Hi

I have bought a pup from Big Mac and am having issues on the pup we were sold

I would like to know if anyone else has had issues as well

Please PM me so we can chat

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
:(

No issues, I don't know that breeder, but this is sad to hear, hopefully it gets sorted out and your pup is ok.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I came really close to buying a puppy from her. Was communicating back and forth with her for awhile. Hope all turns out for you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Sorry for the delay but had some medical issues

We exchanged sever emails with her about her pups and when she gave me her prices I told her thanks but it was a little more than I could afford. She wrote me back and said that since I had shown interest for some time, she would reduce her price.

I filled out her form and she said she had a litter and would let me know what would match us after testing. After many weeks she said that she had a pup for us and sent me pics. I commented that the pup seemed small and she confirmed she was 1.5 lbs smaller than her litter mates but assured me that genetics are genetics and the pup would catch up.

After more conversation it became clear that we were getting the runt and basicly what was left because she discounted the price. It had nothing to do with her "testing" or our request. We told her we needed a pup with as open nasal airway as possible as we will be living in Central America part time and it is HOT AND HUMID. We also wanted a dog that would be alert to strangers ( not completely passive) as her testing should show

What we got was a pup whose nose is so tight you can hear breath across the room, underweight as she barely eats ( I have tried everything, multiple foods, wet, etc), and is scared of everything and anything.

The pup now 6 mo old is a sweet girl but I not what we wanted or ask for and leaves us in a bad situation. We do not want to re home her but she will not be a fit for our family especially when we are in Central America. I fear the heat will be to hard on her.

I wrote Big Mac several times and all I got in reply was to hire a trainer. She has offered no assistance and this has left us in a terrible situation

Mark

·
Registered
282 Posts
:( I've never gotten a dog from a breeder so unfortunately I don't know how to help you. Hopefully something is figured out. So sorry you and your girl are going through this.

·
Banned
36 Posts
First of all you have to get your puppy to a vet.Mine for example is a male 67 days old and weighs only 9.2lbs...but the vet says he is ok if he will be gaining weight! It's sad that her assistance was poor but again, take it to a pro in order to get a valid opinion.Keep us informed in order to help you, if we can!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all you have to get your puppy to a vet.Mine for example is a male 67 days old and weighs only 9.2lbs...but the vet says he is ok if he will be gaining weight! It's sad that her assistance was poor but again, take it to a pro in order to get a valid opinion.Keep us informed in order to help you, if we can!
We have taken her to the vet several times and the vet says she is healthy.... She is nearing 6 mo old now and I am afraid that she is missing out during this time when she should be growing....

Mark

·
Banned
36 Posts
Do you know her weight? I have no experience, i'm a novice but there are experienced guys here that can help if you give more info about your puppy.Maybe a photo too.Also if you don't trust this vet get her to another one and take a second opinion

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Mark,
Sorry you do not feel satisfied with your pup. I don't know this breeder. If your pup is only 6 months old she still has lots of growing time. From what I am learning on this forum she will continue to fill out for her first two years. She is a boxer and they have short snouts, snore, do not tolerate extreme heat or cold, which is why they should be kept indoors.
How much does your girl weigh? Can you post pictures? Maybe someone else will have some ideas of putting weight on her but really its good on their bone development to not be too heavy while growing. Our pup is not a big eater. He eats 3 cups of kibble a day, sometime a bit more or bit less. He doesn't look heavy but I am guessing he is in the 32-35 lbs range now at 21 weeks. We will get him weighed later this week.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What are you feeding? And also as Lindar51 stated boxers do tend to fill out over a couple of years. Mya finally filled out (though she still isn't big) around 1 1/2-2 or so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you feeding? And also as Lindar51 stated boxers do tend to fill out over a couple of years. Mya finally filled out (though she still isn't big) around 1 1/2-2 or so.
right now she is on Blue wilderness puppy mixed with some wet food

Mark

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Pinched nasal snares are actually more common than you would think in our breed. You can have surgery done to help open them up if it seems to be an issue. How much socializing and training have you done with her? Was she timid, scared and shy when you first got her or has this developed over time?

I am sad that you are considering rehoming her. She is only 6 months old and with proper daily socializing she can come right out of her shell and get plenty of confidence.

Puppies are product of their environments. I agree that the first 8-9 weeks with a breeder are very important and a good breeder will handle the puppies daily and expose them to many new textures, sights and sounds. However, once they are in their new homes it is equally as important for the owner to continue with this.

There is nothing wrong with a runt puppy. They are genetically the same as their littermates and usually will catch up by 2 yrs of age. What are you feeding her, how many food changes have you done? This breed is famous for becoming picky eaters and it's usually caused from their owners catering to them when they turn their noses up at a meal or two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have done 6 changes and she is on blue wilderness puppy ..

She was timid when we got her at 12 weeks and has gotten no better.. We have socialized her the best we can.. Walks, visits, kids, pet shop visits, grooming, puppy school, and playtime. Not sure what more we could do

Her issue is noises. It is almos impossible to get her to got out to potty because a car may start, a horn go off three blocks away, or a plane fly over.. She tucks tail and runs

We do not want to re home her as she is a sweet dog. Our problem is now we are faced with getting another dog to do what we hoped this girl would do

Mark

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am in no way an expert just someone who has done a lot of research and has lots of animal loving friends with all sorts of experiences with dogs. When she acts fearful of something what is your reaction? Are you tense or nervous, do you anticipate her fearful reaction, do you try to comfort her?? Etc. A dog that is truly fearful will need your help to overcome it. One good way is to desensitize her to those objects. For instance you said she is afraid of cars starting. So everyday work with her. Park you car a few houses down and start it. She may freak out but wait for her to calm down and truly relax. You could even help her to relax by having her lay down. (You will want to look up dog posture when relaxed) praise her when she is relaxed. Start the car over and over until she relaxes faster each time. Move the car closer and repeat until you are able to start the car right next to her. It's important that through all of this you stay calm but assertive and do not praise or comfort for ANY fearful behavior. Even a slight touch will reinforce the negative behavior. Your state of mind can make a huge difference in how she reacts to things.

You could also try playing with her or having her do some tricks around the fearful object or situation so that she starts to associate those things with happy times and her focus isn't on what she is scared of.

You may also need to consult a dog behaviorist to better help you. They will be able to show you exactly when she starts showing signs of fear and relaxation etc. I hope it all works out for you and your girl and family. Good luck and keep us updated

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
At 6 months of age Duke was afraid of garbage bags and blowing leaves. I'm not saying it's more than that with your girl, it very well may be, but at 6 months of age she hasn't yet developed confidence. Hopefully she will outgrow it as her confidence increases. However, if in 2-3 months you don't see some improvement, I would definitely hire a behavioural trainer to help you. She may never be a "guard" dog but at least you will be able to help her be more relaxed.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
LOL Kai is no guard dog, not yet anyway but whenever he meets a stranger in the street or coming into our home he curls up like a kidney bean, wags that nub of a tail like crazy and will lick you to death. I love that in him. He is only 4 1/2 months but when people see us walking they back up a little first to ask if he is friendly. I wouldn't want it any other way . And funny thing people always want to come right up to my chihuahuas and pet them and one will be very happy to take your fingers for a treat. Go figure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts