Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about the best time to neuter or spay a puppy. Mav's vet said wait until his teeth fall out and that is a sign he is old enough to be neutered. A trainer said i should get it done now before any onset of doggy puberty i guess...forget how he worded it. Maverick is just a little over 4 months so I dont know? Is it too soon?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Some vets will do it at four months others feel confortable with waiting until six. I guess it would be up to your vet unless you wanted to take him to a vet that will do it now. Just some advise..
Samantha

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm the article is heavily suggesting that neutering does more bad than good in most dogs and that it's only true benefit (a benefit that isnt out weighed by the cons of the procedure) is preventing unwanted breedings. It's nice to see the other opinions tho i guess.

Im curious and maybe Sharon would know best but is it detrimental to have a dog neutered? Is there truth to that article? Im nervous now.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I read over most of the article and it speaks alot of females.  With just about any health related topic, food, shots, pay/neuter, bloat, flea med's, heartworm stuff etc....you can find articles for and articles against.

My PERSONAL take is if you are not going to use your pet for breeding then spay or neuter.  On females prior to the first heat and on males anytime after 6 months of age...

I do not feel it is detrimental to spay or neuter pets as long as it is done properly. And trust me there are PLENTY of intact males that still have urine continence problems in older age....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
This is another article which discusses both the pros and the cons of spay/neuter.  It is by far IMO the most thorough, balanced piece of literature currently available on the subject, and includes recent research (which most s/n propaganda pieces ignore).  There is also a thorough list of references to the studies discussed, the abstracts for most if not all of which can be found at www.pubmed.com  I think everyone who owns a dog should read this article, personally.

www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthE ... InDogs.pdf

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
My personal opinion is the earlier the better. I would definitely want a female spayed before her first heat, and a male neutered before any of the unwanted behaviors started. So...I would spay and neuter no later than 6 months. JMO  :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Female dogs can have their first heat anywhere between 5 and 24 months of age. Small breeds tend to have their first heat around 5-6 months, while some giant breed dogs will not start to cycle until they are 18-24 months of age. I know there is a big window there. I've known a boxer that had her first heat at 9 months and then one that had it at 17 months.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is a good article, but it is still observation information from old facts.  The dates range from the 1970's to the most recent article of 2003 on weight gain.  
At the end of the day it is the owners choice. I will stay with spay/neuter your pets....I have seen far more cases of testicular cancer and mam tumors then I have the reported side effects/benefits of not doing it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if i neuter maverick at around 6 months which will be in december over my holiday break, is that pretty much normal?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The value of the above paper is that it does consider all the available research, including the most recent (the peer-review/publication dates actually go through 2006); the 'standard' information uses very little past the 1970s.  I agree, it is the owner's choice, but IMO it should be a fully-informed choice, and most information on spay/neuter does not list any negatives except general surgical risks.  Since Boxers in general are at a higher risk of hemangiosarcoma, hypothyroidism, and spay incontinence, the risk for all of which is increased by spay/neuter, I just think it is vitally important for owners to know exactly what they are risking.  :)

Donya, rescue groups and shelters often neuter at a very early age, as early as six or eight weeks, but for most 'private owners' six months seems to be pretty much the standard age if you're going to neuter before adulthood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts