Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hemp is mostly used as a broad term to describe the low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) strains of the plant Cannabis sativa, also called Industrial Hemp. We are going to cover the health benefits for these strains, not to be confused with the strains much higher in THC commonly known as Marijuana.
Industrial hemp has very minimal amounts of THC and has none of the psychoactive properties of Marijuana. With that cleared up, let's explore a brief history and the benefits of Hemp seed oil for our pets.

Hemp has been in use for thousands of years. Archaeological evidence dates it back to the Neolithic Age in China with imprints of hemp fibers found on pottery dating to the 5th century BC. The Spaniards
brought hemp to the Western Hemisphere starting around 1545, and the natives in the main Powhatan village (where Richmond VA is now located) were observed cultivating hemp in 1607. Both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson also grew hemp on their farms.

Although hemp's main use in history has been to make clothing, rope, and paper, recent interest in the health benefits has been on the rise, especially for animals. Since the United States is the only industrialized nation in the world that has outlawed hemp farming, hemp products have to be imported from other countries such as Canada, Australia and Great Britain. Organically grown hemp is not hard to come by since hemp is extremely hardy, grows in just about any soil type, and very few pests cause problems. Also, because of its rapid growth, hemp is a natural weed suppressor so it is often grown without herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides.

So what are some of the health benefits of Hemp Oil for our pets?

• Has the perfect ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids, 3:1. Omega 3 and 6 are Essential Fatty Acids (EFA) that must be obtained through food and are required for optimal health. The correct levels of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids leads to healthy skin, coat, joints and immune system.

• Has more EFAs than Flax or any other nut or seed.

• Is comprised of 25% protein. This high quality protein provides amino acids in ratios similar to eggs and meat.
  • Contains all 20 amino acids, including the 9 essentials ones.
  • Is easily digestible.
  • Has been used with success for the treatment of cancer.
  • Has anti-inflammatory properties which has been shown to aid in the treatment of arthritis.
  • Free from the smell and toxins of fish oil.
  • Is GMO free.
  • Free from allergens.
  • Supports a healthy weight.
  • Increases energy.
  • Has beneficial effects on the cardiovascular, neurological, and reproductive systems.

Hemp can be consumed in other forms besides hemp seed oil. Hemp feed cakes or pellets are used to feed a variety of animals including horses, cattle, pigs, poultry, and even fish. The whole plant, including stalks and leaves, is suitable as feed for ruminants including horses.

Hemp protein powder is also available which some people find more convenient than the hemp seed oil because it has a longer shelf life. Hemp protein powder has a shelf life of about 12 months if stored properly, while hemp seed oil must be refrigerated and out of the light after opening and has a much lower shelf life. Both can be kept in the freezer, and what's cool is hemp oil won't freeze into a solid in your home freezer, thus enabling you to extend its shelf life. You can also buy hemp flour (great for baking treats for your pets!), whole hemp seeds, shelled hemp seeds (called hearts) and even hemp milk.

Hemp seed oil recommended dosage for pets:

• 10lbs of body weight = 1 ml
  • 20lbs of body weight = 1.5 ml
  • 30lbs of body weight = 2 ml
  • 40lbs of body weight = 2.5 ml
  • 50lbs of body weight = 3 ml
  • 60lbs of body weight = 3.5 ml
  • 70lbs of body weight = 4 ml
  • 80lbs of body weight = 4.5 ml
  • Over 90lbs of body weight = 5 ml

Want to try a new dog treat recipe?

Peanut Butter and Hemp Seed Dog Treats

2 cups Organic hemp seed flour

1/8 cup hemp seeds

1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

1 cup all natural organic peanut butter

1 cup of milk or water

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Mix flour, hemp seeds, and baking powder in one bowl. In another bowl mix peanut butter and milk with an electric mixer, slowly adding the dry ingredients until a thick dough forms. Roll out dough to 1/4” thickness and cut with a knife or cookie cutter. Place on flat cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes depending on the size. Let the treats cool completely before sharing.

So now that you know the benefits of hemp for your pets, why not add some to their next meal? It's one of natures best kept secrets!

All posts with blog post in the title are ones I wrote for another website

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
This is good to know.
Since hemp farming is outlawed in the US, is hemp oil or hemp powder available to purchase in the US ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I purchase the shelled hemp seeds hearts at my local grocery store here in Arizona. The hemp powder is available as a protein powder but I use whey protein instead. I just mix the seeds in my protein smoothies. Didn't think about it for the puppies til now :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lynne yes you can purchase it in the US most is imported from Canada. Nutiva the company that has coconut oil sells it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have read recently an article about the benefits of olive oil on our pets but I read about hemp oil for the first time here. Thanks for boosting this post there. My dog feels a little bit weak this month, climate change I have no idea. I'm thinking to administrate some of the hemp oil, maybe it would help. I read a useful article about the best CBD oils of 2020 and I was motivated to buy it for ameliorating my knees aches during my football training. So, it's useful for people, but to administrate it to my pets it sounds weird. What do you think, guys?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts