Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Kong, makes little tires for dog's in assorted sizes. They are pretty tough, we had one for over a decade?? I thought ... they were virtually indestructible, until we got Bella. SHe dusted that thing in fairly short order???

I guess the other dog's just did not like the thing that much?? And the pig ear's?? Yeah I had to pulll one out of Gunther's throat also! Luckily I was there. ANd yep it was a large Pig Ear he got it soft andf decided to swollow it whole???

After that I now use pruning shear's to cut them up into more reason strip"s. That work's out fine. :)

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Training and exercise
Well ... of course "Training and Exercise," is important! But it's not enough?? We had the old exercise cures all "debate," on GSDForum, quite often. And I "off course," was on the "Exercise Does," not cure all?? Now where I live now, I am lucky! Ton's of "open Space! I could "now," drive about quarter mile from my house, open the door and say "OK." And my dog's could you know run as long as they want! So for me "Exercise," was a piece of cake! But even still if I had company come ... they were kinda off the hook?? So I still had stuff to learn??

We had more than our fair share of the "Exercise Cures All," advocate's on Germanshepardforum.com, all the time. So ...let's look at that ... the purpose of exercise is to increase the "Body's ability to do work?? Ok sure so what does that mean exactly??

Well finally we had a "Marathon Runner," chime in. And he stated his GSD, went on a dfaily run's of 15 mile's every day!!! And what he found, was that after a few month's?? He had just created a "Super Athlete," of a dog!! They would get home ... the dog would take a short nap and wake up and eager to get back into A-Hole mode!!!

So exercise ... does not "Cure All." Dog's already how to "move!" That is kinda what they do?? But what they don't know ... is "how to chill??"

And "Training Dog's," is thing, cuz it is not something they know how to do?? But you know it can be taught! And sigh ... all my "super star," hand picked "Prima Donna, Puppies are long gone. :(

So now sigh .... I have a real world PIA at times Rescue, Bella... And yeah with distraction's sigh, she has proven she still, does not have a reliable recall!!!

So there is that, but in the very relatable, "I just got home from work and my Boxer is all "up in face!!" I got that one solved! I did half ass "train, Place" and even still it work's!

Sometime's when I come from work, I will say "Place," and point to the "Couch," uh yeah she is a on the furniture dog, my bad?? And sometimes I say nothing and she just put's herself in Place!

Long way of saying ... "Dog's already know how to exercise." But they need to be"Trained ... How To Chill ,The Heck Out." It's a "thing. :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well i'm not making judgements on the OP and I have no idea what the reason for "keeping a boxer entertained for a long time" relates too. But usually people will say things like that when they are lazy and don't feel like actually doing anything with a dog. Again, not saying this was the OP's reasoning.

If you want a dog that sits on the couch 12 hours a day, don't get a boxer or for that matter any working dog. Its of my opinion most people just want a dog they let outside to go to the bathroom or take for a walk when the weather is nice every once in a while, etc.. People will buy a breed because "they like the way it looks" or its "popular" and don't look into what the dogs actual needs are.

As far as making a dog incredibly fit, we bike about 3-5 miles a day. We also go to the beach and take structured walks. There is an off button though and he can settle down. Its all about balance. It can't just be exercise, without training and vice versa.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
LOL, well a very long time I opened up a whole world of hurt, on BoxerWorld, when I told one lazy A-Hole, that he should "Re-home," his Boxer and get a English Bull Dog! It was pretty much down hill from there. :)

But ... high energy, high drive dog's can be "Taught To Chill, The Heck Out!" It is actually a "thing." And dog's ... don't come by it "naturally??" It has to be "Trained."

I am not "dissing, " exercise and training, it sound's like you figured out the "Off Switch." bit?? But much of JQP, does not??

They have no idea that "Training a Dog To Chill, The Heck Out," is actually a thing! On Germanshepardforum, it was an on going debate?? And well while am just, JQP pet dog owner ... my back up was a K9, officer and dog trainer! And he and I were a team on agreeing that today's ... "WL K9's" are kinda crazy?? They don't have ... "that great an off switch??"

Pretty much All drive, and barely civil! If your JQP, and not a perp ... you best "Keep Your Distance!" They were "Not," like that when I grew up! I was born in 57 and back then K9 officer's would come to the school's with there dog's. And us kid's could greet them!

Those dog's had an "Off Switch," and they were safe! Today ... I have no idea if K9's any longer visit school's?? And you can rest assured that those dog's have no "shortage of exercise and training." :)

But being "Civil," ?? Maybe not so much?? I live next to a "Police station," outpost. And they have K9 unit's there all the time. But I as a non threat ... and I stay well the, "Hell Clear Of Those Dog's!" But "assuming ," that those dog's are the best of the best??

Yeah ... "NO," some of them "aren't that good!" And neither are there freaking handler's! My Rocky was more civil better trained and safe around people, then are a lot of today's Wl GSD's K9's and trust me on this ..."He did not like stranger's!" But he and I could go in public "off leash," and he was safe!

And I could "eventually," have company in the home and "Not," sweat bullet's, that he was gonna maul someone?? But yeah ... he and I sat apart from guest and I let "NO ONE," or few freely interact with him?? But hey this crap (human Aggression) was new to me so I was kinda anal. :)

But Rocky knew "Place!" And at the time ... it was just something ... I stumbled across?? But I was quick to spot ... that this seems to work! Training a dog to chill, is a "Thing." And anyone can do it, if they know how!

Sigh ... my Bella is "not," as I used to say a "Hand Picked Prima Donna Puppy"... She is just a regular one year old Pit/Boxer rescue.

We can go out on off leash, with strict protocol's, desert run's and sigh I do come home with her ... another story. And the first thing in the morning when she gets up?? she will rip around around the large back yard at insane speed ... just because!! She scare's the crap out of me cuz, I fear she won't make the turn?? But she always does! :)

But ... I have "trained an "off switch!" The "Place Command!" And it does "work," even with company ... she luv's people! Sigh ... even so ... I try and pretend ... she will get a grip on her own with the company "crazy, crap," without my intervention?? But ...she does not?? So sigh, I say, Bella "Place," and point to the couch and that is the end of the "Crazy!" :)

Anyway ... I am not dissing Training and Exercise, just saying adding "Place," to "Training," with every dog is a "Good Idea." :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yeah, I consider "Place" part of training. Which really could be anything. Its just a spot for the dog to go to relax. I actually have a "place" indoors and a "place" outdoors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The biggest toy for our Lily is ME!! She just loves to play, walk and just spend her time with me. And I love it as much as she does!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts