Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to sound like a cheap butt, but what is everybody feeding there dogs, and how much are you paying?  Also list how many lbs. that is for.  Now that we've got Charlie and Sadie, there going thru a 33lb. bag of Solid Gold around every 3 weeks.  With taxes, that runs 40 bucks.  I kid people and tell them the dogs eat high quality food that me and the wife do.  Just curious if there are some foods out there that are a decent amount cheaper but still have good quality.  I've fed them Chicken Soup and Canidae before.  Charlie has a sensitive stomach so that makes some food choices hard.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i feed merrick at about 51.99 for 40#...very high grade..worth every penny...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Everytime I go to the doggy bakery to get their food I wind up buying toys and treats and other stuff so I never know what I'm paying for the food.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we  feed Nutro Max and i just bought a 10 lb bag for $15. typuically we get a larger bag but the store was out. I hear feed stores have a bit cheaper price for the same food as what petsmart or petco sales. I am thinking about buzzing to a local store just to see the price difference.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We use Bil-Jac large breed, it is $40.00 for a 33lb bag.  Teaki also has a sensitive stomach and wasn't able to eat any of the other foods we tried for her.  After 5 years this was the only food she loves and can keep down.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I just switched to Chicken Soup and Angel, my somewhat finicky one is loving it and I'm happy with how their stools are...I'm paying $18.99 for a 18 lb bag from  my local pet store....I think I go thru 2 bags a month....

·
Registered
405 Posts
We were on Canidae,  $36 for 40 lb bag (once it was on sale 2 for $55!!).

Then onto Natural Balance for Abby due to a skin allergy...$40ish for a 28 lb bag.

Then Brades decided that if Ab gets something new, he should too and stops eating the Canidae. So we moved onto some small bags while we figured out what he likes. We did a 5 lb bag of Authority Harvest Baked, I believe that was like $8. We did a 5 lb bag of Iams Natural (not a good selection but I was desparate to get him to eat something and Target was the only place open).  Ended up on Chicken Soup which I think is about $36 for a 35 lb bag.

In the meantime, while the Natural Balance was working, it wasn't solving the problem, so onto California Natural, $40 for a 36 lb bag.  

And that was making the problem worse, so back to Natural Balance.

I found that petfooddirect.com is a pretty good indication of what various foods costs...the costs on their website are pretty close to the costs at the stores around us.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We feed Nutro Natrual Choice Lamb and Rice.

At PetCo.  it is $28 for a 20 pound bag.

At Tractor Supply Co. it is $20 for a 20 pound bag.  Plus, Henry LOVES to go into the Tractor Supply Co.!  And they have lots of toys and treats and stuff that they don't have at PetCo.

Good luck finding one that's right for you. :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've started switching them up... I do Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice - $28 for a 44lb bag (and $25 when I have coupons). Then I sometimes do some Nature's Recipe and I can only get it in 8lb bags for $16 ($12 after coupons).

·
Registered
61 Posts
We use Natural Balance, like others have said its ~44 bucks for a 28 pound bag. Its definately more expensive that going to Wally World and picking up a bag of purina this or that.. But when you switch to a higher quality food, you notice the results pretty fast. After a couple weeks our boys looked like "brand new cars that had been polished and buffed" their coats were softer, alot shinier it was pretty amazing. I wouldnt go back to feeding them iams, purina one or anything else again.

There are alot of high quality brands, and you'll see folks swear by them on here. You just need to find one thats available and right for yours.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
We feed Mic and Indy Nutripet Premium Dog food...it's $62.99 for a 40# bag...we are going through about 40# (+) a month right now...there abouts...they do well on it...there is of course the other Nutripet canned Lamb and rice that we use with it...don't remember how much that is for a case of 12

Good luck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just switched Jaxon to Canidae.  I got my first 40# bag for $34.  I'm feeding 2 dogs with this food, but since it's my first bag, I don't know how fast I'll go through 40#.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You know.. with all these multiple dog owners and going through food so quickly, do you free feed or do you feed on like a schedule? When I *lived* with the bf we went through 44lbs of food a month BUT it was between 4 dogs.. Is that weird?

·
Registered
291 Posts
we use royal canin its about 50 bucks for a 40lb bag, its worth it in the long run. I used to think any food would do, but if the food is not of a good quality your gonna end up sooner or later paying it in vet bills. Royal canin is specially formulated as others are for easy digestion etc. Knock on wood but my dog is in very good health. and the last statement on my soap box, youve heard about all the recalls, the crappier dog foods are always on them.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't want cheap like Ol Roy or Pedigree, just didn't know if there were any secret foods out there that were cheap but still had good quality.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well apparently the costoco brand had a very high score on the "rate your dog food" link-i believe it was above a 95. Since it is a store brand it may not be too much. (not saying you are tyring to be cheap :) )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts