Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright heres my question, what are some peoples suggestions for a companion breed for my boxer without the obvious choice of another boxer.  I'm not looking for another dog at the moment, but once I finish school and start working full time, I'm probably going to want a companion for Spinx.  I know another boxer would be a great choice, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendations for other companions?  (ie.  I really like bullmastiffs, but I worry that they arent high energy enough for my goofy guy)

Thanks in advance for any replies

Brian

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I know our breeder also breeds and shows frnch bull dogs.  All the dogs are socialized together.   Bostons are a good match as well ...so I hear, not sure on the bigger dogs, but I guess it depends on what you want.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm not so sure that breed is as important as compatible temperaments (although small breeds might get squished by an exuberant boxer).  Our other dog, Chipper, is an older lab (11), and he's definitely an alpha male.  Duke, our boxer, defers to him willingly and happily, even letting Chipper enter the house first when coming in from outside (even though Duke always makes it to the door first).  He knows his place and stays in it.  We adopted Duke from a former two-boxer home in July (a divorce situation where the ex-wife couldn't afford to keep him).  Apparently, the other boxer was also an alpha male, so Duke was used to being the submissive one.  You might want to try out social situations with other dogs to see what works and what doesn't.  Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Ihave a 2 year Staffordshire Terrier and He plays great with my 2 males.. He is more behaved then the Boxers and not so rough. He is for me a good dog..

·
Registered
544 Posts
My one friend has an english bulldog who gets along great with his boxer and has absolutely no problem keeping up.  Another friend has a boston terrier who I think has more energy than the boxer she owns.  Both breeds are great companions with the boxers from what I've observed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a boxer and a pug and they get on great together, energy levels are about the same and they play rough together with no problems.  Our pug is definitely the dominant one though!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well my brother just got a husky and he is keeping the girls running. they are having a wonderful time together.  aside from that, i think any dog that is medium to large breed with a higher energy level would be good

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have a 13 pound Bichon who is the alpha male and puts our 43 pound female in her place.  They love to run and play....usually around the coffee table in the living room using the couch as a banked curve.  Both were puppies when we got them.  The bichon is about 6 months younger.  They are best pals and love each other.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We have 9 dogs....

3 boxers
2 english bulldogs
1 labrador
1 dalmatian
1 boxer mix
1 lab/great dane mix

My boxer 'Dixie Rose' and my lab/great dane (predomintly Lab) 'Tristan' are absolutely the best of friends out of all the dogs. Those two have to do everything together. Play, eat, sleep. If you take one out of the sight of the other...they cry for each other to come back.
I know of several people who have a of a Boxer and a Lab and they all get along great together.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Jetta used to live with a St. Bernard and they loved each other!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts