Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new, my name is Claudia and I have a boxer pup, her name is Athena, and she is 5 months old, she was very active and playful since day one but a week a go her behavior change, in only one week, she bit the wall, jump into the table and ate a ton of stuff that was for us (bread, grapes, cookies) she doesnt come when I call for her, may be she is entering into adolescence, I dont know...
Help!
Note, sorry if this post has gramatical mistakes, english is not my natal lenguage

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yup, just being a pain in the butt adolescent. Just keep training, make sure she knows that it is unacceptable to jump on tables, grab food etc. Also I would not be giving her too much freedom in the home if you can't see what she is doing. Its a frustrating phase, but it gets better as long as you keep training and keep her active.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Uh oh ... my first question would be "Does she go on walks and does she walk on a leash without a lot of pulling and crap behaviour??" Now I would "speculate that the answer would be ,,, uh No??" But I don't know??

And I would also "speculate," that she free roams in the home, sleep's in the bed with you and hop's on the furniture at will,that is just a guess . Cuz she's a Boxer and we "all," pretty much do that but ... you know there are limit's!

The hopping on the table bit?? Is a bit much?? That is pretty much an "ill behaved dog behaviour??" A Counter Surfing, is pretty much an "Advanced," Ill Behaved Dog/Puppy Behaviour!" Your gonna need to make some changes with this "pup." And for a Boxer newbie?? You should have gotten a Boy! But hey ... I like the girl's myself. :)

But let me know how much of this I got right?? And we will go from there ... Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol well in the walks she walks on a leash With out a problem, and yes she sleeps With me, and is free at home and I know that the problem With the jumps, is a little too much, she did it when I was working so you can imagine my surprise when I arrive at home and saw all the disaster, and well the behavior problems were only a week a go!
It is amazing how much her behavior change in only one week so as you can read I need Help lol

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Uh Oh ,,, if she hopped up on the table while you weren't there?? Well ... the good news is, she is not stupid! The bad news is it may be a tougher to correct!

An E-Collar and bait a trap with a High Level of Correction ... would stop her cold!! But that is a bit extreme and expensive ... for just this??

So you know let's try other means. First and simplest is whatever you did to uh ... bait her??Don't do it again. You set her up to "fail," a plan or not, that is what you did. So now you know. :)

And the "NO's," I listed yeah I did all of those exact same thing's with my Band Dawg (Molosser Mix) and my Boxer's. Bully's all and no big deal. But when I added my first Wl GSD to the mix ... that loose structure crap?? Did not work out so well in the short run. So yeah ...

But sadly I lost Rocky (WL GSD) a few years ago and got a new "Boxer/Pit," mix last year and ...yep sure enough I fell right back into "Boxer Mode!' And yep she does all my "NO's!" And has added ...
"Counter Surfing," to the mix ... kinda?? But hey she looks to me for permission to be ... well bad with cat bowl's?? And I look back at her and say uh ... nothing. Good Enough for her , so yeah ... my bad?? :)

The cat bowl's ... I feed two cats on the dining room table. And the others in other areas and Bella likes the Cat Food! And she waits for the Cat's to finish and then takes their bowls and finishes whatever they left. She had a Cat issue when we got her (One Year Old Rescue) and I got that sorted right freaking quick! And she is now extremely differential, to the cat's. And with the dining room table ... she first looks at me, to see if it's OK??? I tend to sigh ... look back and say "Nothing??" And of course she says ..."fine then" and takes the bowl off the table and eat's what's left. Yeah not really a great behaviour but you know "Boxer," people ... it's pretty easy to fall back into old habits.:)

But for you "... this my be ,very well simple to solve?? And If she walks well on leash ... that is great!! That is "important!' So just do more of that if you can?? And beyond that and aside from "don't set her up to fail." Just add these ... The Place Command and SIt on The Dog. Details are here ...:

Sit on the Dog and the Place Command. Those are two of the most beneficial things you can do to bring about a change in behaviour ...with every dog! Those help to train ... "Calmness Into a Dog."

With Bella I have, well half assed done them and while I do have my "issues' with her and her "still" "apparently," lack of recall under distractions!! Crap behaviour in the home is not really one of her issues. And yes ... she sleeps with me or Marilyn, Gets on the furniture and Free Roams indoors!
And technically ... I suppose she is a counter surfer?? But hey she follows the rules and I allow it ...
Boxer people you know ... what are you gonna do??

But back on point ... if you concentrate on the thing's in that thread?? I think you will see an improvement is a couple of week's of time?? And as always ask questions. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow you have a big family! I have Athena, and Coffee (a sharpei) she is very calm so My principal problem is little Athena, the thing is that after reading and watching all the videos, I use some type of comand like place With her, and she does it really well, the sit on the dog, well I have to work on that, but I am going to keep working With her With those comands and hope that will Help to improve her behavior.
I have another quest ion, how can I train her to pee and poop outside? She get out two times per day and has her place at home where she can pee if she wants but... I have problems With that...

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
So you do live in an apartment?? That would make "potty training" a bit more problematic. Kinda like, this freaking pup; will never get it kinda thing?? But ... they do! :)

But if for now ... she is not also Crate Trained?? It will take a bit longer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know your feels. Ivan is 9 months old and he has some issues as well. When I get home, Ivan is so excited that he starts jumping on me and nipping at my hands. I've tried EVERYTHING that has worked with my boxers in the past. I've tried ignoring him, but he still jumps and claws and nips my hands. I've tried walking into it with my knee up (I don't like doing this but he's hurting me), when I do this it seems to make him even worse and he comes back at me like it's a fun game. Yesterday I just went to the back door and opened it for him to go outside and hoped that he would get over the excitement of my being home by the time I let him back in but when I let him back in, he went right back at it. My husband gently took him and pinned him down until he calmed and that seemed to do it, but I'm at my wits end with this crap! I've always judged people who had unruly dogs because I thought I had it figured out with training since I've had 4 other well behaved dogs. People joked about what he named him and said "Ivan the Terrible" and I think he's trying to live up to his name! lol He can be really sweet when he does finally calm down. My husband says he thinks that he will grow out of it but he's over 60lbs and he hurts NOW!

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I know your feels. Ivan is 9 months old and he has some issues as well. When I get home, Ivan is so excited that he starts jumping on me and nipping at my hands. I've tried EVERYTHING that has worked with my boxers in the past. I've tried ignoring him, but he still jumps and claws and nips my hands. I've tried walking into it with my knee up (I don't like doing this but he's hurting me), when I do this it seems to make him even worse and he comes back at me like it's a fun game. Yesterday I just went to the back door and opened it for him to go outside and hoped that he would get over the excitement of my being home by the time I let him back in but when I let him back in, he went right back at it. My husband gently took him and pinned him down until he calmed and that seemed to do it, but I'm at my wits end with this crap! I've always judged people who had unruly dogs because I thought I had it figured out with training since I've had 4 other well behaved dogs. People joked about what he named him and said "Ivan the Terrible" and I think he's trying to live up to his name! lol He can be really sweet when he does finally calm down. My husband says he thinks that he will grow out of it but he's over 60lbs and he hurts NOW!
Ok, first you have to take a step back and chill. :)

You can't accomplish anything if your ticked off or angry with you dog. And the "pinning" AKA, Alpha Rolling bit?? To explain how, when and why ...one would want to do that??? Would be another story and very long tangent. But suffice to say for this kinda crap ... it's simply ... not gonna work.

WIth the two breeds I luv, I don't recommend WL GSD's to anyone I know ... period! A badly trained GSD is a lawsuit on four paw's looking for a place to happen! And Boxer's ... LOL, well "maybe???" I tend to think that a poorly trained Boxer can be uh ... a pretty "Hair Pulling Experience??" :)

Moving on ... you have had Boxer's before which is great! But sigh as they say and it's pretty much true ... "This is not your other dog!" You have to work with the dog in front of you. It sounds trite I suppose but it's pretty much true.

And I would "speculate" that the Boxer you got this time ...is more of a higher Drive dog??? Just kinda Go,Go and you don't have an "Off Switch!"

And the jumping and the "Knee Thing," well if it was executed properly??? That should have worked??? But even then it simply means the dog won't jump on you ... but everyone else ... is raw meat! :)

But forget that part. I don't fight with behaviour's I don't want, I train behaviour's I do want! And indoor's ... I want my dogs (well sigh dog now ...) to be "Calm." Outside is for play , indoor's is for "Chilling." I have more issue with my wife over this then I do with Bella (my new Boxer/Pit,)

I have my "issues" with her .(Bella) ... no/poor, recall under distractions, off leash in the real world ,still, apparently??? But indoor's with me .... "No Issues!"

But my ... better half sigh. She tends to Rev Bella up. I have told her sigh, don't throw the ball indoors but she does! And Bella is ... just freaking, crazy High Drive! And there is simply no way in heck you're gonna burn her out indoors'?? It's thump thump with the ball, run, run. Marilyn want's to engage with her ... and I grit my teeth! And finally the nipping and crap start's and I just wait. And 1,2,3 Marilyn yeps, cause she finally got nipped after a series of meaningless, No,No,No's from her. And at that point I step in and say "BELLA PLACE" and point to the sofa. And that is an end to the crap behaviour!

But to be honest ... I have only half assed trained her in Place?? So the clip's and trainer's. I'll link to that show the Dog outdoors and using Place Cot's ... I have not done that?? I'm just kinda lazy with Bella. And that means save for indoors at home ... I would not trust her to "hold," that command with distractions, outside, my bad. But hey ... I don't get mugged, when I come home either by her or if she tries (and she will!) I say Bella Place and that puts a stop to the "Crazy!)

And this is with a "raw dog," Bella was a year old when we got her last year. And she had spent anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day in a Crate. So she is not some hand picked Prima Donna Puppy, as I used to say. Real life, Real Dog as it were and Place works just fine for putting a "Clamp," on the Crazy. :)

Details are here:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD

But that does take time and you have to train it first, to be able to use it. Now I don't know but I would tend to think that. That with dedication and short daily session's it could be accomplished in maybe two week's time???

But ... as you say the bog is craving you up and making your life sorta miserable right now?? OK ... no problem ...you can put an end to that crap (the jumping thing) right now! And you might already
have the "tool" you need if you have bicycle's??? You could use a "Pet Convincer!"

You'll want to blast the dog in the neck not the face! It's a blast of super cold compressed air and a bit of noise! And the first time you use it ... you'll want to add a command! I would go with "NO," myself as that is ... "can be universal." As when properly taught , it means to the Dog. Whatever it is your doing ... stop doing it and don't do it again!! My Struddell (Avatar) was a master at "NO!" I could stop her from Bunny rabbit chases ... off leash at a distance with NO!! Sigh but life moves on ... and I have no more Struddell, :(

And with Bella, a bunny off leash in the desert??? Yeah she'd be gone!! Stupid dog but hey I will start to work on it! Aww well long post but if you do these things (Place Command and Sit on the Dog) with comment for say ..."Two Week's," I am pretty sure you will be in a much better place than you are now ... uh no Pun intended. :)

Place has worked for me, with my half assed approach (my bad) but hey if I don't have a dog that wants to go after uh everyone save for me and my wife?? I "apparently," am not that motivated??? And if I never took Bella ,anywhere off leash ... hey she'd be perfect! SIgh Boxer people you know much like our dog's ,kinda goofy. Hope this helps???:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have stayed calm when I come home and even while he's jumping and nipping at me I don't get upset or angry anymore because I've learned that it doesn't help. When my husband pinned him, it wasn't really like an alpha pin, it was more like a calm down and I'll let you go. He literally gently put him on his side and laid on him just to get him to stop jumping up on me. I don't believe in the alpha crap myself.

I've read the book Fired Up, Frantic, and Freaked Out which talks about mat training which is similar to what you suggested with the "Place" command. I want to get started on the training for that but right now has been a crazy time.

Inside is not a calm place for the dogs. We have a GIANT fenced in backyard but we live in an area where it can get quite hot outside so we do allow play inside. It's already 80 degrees today at noon. With those kinds of temperatures I worry about him over heating because his nose is so short and it takes him so long to stop panting and be able to drink water without worrying about bloat.

I know how all this got started with him though. When Ivan was a small puppy, my husband would make a big deal about coming home. I told him not to do it because I don't like the dogs to get too excited when I come home but he didn't listen and now we have this problem. I've always ignored the dogs until I put all my stuff down when I come home.

Anyway thank you, I think I will try out the Pet Convincer.

PS don't tell my husband that I'm secretly blaming him for Ivan's behavior lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think your boy Ivan is just really still a big puppy they stay that way at least until they are about 2 or a little older. Do you leave a collar on him? I would take him by the collar and put him outside for a little while till you get settled then let him back in and go in another room without him and let him calm down. I don't believe in the pinning thing some dogs may take this as a challenge instead of a discipline. When he has calmed down some then pay attention to him while you are sitting down he should never be allowed to bite your hands either. How much daily exercise does he get? All these things add up for this kind of behavior. When he is in a calmer state put him on a leash and take him in the yard alone make him sit and heal reward calmness with "good boy" I too live in a hotter area I have my dogs out at daybreak for at least a 2 mile walk and we will keep doing this until summer is over. Both of my dogs are very young so their outings and interactions are crucial. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I have stayed calm when I come home and even while he's jumping and nipping at me I don't get upset or angry anymore because I've learned that it doesn't help. When my husband pinned him, it wasn't really like an alpha pin, it was more like a calm down and I'll let you go. He literally gently put him on his side and laid on him just to get him to stop jumping up on me. I don't believe in the alpha crap myself.

I've read the book Fired Up, Frantic, and Freaked Out which talks about mat training which is similar to what you suggested with the "Place" command. I want to get started on the training for that but right now has been a crazy time.

Inside is not a calm place for the dogs. We have a GIANT fenced in backyard but we live in an area where it can get quite hot outside so we do allow play inside. It's already 80 degrees today at noon. With those kinds of temperatures I worry about him over heating because his nose is so short and it takes him so long to stop panting and be able to drink water without worrying about bloat.
Hmm OK well I will address this in a follow up. To many word's this post kinda got away from me (again.) :)

I know how all this got started with him though. When Ivan was a small puppy, my husband would make a big deal about coming home. I told him not to do it because I don't like the dogs to get too excited when I come home but he didn't listen and now we have this problem. I've always ignored the dogs until I put all my stuff down when I come home.
Well your expectations are of course completely reasonable! I don't like being smothered by dog's as soon as I step in the door!

Back in the day Struddell (avatar) and Gunther (Band Dawg) I was willing to put up with some degree of ... silliness at the door. But that crap changed with Rocky my first WL GSD ever??? Pack fight's (no Boxer involvement) and following that Human Aggression???

And he did not much care for company??? And at 113 lbs, if he "chose, to go throw the storm door??? He could, and I was not playing that crap. So a knock on the door and I told him "PLACE!" And there he would stay until they left. Cuz I would set guard over him and made it pretty clear to anyone that dared to ask, "my I pet???" That the answer would have been a hard "NO!" :)

That caused a few sore butt's over the years but my dog my responsibility. And in his 10 years ... sigh he never bit anyone ... (well save for me, when I messed up breaking up a pack fight.)

But hey he made it up for it one day, when I slipped on the ice while defending him from two charging dog's! I slipped on the ice and went down with Rocky still behind me looking pretty bored with it all ie, "This old bit again??" But "daddy down??" Hmm not seen that before?? Perhaps, I should make my presence know ... "Now!" LOL it was epic and I was stunned! But that last dog flat disappeared! :)

But Struddell and Gunther indoor's?? Back then I did not know of "Place??" So I used go to bed! That worked ... kind of but "Struddell" luv'd company! So I would say "go to bed" and they would. Gunther was quite but Struddell not so much?? She would do as she was told (Go to bed) but she would pled and whine with eye's and stare at company and then me??

And then the guy's would focus on me cuz I am the bad guy??? So screw it I'd release her (them) and the craziness and antic's would follow. She would walk the couch line wiggling and licking faces as she went. Giggles and laughter would ensue ...

Ah well, she was certainly not a model for how dogs should behave with company but for bringing smiles and laughter she was the best! And if company did not much care for her antic's (she would sit and wait for attention??) And if they ignored her (usually female guest did??) Well "screw you, I'll go back to the guy's!! And all our male company adored her! I miss her dearly also ... she was a great companion and a good dog ... uh anyway. :)

But that is what it can be like with a well (reasonable trained people luv'ing Boxer.) But your `guy is just ... well flat out of control.

If you have to resort to "pinning," (and I except your definition of how it was done) then you have a "Serious Issue," cuz as you saw ... it doesn't make a difference??? Cause at this point ... to him??The "pinning thing" is just something Dad does ... no big deal. :)

Anyway thank you, I think I will try out the Pet Convincer.
I've not used it myself (although I should get one for Bella,) But a lot of the trainer's I follow and recommend do use and recommend it.

And they tend to work with dog's with uh ... "Serious freaking, "I will mess you up"issues." The one "caution," would be ... the first time you use it, will be your best chance! Combine, it with some "command" that he knows???

And as soon as you blast him, .... move the PC out of his line of sight! It will startle him the first time and that gives you an opening. But if he sees it he could either become afraid of it or think, it's a new kinda game???

PS don't tell my husband that I'm secretly blaming him for Ivan's behavior lol
LOL, well don't worry we won't rat you out ... but of course you are correct, he did or at the minium made it worst. :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You'll want to blast the dog in the neck not the face! It's a blast of super cold compressed air and a bit of noise! And the first time you use it ... you'll want to add a command! I would go with "NO," myself as that is ... "can be universal." As when properly taught , it means to the Dog. Whatever it is your doing ... stop doing it and don't do it again!! My Struddell (Avatar) was a master at "NO!" I could stop her from Bunny rabbit chases ... off leash at a distance with NO!! Sigh but life moves on ... and I have no more Struddell, :(

And with Bella, a bunny off leash in the desert??? Yeah she'd be gone!! Stupid dog but hey I will start to work on it! Aww well long post but if you do these things (Place Command and Sit on the Dog) with comment for say ..."Two Week's," I am pretty sure you will be in a much better place than you are now ... uh no Pun intended. :)

Place has worked for me, with my half assed approach (my bad) but hey if I don't have a dog that wants to go after uh everyone save for me and my wife?? I "apparently," am not that motivated??? And if I never took Bella ,anywhere off leash ... hey she'd be perfect! SIgh Boxer people you know much like our dog's ,kinda goofy. Hope this helps???:)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just a word of advice, I wouldn't point it at the dog at all, to many potential issues. I did use one for about a week to correct a certain behavior when he was a pup and just the sound itself is usually enough to break the dogs attention to whatever he is keyed in on or behavior you want to stop.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Yeah, some times she gets out 3 times, but I don't know if is few time or what do I need to do
Well you "need," to let us know if you live in home with a fenced in backyard or an apartment with no yard???

Now I suppose the "approaches," to "potty training would be very similar?? But if you have fenced in backyard ... it would take some of the pressure off. :)

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Just a word of advice, I wouldn't point it at the dog at all, to many potential issues. I did use one for about a week to correct a certain behavior when he was a pup and just the sound itself is usually enough to break the dogs attention to whatever he is keyed in on or behavior you want to stop.
Technically your suppose to aim it at the dog's neck. Cuz the blast of air is a part of the effect. But how effectively one can do that will depend on the given issue?? Cuz Boxer's tend to move pretty fast, so there is that.

But did it work for what, you wanted to achieve???

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yeah I just think with Boxers moving so quick and being right about lower arm level if you are pointing at the dog its just asking for trouble, imo.

I used it when he was a pup and greeting other dogs we knew on leash. He would get so crazy and wrap the leash around the other dog, etc. They don't tell you its one of the few times the sll is pretty useless. lol Great for passing dogs and walking by them, not so great for greeting his buddies.

I used it in the opposite hand he never saw it never pointed at him and it worked great.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Yeah I just think with Boxers moving so quick and being right about lower arm level if you are pointing at the dog its just asking for trouble, imo.

I used it when he was a pup and greeting other dogs we knew on leash. He would get so crazy and wrap the leash around the other dog, etc. They don't tell you its one of the few times the sll is pretty useless. lol Great for passing dogs and walking by them, not so great for greeting his buddies.

I used it in the opposite hand he never saw it never pointed at him and it worked great.
OK, ... well if it did work for that it should work for people to (with a leash) cuz in greeting stranger's (I can now do that again, without apprehension. :) )

But she is such a bag load of crazy with stranger's ... sigh that I just don't wanna deal with it ... my bad. :(

And "Place," half assed trained, and Sit on the Dog (half done yet again) only work at home for her. But at "Petco," with friendly strangers ... lot's of proofing opportunities to be found! :)

And I discovered ... that much to my surprise she is still a jumper??? She does not jump on me! But that behaviour only "applies" to me apparently (don't jump on me dog!??")

The knee thing ... I never say a word, I just left my knee, if a dog tries to jump on me and don't jump on me ... becomes a "self correcting behaviour," ie don't jump on "this guy," But "apparently," everyone else is still fair game??? Now I did see that happen with Struddell also (she would jump on other's so I had to work on it by other means) but it's been a long time and I forgot, that could happen ...jumping on other's???

But at Petco with the first stranger I said OK to "My I pet," she did fine ... Bella sat like a "Good Dog," until ... they kneeled down and squealed like a piggy in delight!

Sigh at that, it was, "Game On," and she jumped and wiggled like a tool in delight .... sigh. So yeah I still have work to do. :)

But the PC may work for me on leash.?? SLL is to a bit to much, as is the "Prong," which did make her tendency to "forge ahead" a bit better??? It's not that bad as Dog's go, but I want a Struddell like "ZERO," pressure on the leash!

So as it is leash pop's mean nothing to her, pop's on the top of the head with the loose end of the leash mean nothing and neither does blocking her with my Walking Stick?? I get tired of saying Bella Heel ... but to be fair, I really don't take her on neighborhood's very much?? I load her in the car and drive to a (hopefully and thus far) distraction free environment and let her go!

Sigh she is "Boxer," enough that I fell off the discipline wagon?? And no longer having to (always be concerned with, is my dog going after this person??) Takes off so much pressure that I have gotten well kinda lazy??

We do have rules but yeah, she is a counter surfer?? The cat bowl's, I feed two of them on the dinner room table. Two others on the Cat post and another one on an end table. Yeah I got lot's of cat's! And Bella likes cat food left overer's! SIgh but she is good, she waits, for the cat's to leave and then looks at me for permission to take what they leave??? I look back at her and sigh, (whatever) and she says "Good Enough!" :)

In the past ... I never would have allowed my dog's to do that! But no Boxer for seven years and no heavy responsibility to keep the public safe from my dog (Rocky.) I just don't sweat the little stuff???

The cat food dish leftovers, are a deal we've made and the only rule is ... you wait till they are done dog! She is good with that and so am I. Marilyn interferer's, every now and then and tells her "NO??" And I'll say "it's fine." :)

So you know, kinda like I said (I think) ... whoever does the training ...is the one that sets the rules! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts