Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pup is about 9 months old now and she has decided to stop listening. She used to be very good with sitting and waiting and being calm and not barking when people came in the door or while someone was in the driveway and it's like she threw it all out of the window. She is also now jumping to take toys and treats out of my hand, barking and groweling at people in the house and getting a little nippy. What can I do to combat this? Do I just need to carry on with training and wait for her to grow out of this?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Have you been consistent with the training up to when she seemed to start changing a little? Some people will make the mistake of thinking because a dog knows something a couple times its trained.

I know with my guy he started barking if anyone comes to the door right around about a year. Its not a constant bark, but its a deep growl a few barks then he just stares. I encourage that though with my guy. Gets solicitors moving on pretty quickly. This you can correct pretty easily with the help of a neighbor/friend/family, leash your girl have the person come up to the door and correct her right when you notice her body language change. Repetition and timing would be key. Once she gets into the barking, going to be a bit harder to correct.

As for the other behavior, not sure she would "grow out of it". Bad habits stay around unless corrected. I would go back to basics and what worked for you before.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
LOL ... well first I'm gonna say, you should have got a "male!" :)

As right now you are dealing with the "down Side of the Female's" ie "Pig Headed and stubborn!! It is a "thing" and it "apparently" crosses over to female Boxer? Pit mixes also ... so it would seem. :chair:

But step one ... take a deep breath and "chill!" I doubt you will have much impact on her, doing the "same old thing you've already been doing?? So do something different!!

You can train "calmness" into a dog, it is actually a "thing." And it works like this.:https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Now I have still not rained it like that ... using a "Place Cot (Elevated Surface) but with my new dog (Boxer/Pit) and kinda "pig headed, stubborn and crazy, five week in so far and before she was "Crated" ... alot! And now she is not Crated at all! She's learned to "get a grip as it were." :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
If she became aggressive to humans, has she been attacked or threatened by anyone?
It's necessary to help her rebuild the confidence and trust with people. Training is a good option to correct his behaviors but also form a good habit.
You could start with command training, socialization training, and crate training.
Command training will help you to control the bad behaviors of your pup as well as be useful in other training.
Socialization is very important for a dog, which is used in daily walks and going to the public area.
Crate training your pup is to teach her to keep calm in the crate in many situations, such as guests visits, boarding in the kennel or daycare, traveling by airplane. You could refer my enclosed guides or other tips on google or youtube.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Emijean, She is a teenager and will test you. Go back to training. Keep in mind that once a behavior is learned you still must practice it. Our boy i 4 now,we still go thru the motions every so often to keep them ingrained. She will get past this stage as long as you keep working with her. You have gotten some good advise already, incorporate it into your daily routine.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
If she became aggressive to humans, has she been attacked or threatened by anyone?
It's necessary to help her rebuild the confidence and trust with people. Training is a good option to correct his behaviors but also form a good habit.

Those are good questions in any case and I kinda glazed over the "growling at people in the home bit," my bad. :chair:

In anycase the recommends you gave are "solid" I don't disagree, although I will quibble with some. :)

My Band Dawg and of course my Boxer, Welcomed Company with open paws sigh, a bit to much so at times!! :chair:

My GSD ... not so much!! If the dog is a "threat" to people??? Rules/Structure
and Discipline are "mandatory" and not optional. And yeah they are mandatory anyway, but if the dog is a "threat to people or if one prefers unpredictable around people???" That's another thing all together.

I don't know where this dog falls on the people spectrum???

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Those are good questions in any case and I kinda glazed over the "growling at people in the home bit," my bad. :chair:

In anycase the recommends you gave are "solid" I don't disagree, although I will quibble with some. :)

My Band Dawg and of course my Boxer, Welcomed Company with open paws sigh, a bit to much so at times!! :chair:

My GSD ... not so much!! If the dog is a "threat" to people??? Rules/Structure
and Discipline are "mandatory" and not optional. And yeah they are mandatory anyway, but if the dog is a "threat to people or if one prefers unpredictable around people???" That's another thing all together.

I don't know where this dog falls on the people spectrum???
If I had to take a guess, typical young boxer not getting their way, so they talk back and do the nip and dodge when they don't get their way, or in my guys case at that age, go for the achilles and then run like the wind when I turned around.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
If I had to take a guess, typical young boxer not getting their way, so they talk back and do the nip and dodge when they don't get their way, or in my guys case at that age, go for the achilles and then run like the wind when I turned around.
Oh Ok ... the "talk back thing" is kinda how I read it also???

But "typically" I think "Boxers" seem to reserve that crap for their owners???
Most likely Bentley King, is the only one of us that saw "the dog growls at company in the home" and did not put a "Our Boxers" filter on it???

Fear, Lack of confidence or you know outright hostility ie "My House," so why are you here ... stranger??"Are the only reasons for a dog to be growling at guest ... in my experience anyway.

If one has any kinda "people crap" going on with there dog, then one has to "Up There Game!" You can't let "crap slide" and can't afford to make mistake ie "Strangers and Treats" to trick people into the dog's "space"
for one "popular screw up!

A dedicated owner could still deal with it ... but a lot of the seemingly incident "crap behaviour" couldn't be tolerated and strict "Protocol" would have to be followed!

IE... "No Free Roaming in the Home," No Dogs on the Furniture" and certainly "No Dogs in your Bed!" In doors it would be "Place or Crate" period! And a "Sorry No You, Can't Pet My Dog, Stranger!" Which you know I suppose is a good call anyway, but "now" I no longer have to enforce it with my new dog. :)

At any rate enough about my dogs. And I don't know if it's just me?? But I have found "truly safe" people friendly dogs ... pretty easy to see?? Out and about ... they just "clearly" like people! There is really nothing to think about?? And if they don't have a "people out and about issue" they tend to have no problem at home?? But if they have a "people problem at home???" Well ... you've been warned! Take them at their word and proceed accordingly!

So long way of saying "yeah" we do need to know a bit more about this dog's "people Issues??" :)

She is a "mix" and maybe the "everybody" is my friend gene, did not cross over?? It's not a big deal in either case but the "urgency" of gaining control over her would be. The other behavior ie general "Pig Headed-ishness" is pretty much "par for the course" with the girls anyway. But growling at company ... yeah that's a problem. More details needed it would seem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts