Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two males, and I am not planning to breed any of them. Any benefits with neutering them? I am a bit confused, I don't know if I should do it or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe that having two intact males you run the risk of fights between the two of them.  

Here is an article that I found on the benefits of neutering.

Benefits of Neutering

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It's totally an individual decision. The way I look at it is, if you are not showing or breeding, then there is no reason not to have them neutered. It is a personal decision, one which you need to decide. Personally, I have had all my pets spayed and neutered by 6 months of age. I do not want to deal with any heat cycles and I really don't care for the "look" of an unaltered male, if you know what I mean!
Do a search on neutering in the health forum and you will come up with a bunch of threads on this topic. Good luck with your decision!  :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
if you wait til the male is 1 year old, it can help to prevent hip problems and allow more natural growth

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As you have 2 males, that alone is a good reason to neuter....Fighting can happen and you could risk injury to one or both of them...I'm with Lisa on this, I have no intention on breeding, showing is a very slim option, so all mine are fixed, better for them, better for me....Having intact males you also run the risk if them taking off to find a female in season and believe me, they can smell that female from far away

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well for a couple of reasons....
1 you have 2 males, this will help curb fights
2 you may have them out side and a female in heat walks buy and you say WOW never knew my dog could jump over my 6 foot fence lol
3 less aggression.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i read that it can also prevent testicular cancer because they just arent there of course. I am waiting until Mav is about a year to a year and a half old for a couple reasons

- he is the only male dog at the moment so it is a bit of a luxury to be able to wait. if at any point i get a second male maverick will get neutered before it comes home because of the aggression

- Mav is a small male and ive read about some benefits to growth in intact males

- the MAIN REASON....i hate my vet because he doesnt ever listen to a thing i say and so i WILL NOT allow him to do a surgery on Mav that is not absolutely necessary at that moment....We are moving in the summer when Mav is about a year back to my home area and i like the vet there so I trust to get Mav done over there. If i had trusted my vet i would have gotten Maverick done at 6mo but because i think he may use ACE because he is a know it all who will not respect what im saying to him.

my advice is a find a good vet and get them neutered because you have two males and it will cut down on aggression

·
Registered
28 Posts
All of the animals that die every year without someone to ever love them is a VERY important reason to alter your pet...just like humans...the males just have to lay the seed once and badabingbadaboom...babies arrive...and with dogs many more...and again like humans...the male and his family oftentimes never know nor need to deal with the problem!!

I know it's easy to say it will never happen to my dog...its actually very likely that one of your two males in their lifetimes will come across an unaltered female in heat and could also very likely impregnate her!!!

Overall...that is your choice to make!!

G

·
0 Posts
If you choose not to alter them, it just means you have to be 110% responsible in watching them, not 100%...it is a personal choice..but as others said...two unaltered males would worry me a bit, lol...two altered males have issues at my mom's house!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts