Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rescued boxer Bailey has flatulence and my husband has a very sensitive nose. Hubby can't be in the same room as Bailey when it happens. (sooo disruptive when we're watching a show!)

I've tried a couple varieties of Solid Gold dog food. I noticed that when she was on a bland diet for a few days (rice and eggs), which restarted yesterday because of recent diarrhea, hubby didn't say anything about the flatulence. (I didn't notice, but then I often don't.) Maybe we should do bland with a little bit of the dog food? Or maybe we'll try yet another dog food like Science Diet or Eukanuba or Real Canine as suggested by our vet.

I'm very interested in what you experienced boxer lovers can tell me about preventing flatulence.

Thanks!
Pamela

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson has always had a lot of problems with that & yes, certain foods will make it worse. I found that giving him some yogurt with his food, about a 1/4 or so, really helps!!! I give him glucosamine and if I crush the tablets into the yogurt, he eats it every time, plus he just loves yogurt.. Hope that helps you.. Any brand or type will do, altho I don't use the ones with the "fruit in the bottom", personal preference..

·
Registered
744 Posts
It has been my experience that gas comes along with a diet that they're not tolerating well, and/or when they're missing something in their diet, or if they're being overfed. Gas only happens at my house when they really have to go out to go to the bathroom, or when they have diarrhea.

There are a few things that you can try to see if it helps. The first is adding a probiotic to her food. Probiotics are why yogurt sometimes helps; because yogurt contains them (Lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium longum, etc). I don't usually do yogurt, because it is a milk product and many dogs don't do well on milk products either.

Instead I order a combination digestive enzyme/probiotic supplement from this company: http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/DOGzyme.htm

I'm very happy with this product, it needs no refrigeration and comes in a powdered form. Just sprinkle a bit over their food with each meal. For many people who I have recommended this product to, the problem was solved almost immediately.

As equally important is finding the food that is right for her. Just switching brands of food is not going to do anything if they all contain the same ingredients (see where I'm going here? ;) ). If she does poorly on Solid Gold, I would take a look at the ingredients and try something else. For example, off the top of my head (if I remember correctly), Solid Gold contains chicken and flaxseed oil. If she did poorly on this food, I'd give a food with lamb and canola oil (like California Natural Lamb and Rice).

Also, you will have to keep her on a food for at least a month to see a change. Many times gas comes along with a food switch, and will not be eliminated until she gets used to the diet. If you've just switched her, I would wait a month prior to considering switching her again.

The foods that your vet suggested are not good quality foods. Science Diet contains fillers and cancer causing preservatives. Vets receive perks, incentives and reimbursement for each bag they sell, which is why they push it.

One last thing that you can do is to make sure that you're not over feeding her (they should be eating only enough to keep from seeing ribs and/or hip bones) and feed more frequently. I feed three times per day - once in the morning before work, once when we get home from work and once late in the evening.

Good luck, I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice! You know, the flatulence was especially bad recently, with the diarrhea, so that makes a lot of sense. You can see her ribs so I think she's fine that way.

I'm actually using a powdered probiotic right now, received from the vet. The stuff I'm using is called "probios" and its second ingredient is whey; however, Bailey seems to be doing just fine on it.

(Oh, I should say I saw the other vet in the office, so I was a bit surprised to hear the food recommendations because I don't remember the original vet ever suggesting foods like these - the original vet suggested Solid Gold.)

I will look at other foods and I appreciate the suggestion to try California Natural Lamb and Rice.

Thanks again!
Pamela

·
Registered
162 Posts
Chloe is on Canidae All Life Stages, but Timberwolf and Chicken Soup brand are also good.  Canidae is a blend of many different sources of proteins: fish, chicken, beef, etc.  Timberwolf has different blends - like bison and elk.  You can find these at All Natural Pet Food Stores.  

I don't know how much the foods your vet recommended are - but I can get Canidae for $20 for a 20lb bag or $35 for a 40lb bag - and you feed less amount due to the fact that there are not a bunch of junk fillers in the food - so it may end up being the same price per serving.

I also heard (others can verify) that boxers tend to have more allergies - especially towards products with corn and wheat.  A lot of foods use corn starch or wheat as the main product in the food.  Also look at what treats you give him and how many.  Chloe tends to get gas with treats that had a lot of corn starch in them - they were the Kong cookies - so we stay with "all natural" treats from the same place we get her food - no wheat or corn products.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm in the middle of switching my Boxer to Acana - Lamb & Apple... was one of the only ones that Acana made he didnt have Gas on before we tried Raw.
Our Vet said he could be lacking Zinc in his diet on Raw food and to add a bunch of supplements it gets really COSTLY...we decided to switch him back to the Lamb & Apple as he was fine onit before.... But in the switch over he has had some gassy issues but we'll see once he's fully onit if the gas subdues, if not we'll maybe try a different brand thats just Lamb & Rice.

Any other suggestions I could try with the switch over?

·
Registered
464 Posts
My husband is being a butt about switching foods. He thinks it is fine that he poops all the time, mostly semi-soft. Oh, and the gas is horrible! We did get Charcoal treats and his gas is just noise with them. No stink. You can try that as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Roddy came to us as a foster dog and with him came the worst poops I have ever seens dog produce - they looked like cow pats! and such bad gas that you simply had to get up and leave the room. Now I put him straight on probiotics and digestive enzymes - both helped to cut down on the gas but did very little to firm up his poops. As he was a foster I couldn't put him on a raw diet [raw meat and bones] so I tried several different types of commercial foods - from the most sensitive to the most expensive - in all honestly nothing suited him. He was with us 6 months when we decided to adopt him ourselves. I put him straight onto raw and in truth it has firmed up his poops and gas? what gas? rarely have that problem these days, thank goodness!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm actually using a powdered probiotic right now, received from the vet. The stuff I'm using is called "probios" and its second ingredient is whey; however, Bailey seems to be doing just fine on it.
I found Probios at Tractor Supply (back in the livestock area) - maybe cheaper than from your vet? My SIL swears by it for her sensitive stomach dalmation. I may try it after the probiotic capsules that my vet prescribed run out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts