Bella's head up and the Yorkie sniffed while I sigh, talked with the owner.

After a few minuets I relaxed a bit. And I was surprised to see the Yorkie butt sniffing Bella and Bella had no response! :) She did great!!

Now I was not willing to let Bella and the Yorkie run freely?? Cuz this was already too much for me! But Bella did good! But had Bella been on a harness?? Yeah ... Good Luck with that! :)

At any rate ... you might want to reconsider using a harness?? And have a look here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

Near as I know that has all you need to know on using a SLL?? Bella still has me a bit "baffled??"But anything you can train using a leash ... she has down pat! :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
This would be my st. poodle. He is better now but not always great. I had to teach him to ignore other dogs & their people. I actually think it was a combination of over excitement and some fear. It was like ok hold me, well St poodles are big,in fact he stands slightly taller than our boxer but not as heavy. I used some of the positive training methods. (I had tried my usual correction methods). When I see a dog approaching I say Look at that..and keep talking while putting him in a sit. When he is calm and ignoring I lavish him with treats. I'm not a treat person didn't use them on my boxer in training but this worked. I even went as far as if we were in our driveway and someone came by or stopped and he ignored he got a boatload. There are so many different ways of training now days and I like to use a combination of them. My poodle is a very sensitive sole and I did use a pinch collar on him when teaching a loose leash walk. While it worked for that part I think it was detrimental on approaching other dogs/people as he would get so excited he would pinch himself and then a light bulb came on in my head and I thought maybe he is starting to associated that pinch with seeing others. That is when I went to the positive method of "look at that". I do not allow the meeting of other dogs, I prefer he just stay in his own space and I find that actually works for us as I can walk with the other person and their dog calmly. (other dog must be calm too). I think if you take him out and keep socializing him in different places it will help even more. I also learned that certain learned things don't necessarily work in a different environment, so if you do training in more social and different environments eventually it all sinks in. Your boy is young and will soon be in those teenage years so keep at it and I bet your going to have one awesomely trained guy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions :) I figured the response would be to try something different than a harness, but I have always used a harness due to boxer's strength and propensity to pull. When I take him out for a quick bathroom break, I use a collar, but any walk of length I have always used a harness. I guess I can give the slip lead a try though. As tough as it is, I think ignoring the behavior as much as possible is the answer too...and yeah he'll probably grow out of it. Trying to think back to my last boxer, but can't recall this particular issue. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions, I think it was helpful just to vent a little on here :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree with the venting thing for sure! My male boxer like I said is 8mos old and he is a handful! I found myself yesterday giving myself a 10 count he was being pretty bad yesterday. He started out by jumping in my car after he used the bathroom with "yard candy on his feet" and our day just got worse from there! I just keep telling myself this is just a phase then we met some dogs out on our walk and the hopping and pulling began, then I was "trying" to do some yard work and had to keep stopping and digging mulch out of his mouth and whatever else he could find dirt, sticks ect ect!Puppies!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions :) I figured the response would be to try something different than a harness, but I have always used a harness due to boxer's strength and propensity to pull. When I take him out for a quick bathroom break, I use a collar, but any walk of length I have always used a harness. I guess I can give the slip lead a try though. As tough as it is, I think ignoring the behavior as much as possible is the answer too...and yeah he'll probably grow out of it. Trying to think back to my last boxer, but can't recall this particular issue. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions, I think it was helpful just to vent a little on here :)
I'm guessing the going after you when you run is just a playing response. If he love chasing things maybe try tiring him out with a flirt pole before you go for the walk/run. Great way to expend energy in the dog.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
This would be my st. poodle. He is better now but not always great. I had to teach him to ignore other dogs & their people. I actually think it was a combination of over excitement and some fear. It was like ok hold me, well St poodles are big,in fact he stands slightly taller than our boxer but not as heavy. I used some of the positive training methods. (I had tried my usual correction methods). When I see a dog approaching I say Look at that..and keep talking while putting him in a sit. When he is calm and ignoring I lavish him with treats. I'm not a treat person didn't use them on my boxer in training but this worked. I even went as far as if we were in our driveway and someone came by or stopped and he ignored he got a boatload. There are so many different ways of training now days and I like to use a combination of them. My poodle is a very sensitive sole and I did use a pinch collar on him when teaching a loose leash walk. While it worked for that part I think it was detrimental on approaching other dogs/people as he would get so excited he would pinch himself and then a light bulb came on in my head and I thought maybe he is starting to associated that pinch with seeing others. That is when I went to the positive method of "look at that". I do not allow the meeting of other dogs, I prefer he just stay in his own space and I find that actually works for us as I can walk with the other person and their dog calmly. (other dog must be calm too). I think if you take him out and keep socializing him in different places it will help even more. I also learned that certain learned things don't necessarily work in a different environment, so if you do training in more social and different environments eventually it all sinks in. Your boy is young and will soon be in those teenage years so keep at it and I bet your going to have one awesomely trained guy.
I'm not a big fan of doggy meet and greet either, on the street ... I won't do it. If there is space I, gladly step aside or cross the street. But if your gonna go to a Dog Park?? Admittedly a low density environment, if you chose the time. You can't act like a tool (uh that is directed towards me!) If someone or there dog wants to meet your dog??

If one chooses to go in that environment?? Then one has an "Obligation .. I feel, to make sure there dog" does not cause harm to the ..."Clueless??" And assuming the dog doing the meeting, is a "Balanced Dog" ie non aggressive! If "your dog" is or can be "aggressive??"

In order to make that meet and greet successful, you have to be able to control your dog! Now doing this a couple of days ago, was "not" my plan! But sigh Mr. Yorkie was incessant! So you know ... there you are??

It was not my plan to meet another dog ... but "Crap Happens." And SA, (Situational Awareness) ie head up eyes and ears open!

I saw Mr Yorkie and his owner emerge from the brush and Mr Yorkie made a Bee line for Bella! Bella was on a leash, dragging it and kept her close cuz I suspected there was someone in the Park somewhere??

And at this time she was on a SLL. It was easy to control her with a SSL, I just kept a slight upward pressure on the leash, to keep her from being able to suddenly grab downward! So Mr Yorkie, could safely check her out! I was surprised that after a couple minuets, Bella Relaxed and I was even more surprised that Bella allowed (after a few minuets) Mr Yorkie to sniff her butt without issue!

It was pretty cool but other people were coming and I wanted to get out of there! Bella however did great! On the other hand ... when we trying to leave someone else way on the other of the Dog Park, was coming in!!

I told them wait ... we were leaving! They had three dogs and one was on a "Flexi Leash" (a sure sigh of the Clueless!) And those dog's had an "ATTITUDE!" And yep sure enough ..."this" was now the "Bella" I was expecting! As she met "Aggression Agitation" with the same!

I would have expected them to leash up there dogs and wait till we got out?? But instead they leashed them up and brought them in "anyway!" They did ask if "Bella" was safe and I said ... "I don't know??" :)

I gave them space as they entered and Bella was actually not that bad?? But clearly it was not the same as "Mr Yorkie!"

But my point here is that for me ... Dog to Dog introduction was much easier with the SSL then it would have been with a "Prong Collar" maybe?? A "Prong Collar" is a two edged sword. It can take "Drive" out of a dog, or it can put "Drive" into a dog. It depends on how it is used??

So with the "pinch thing" and your dog, that may be what was happening?? But I don't know??

And the "look Me" thing?? Sigh .. I never gave a crap with "My other dogs" but things change?? And "now" it's something I need to "understand!"

Sigh ... I wish I'd gotten my "Boxer Female Puppy" and then I could have continued to be the same "Arrogant Tool" I always was! But you know, times change and dogs ... pass on. :(

And I am not a "Gold Fish Person" so you know ... Adapt or move on as it were. I had thought that my formerly (Human Aggressive GSD) was my pinnacle but "apparently" not so much?? Sigh ... my "Bella" has thus far "proven" to be much more of a challenge then I expected ... but she does walk on leash. Live and learn I suppose?? :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yes Chip its live & learn. Each dog is different and so your training methods must be modified or adjusted. This St. Poodle is sensitive. I don't know how to explain it but he just "feels". He comes to me for reassurance, after hat he is ok. I think the pinch collar on him made him more fearful of strangers/dogs and he "felt" the pinch and it hurt so he feared it and associated it not with the collar but with people. Now on a flat collar or mrtingle, he has been so much better. He will come at my side and sit waiting for me me to say its ok to say hello or if I choose to just keep walking. The look at me brings his focus back on you. So I had to modify my training of him, went to flat collar and treats and you know I wasn't up to treats but he became more interested in them then what was going on around him, so it worked. I seldom have them now but if I do I reenforce his good behavior or we just engage in a little play as he does like games. I am liking many of the positive training methods though I do modify. I like this trainer Susan Garrett, she makes a lot of sense to me. Her methods work but they take a long time ...(to me anyhow).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes Chip its live & learn. Each dog is different and so your training methods must be modified or adjusted. This St. Poodle is sensitive. I don't know how to explain it but he just "feels". He comes to me for reassurance, after hat he is ok. I think the pinch collar on him made him more fearful of strangers/dogs and he "felt" the pinch and it hurt so he feared it and associated it not with the collar but with people. Now on a flat collar or mrtingle, he has been so much better. He will come at my side and sit waiting for me me to say its ok to say hello or if I choose to just keep walking. The look at me brings his focus back on you. So I had to modify my training of him, went to flat collar and treats and you know I wasn't up to treats but he became more interested in them then what was going on around him, so it worked. I seldom have them now but if I do I reenforce his good behavior or we just engage in a little play as he does like games. I am liking many of the positive training methods though I do modify. I like this trainer Susan Garrett, she makes a lot of sense to me. Her methods work but they take a long time ...(to me anyhow).
I don't even think it matters so much if they are from a different breed. When we are playing with Zukes boxer buddy Bruno, if I have to give Zuke a correction, Bruno will walk over to me with his ears back. lol. He is sensitive, much more so than Zuke. I think there are definitely certain training methods that cross over all breeds, but yeah, you have to be able to read your dog and make tweeks to find out what works best with your particular dog.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Puppies are so adorable- and so much work! They are worth it for sure.

We didn't know better and we walked our older boys on a harness when they were young- we didn't want the neck yanking or pulling and didn't know we had better options. We know now.

That said, when our boys were about 6-8 months old we went for a walk and something excited Jax. To this day we have no idea how he did it, but he ended up going up in the air and coming down on his side in the middle of the street. The leash is only about 5' long. He's never done anything like that since, it probably scared him as much as it did us.

I guess knowing how high a boxer can jump, it's not that surprising, but it was just bizaar.

The thing that was key for us in all of their training was routine and consistency. I wish you both luck with your babies...the phases will pass...although sometimes not fast enough. :crazy:

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I seriously doubt that dog's out grow pulling?? But hey every dog is different ... apparently?? :)

I did train Struddell, with a regular Collar and a flat leash but she was a "puppy!" I have trained dogs that have been on a leash at all! To walk well on leash inside of 5 minuets, so it can be done. Still I will concede that for most people a SSL is kinda of a tricky tool to use!

The trainer I posted in my SLL thread is about the only one I know that regularly trains his students to use a SSL?? So there is that.

But there is also Plan B, a Prong Collar! And just forget all the "Crap!" When used properly ... it won't hurt your dog! And unlike the SLL, if you need help with the proper use of a "Prong Collar??" You can find a trainer to help you! Just look for trainers local to you that tend to work with GSD's! And a buzz word would be "Balanced Trainers" ie they believe in "Correcting the dog" once the dog "understand what's required and then refuses to do it!" :)

But Jeff Gellman and Tyler Muto, both have YouTube Clips on the proper use of a "Prong Collar." And fitting it is "key," if you can slip over the dog's head?? It's to loose! You have to un-clip a prong, to fit it "properly!" And from there it's a wrist flick for "corrections." :)

And if required, private lessons to show you how to properly use a "Prong Collar, should not be that expensive?? Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I'd post an update on the Duke's "Wild Man" issues for anyone who may go through this in the future. To recap, he was about 6 months when he started going into what I call his "Wild Man" persona after he saw dogs and even when we jogged across the street. He'd jump around, bark & lunge at me, try to slip his harness, and generally act as what I call his "Wild Man" persona. I should add, he has always turned into Wild Man at random intervals, but it had been very few and far in between and I had mostly written it off to him being a puppy and testing me as the alpha. Well, it had become such that meeting dogs was a huge trigger for him - and we see 2-5+ dogs every time he goes out. I'm happy to report that Duke's Wild Man persona is (largely) gone. He still has an episode now and then; but, in general, it seems to have been a passing phase. What we do now is generally pull off to the side and let other dogs pass, instead of letting him interact. It's not overly social of us in a heavily dog populated area, but it seems to do the trick. I think we have all experienced the overwhelming amount of attention our particular breed of pups can bring (especially when they are very young!), and this is a lot of fun, but Duke is doing better when not interacting with most dogs we see right now. At any rate, I thought I would share that Duke was going through a 6 month old puppy phase, which was corrected by a strong "leave it" command being enforced when we pass dogs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah my boy is going on 9 months old now and he would get very excited when we would pass other dogs and that's what he would do so I do the same thing I pull over to the side and let other dogs pass it works most of the time but when the approaching dog is acting aggressively it makes things so much harder and we have been attacked now twice by dogs that were off leash setting me back on the training. I went to a dog park last Sat. they were doing pet photos for charity so I had no intention of letting my dogs go out with all the other dogs were there so we sat on a bench and watched all the dogs go by and it was a good exercise for him of course I got all these questions was my dog mean? Why wasn't I letting him play I tried explaining he wasn't neutered yet but people just don't get it. Finally I had this jerk wad with a German Shepherd keep walking past us and his dog was growling at mine and I think he was getting some satisfaction from that like he has the "baddest dog around" and a jerk wad with a Husky same thing so we ended up leaving but for the most part they did pretty well just watching all the dogs go by. We never did get the picture done.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well congratulation folks, sounds like there is some great progress being made! But now another problem seems to be happening and it's not your dog's. :)

Cuz now it's "people problems" to greater or lesser degrees?? And you have to realize you can control your dog but you can't control other people and there dogs?? Now for the most part, if you step aside first and out of the path ... "most people" do appreciate the gesture and for the most part, they will acknowledge, your gesture with a smile a wave and a nod of the head ... and move on. "Most people" do appreciate the gesture but you know, not everyone.

And if your not doing what everyone else is doing?? IE, ... stepping aside and waiting with your dog quietly by your self. That to can garner attention from the curious???

So you know it's a two edge sword?? And just briefly, and no one here needs this bit for people aggression???

But I first did that to protect my puppy from a "charging" well sigh "pit gone rouge!" And it worked out find. So when I got my Rocky (WL GSD), I just did the same thing with people. And he was good with that so that's what did and it worked out fine. :)

And there is actually argument that could be made that a lot more Boxer folks should do that for "people" also.

The step in front of your dog can still be useful with people. And "not" because of either fear or aggression with people issues?? Nope not for that but because, Boxer's without issues. Just tend to luv people! And without "intervention" if you stop and let ,well "everybody" meet and greet them ... then they will "expect" to meet and greet uh "everybody!!" And the blow back to that tends to come ... when someone knocks on the front door! Cuz you know, whoever it is, they are here to see me! :)

But if you let them "meet and greet everybody," then they will "expect" to meet and greet, well everybody!

Now people friendly is not a bad thing for most of us. But yeah they do "need" to learn to "get a grip!" Cuz not "everyone" want's to meet them?? And while not actually jumping on strangers is great, most likely it would not help to tell some strangers, "I'd rather you not pet them" every once in awhile?? It's just a thought?? And hey I don't know that I'd have done that with my Struddell, myself??? Cuz, she truly did luv, well "everybody!"

So you know short of that ... you can train the "Place Command" for visitors at home and once properly trained ... that works also!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Yeah my boy is going on 9 months old now and he would get very excited when we would pass other dogs and that's what he would do so I do the same thing I pull over to the side and let other dogs pass it works most of the time but when the approaching dog is acting aggressively it makes things so much harder and we have been attacked now twice by dogs that were off leash setting me back on the training. I went to a dog park last Sat. they were doing pet photos for charity so I had no intention of letting my dogs go out with all the other dogs were there so we sat on a bench and watched all the dogs go by and it was a good exercise for him of course I got all these questions was my dog mean? Why wasn't I letting him play I tried explaining he wasn't neutered yet but people just don't get it. Finally I had this jerk wad with a German Shepherd keep walking past us and his dog was growling at mine and I think he was getting some satisfaction from that like he has the "baddest dog around" and a jerk wad with a Husky same thing so we ended up leaving but for the most part they did pretty well just watching all the dogs go by. We never did get the picture done.
If the other dog is acting a fool?? That does/can make it more difficult! As long as the A-hole dog is at least five away or so and the owner does have control, a dog can still "ignore them" cuz they are still not a threat, to them are you! But if they get closer than that with an attitude ... that will be a bit different.

And the GSD guy ... again?? And the attacks with the loose dog's?? Are those new incident's are did that already happen once??

I'm curious, here?? Cuz the GSD guy?? Well you know ... I feel his pain. And what he doing is "struggling" to rehab his dog! He's "obviously" not going about it in the best way! But if he and his dog are something you regularly encounter??? I do have a plan!

Something I ought to be doing myself since I do seem to keep going to the Dog Park, and uh avoiding dog's still ... anyway! It's pretty hard to break a pattern you've spent 20 years developing, ie avoid other dog's! Still I have learned stuff but breaking an established pattern of behavior (mine) is pretty hard to break ... apparently??? And I have missed a couple of great opportunities, to help me with Bella with a couple of great dog's!!

But when she on very rare occasion's, met a couple dog's, and was out of my control and I got trapped on one occasion! But she did not attack, and on one of them I did have her on leash so I did have control and that went really well! And the other she blew my recall off ... again!!! And rushed around the corner to intercept and saw not one but two dog's!! That changed her mind!! But that too worked out well and she did have a good time!!

But I was just relieved she did not attack! And I just wanted to get the hell out of there! So I have missed two great opportunities to work with other owners ... my bad. :chair:

But anyway GSD guy, I do have a plan! But admittedly, it's not something I've done myself ... I just know stuff! But details on the GSD guy??? Is seeing him and his ill behaved dog a regular thing???

·
Registered
512 Posts
No, this was a different GSD guy, he had a really big male shepherd he kept walking him by us and the dog was growling at us and I have to say my guys were sitting quietly with me on a bench while this was going on. I decided to remove my dogs from the situation I don't think the guy was trying to train his dog he was being a jerk I guess it was a "look how BA my dog is kinda thing" I was not impressed and this is not a lesson I want my young male to learn. Its bad enough we got attacked again at our local park this woman was running with some kind of lab mix and she did not even have a leash with her! The area we walk a lot in is a National Park there is a no exceptions leash rule there in fact the dog leash is supposed to be 6ft long and no longer unfortunately this lady had no leash on her at all! I wrote a letter of complaint to the head Ranger there so we will see if anything gets done this time. This has not been fun every time this kinda stuff happens it sets back my training on my boy. I have looked for other places to walk and there are just a couple but our area is getting so crowed with people and their dogs it hard to find somewhere it not crowded anymore. There is one place I can go but its very isolated and creepy kinda woods I don't like being there alone, like there is nothing at all around it so I guess I just have to do the best I can!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We’ve used a pet safe no pull dog harness

It has a martingale action on the chest, and helped us train our 7 year old boxer, back when he was a high energy hyper 6 month old 50 lb pup. It worked to control him, prevent him from lunging and running off. The more he pulls, it turned his body around, and tightened his chest... pretty neat.

Max wouldn’t bark at me, but he would jump on me or whoever was handling his leash. He wanted attention, and would get bored just because he was so hyper.

We did try a typical harness with a leash hook that sat on the back; it optimized his pulling but didn’t help control him. Lasted 1 weekend.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
No, this was a different GSD guy, he had a really big male shepherd he kept walking him by us and the dog was growling at us and I have to say my guys were sitting quietly with me on a bench while this was going on. I decided to remove my dogs from the situation I don't think the guy was trying to train his dog he was being a jerk I guess it was a "look how BA my dog is kinda thing" I was not impressed and this is not a lesson I want my young male to learn. Its bad enough we got attacked again at our local park this woman was running with some kind of lab mix and she did not even have a leash with her! The area we walk a lot in is a National Park there is a no exceptions leash rule there in fact the dog leash is supposed to be 6ft long and no longer unfortunately this lady had no leash on her at all! I wrote a letter of complaint to the head Ranger there so we will see if anything gets done this time. This has not been fun every time this kinda stuff happens it sets back my training on my boy. I have looked for other places to walk and there are just a couple but our area is getting so crowed with people and their dogs it hard to find somewhere it not crowded anymore. There is one place I can go but its very isolated and creepy kinda woods I don't like being there alone, like there is nothing at all around it so I guess I just have to do the best I can!
Hmm Ok I got lost?? I did reply to the new input "here." But if I did post??? I got lost and I have no idea where that post is??? My bad. :(

But ... another ill behaved GSD?? And another loose dog encounter?? But briefly the GSD's ... I'd say par for the course ... "to much dog for me???" Situation's?? And those owner;s have no clue what exactly the deal is?? I would say in a nutshell, it's a lack of respect and understanding by the dog and the owner! There is no "Bond" between them?? Wl, GSD's and that is a guest on my part as to the line ... but it sounds familiar??

Pretty much demand "Respect": and it has to be earned! It's a bond that has to be formed between dog and dog and owner!!

If you get that part right (the Bond) ... "apparently" they can be a "Price of Cake?? :)

But I can almost guarantee that with those dog's, there is no "Structure in the home, and neither owner has any idea what "The Placement or Sit on the Dog, is???"

And ill behaved WL GSD's ... number three most popular dog in America .. uh Always!??? That particular issue (no bond) happens "All The Time!!"

Buy hey LOL, I'm just some guy on the internet?? And with my experience with one WL GSD ... what the Hell do I know?? :)

Fair enough... I'd say but for an answer just google, Germanshepardforum and check out the, dedicated "Aggression Forum!" And one would find ... same old, same old. And the new problem's with that breed ... roll in daily!! If not ... by the hour??? I managed to be there for a few years, before I got banned!!

I got in the face of a LE K9, guy one time to many?? And you know what ... I'd be surprised if his GSD/Mal cross ... "Seal Team" reject has not been PTS by now??? That dog did not take well to "New Handlers??" And had already carved up a LE enforcement, Kennel Master, last I saw???

But hey ... I was not alone my buddy over there Lou Castle a another LE K* guy was also kinda on Slam Dunc's butt, over that dog! And he got banned a few months before me. :)

And he had trained 1000's of dog's! So you know it's not like it was just me, that saw issues coming! So you know ... I pretty much as general rule ... stay well clear of LE K9's cuz some of those LE K9 handler's dog's! Are not as well controlled and behaved as mine was! And ... LOL, pointing that out uh again, is why I was "Banned!"

Aww, well I had an epic run but you know to much for them ... apparently?? So they are now free to, "tell everyone with "uh serious issues," to find a trainer, without interference! And last I looked that is just what they are doing ... but whatever.

And the other loose, ... dog?? I'd still say a "Boat Air Horn! You'd need to get your dog's used to the sound first! And I have never used one myself. But I am pretty sure that it would work! And you know since you'd have no need to actually touch there dog"" You'd have nothing to apologize for. :)

I have not done that myself?? Cuz sigh ... I have been going to the "Dog Park" and if one does ... one excepts the risk?? So yeah ...

But on a more positive note, we are working on a "Play Date with our friend's Boxer!!! Gideon, he"s a male Euro /American and he is freaking "Hugh!!!!" But he is dog friendly and does seem to prefer females! :)

Just a walk will be done first! And then in a safe confined area they will be let loose. Sigh even under those conditions ... I think it's to much for me??? 20 years now of "No other dog's" is just to much for me to over come??? But I do know that dog and I do know mine. And I also know ... I'd be a nervous wreck and just get in the way?? So you know ... sometimes it may be best to get out of the way??? So I'd let Marilyn do it. And I'll report back how it goes. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts