Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am bringing home pup in 12 days and I'm so excited! I just have never had a puppy of my own before now so I was wondering what kinds of things I need to do to prepare the house? The best toys for a boxer pup?  The best kind of crate?  The best kind of food, how often to feed, how much to feed?  Just basically anything I need to know to bring home new pup! It was different bringing Boz home because he was an adult and pre-trained.  I know that Boz needs to meet the pup away from home on neutral territory and then bring them home together.  I'm so excited! Only 12 more days and so much to do!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2652

The post above from Willow is pretty good.  Also I recommend a crate in a large size that comes with a divider.  This way as the new pup grows so does its space in the crate.   I feed pups three times a day and then around 6-9 months go to two meals.   Start with food from the breeder and then wean onto whatever food you are going to want to feed.  Just monitor the protein count - I would not go above 28% in a pup's food.  Oh, get a can of paitents and a side of sleep - you'll need it:)

Godo Luck bringing you new addtion home!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks! That post was really really helpful!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Time will fly and he will be here before you know it.

G

·
0 Posts
how exciting!  When I was counting down for Jetta...I was torn between counting for the pup and for the wedding (we got married Sept 8, got Jetta the 9th, lol)  I remember how excited I was and how hard it was to wait for her to come home.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote="aquagirl900\";p=\"87545":39fy3u5m]how exciting!

·
Registered
693 Posts
We introduced Blitzen to Donner right here at the house and everything went absolutely wonderful. Donner drooled like crazy and tried humping her the first night. The drool was just stress and the humping was a dominance thing. After the first night all was O.K. They are the best of buds now. We introduced the crate a couple of weeks before we got the pup so Donner wasn't so overwhelmed.
 :dance:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a really good idea. I'll for sure introduce the crate to him tomorrow.  Thanks for the help! Here's a question where can I find a crate that has a divider?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Are there any suggested brands or anything?

G

·
0 Posts
check on craigslist...a lot of them show up there...ebay you can find them cheap too sometimes...if all else fails, walmart has em for like $60 with a divider

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll look at that for sure, thanks so much. We have a crate for Boz but we got it second hand so I don't even know if it had a divider.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Congrats on new puppy and getting married!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What size fits a boxer boy the best?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Crate?  I got Oscar a puppy crate, and I have a medium and a large crate.  He gets to grow into each one like a hermit crab.  You don't want them to big for the dog.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Definantly not too big, that would cause huge potty training problems him but a divider would work really well to not have to buy 3 different sizes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts