Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were planning on getting Guido neutered to help with his marking and behavior issues, but after talking to people and researching, it doesn't seem like neutering is going to be the end-all-solution. Because he has marked for so long, I would imagine that he's going to keep doing it. I found this cool thing online called the belly band. It's basically a diaper for male dogs that have a problem with marking or incontinence. It doesn't stop them from marking, but at least he won't be ruining the carpet in the apartment since it is impossible to get the stain out.

Here's a link: http://www.dog-breeds.net/dog_diaper_belly_band.htm

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
How old is Guido? Are you planning on using him to breed? I do agree that neutering is not the cure all and will not automatically stop his marking, but it will help to stop some of the unwanted behaviors.  It will also help him in a lot of other health aspects. I am a huge advocate for spaying and neutering. If you are not going to breed, there really is no viable reason to leave him intact. It can only help in the marking and any other behaviors you are experiencing with Guido. Here is also a link on neutering if you are interested.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=911

I've seen those belly bands before, but really don't know anyone personally that have used them.  :roll:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Actually, I have read that those can be beneficial in stopping them because it leaves them feeling the wetness, which they don't like and stop doing it. Not sure how true or effective but figured I would let you know.
I agree with him getting neutered though...why not if he's not going to be bred?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Have you sought professional training for this type of behavior?

I am skeptical on the band thing, just seems like is a behavior that needs some attention to be fixed.   Putting a band around him seems to make me think it will only be a band-aid until the proper behavior correction is sought.  And I dont think you want a band around your dog 24/7.

I am no training expert but I would consult a behavioralist to see what you can do before purchasing the band:)

Good Luck:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just moved about 2 months ago and I don't know anyone in this area. I have been trying to find a good vet for a month or so and I have been looking for a trainer lately too.

I'm still not ruling out getting him neutered, but I also might try the band if we do get him neutered and he doesn't stop marking.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree with Tootsie....Although neutering will not "cure" the marking it also has been shown to help with it and sometimes will stop it....They mark for many reasons and male testro is just one of them....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts