Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the Vet with Fredo. He's 33 pounds at 4 months. The vet seems to think he's going to be huge. Does anyone have any experience with determining size? I don't really care how big he gets, he's so adorable and such a big mush not matter what.

·
Registered
942 Posts
8O  Wow, he weighs as much as my two year old and 1/2 as much as my 4 year old. :lol: I'd say he's going to be a big boy.  :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well Reese is 30lbs at 8 months, but she is female. I would say he is going to be a big boy, Reese once she fills out is going to be big for a girl-she still has about a year to year and a half to keep growing

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Wow hes going to be big!! My new boy is just about 5 months and he weighs 45 lbs!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow, Well this is going to sound crazy bc my boy at 6mo. old was 60lbs.  My Vet couldnt believe it, and he is not overweight at all i keep him on a strict diet.  But he is now 8mo. old and is im guessing about 66lbs its been a mo. since he was weighed at the vet.  But I will be going on the 30th of this mo. to weight him.  I take him in every mo. to keep track of his weight.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
He does sound like he might be a big boy, but then again, he also could start to level off as well...Hard to say at that age..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hmmm...I had no idea that was big...both of ours were 33 & 35 at 4 months...they are 5 months old today and weigh in at 40 and 44(Indy is a bit heavier this time)  I just thought that was pretty normal...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I can't remember right now what Ziggi weighed at that age but I know that his FEET were a dead give away at how big he was going to be.  The vet took one look at him and said "boy is he going to be a big guy!"!  8O   His feet were the same size as Teaki (then 5 years) when he was just over 2 months old.  He is now just over 90lbs and he seems like a horse compared to our Teak who is just about normal size.  So I would check the feet too but if you don't have another boxer in your home to compare them to that might not work!  :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sadie is 55lbs. or so at 6 months.  Charlie was about 35lbs. at 4 months.  Charlie is the tallest boxer I've ever seen though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Logan is 22lbs at 11 weeks. I talked to the vet and he said the best way to judge is take their weight at 4mo's and double it and that is a good guestamate.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Logan\";p=\"34879 said:
Logan is 22lbs at 11 weeks. I talked to the vet and he said the best way to judge is take their weight at 4mo's and double it and that is a good guestamate.
So that would be 66lbs that's pretty normal.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Wow...that would make Mic and INdy around 80#'s at full size...it will be interesting to see if they are...I guess it wouldn't be a surprise...their brother from the last litter was 80#'s at a year old! It's fun wondering! :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jaxon was 22 pounds at his appointment 3 weeks ago.  He's 17 weeks today.  They've said he was bigger from the time he was 7 weeks, but I don't have much to compare him to at his age.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Granted I have girls, but Jazz weighs in at 75 lbs and Gretchen hovers between 65 & 70 lbs.  He could be a biggie   :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the opinions.  We just had another checkup last night and we are now officially allowed to go out into the world. I'm very excited and I can't wait to be able to start running with him. I am concerned however, b/c he seems to have this hacking almost out of breath thing going on every time he runs around a little. Is this normal? The vet didn't seem concerned, but this is my baby and I'm paranoid. We started using the gentle leader too, it's starting to work a little,but he is still pulling. As soon as I figure out how, I'll post some pics of my big guy fredo. (Mommy and Daddy love the godfather) haha

·
Registered
942 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to take boxers for long runs until 18 months...I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
CrazieKC\";p=\"35800 said:
I thought I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to take boxers for long runs until 18 months...I could be wrong though.

Yup, any strenous activity that will work the bones and such needs to be saved til they are about 18 mos...Only walks for now and the rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age...A 3 month old would equal a 15 min walk......

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much for the info! I'm just happy to be able to start taking him out at all..I know he can't start running yet. we have a big outing at pet smart planned for the weekend! haha

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I wanted to run with Ringer at first and was warned against it.  I think of the time I am waiting to start running as time I can spend teaching him to not walk in front of me and stop while I'm in mid stride.   b-(   I can only imagine the damage I would incur if we were running and he did that crap.  So, spend the time teaching Fredo how to walk properly while you are waiting.

G

·
0 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why no running and stuff at the young age?  She seems to want to run all the time...is running bad?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts