Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lola has had what appears to be a scar on her leg for about a month now.  It's about the size of a quarter and it's red around the outside and scabbing over the rest of it.  I don't remember her cutting herself there, but of course that doesn't mean she didn't.  I've been cleaning it everyday and putting neosporin on it.  I even tried wrapping it, but she kept tearing it off.  I've noticed blood on her blankets a few times, and I've found blood on our comforter and the couch.  So it's not healing and keeps breaking open, she may be scratching at it.  My bf brought her to the vet because he was in the area, but they wouldn't look at it without an appointment, when he went to make one the girl at the desk said it looked like a scar and he should give it more time, so the vet never saw her.  It's been 2 weeks since.  Is it time to make an appointment or it there anything else I can try first?  Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would  definitly make an appointment just to be on the safe side. My friend has a golden retiever, Butter gets sores due to allergies. My friend has cream she puts on Butter to help with the healing but also has a bad taste to it to stop Butter from licking. You could also try a Petco or Petsmart, they may  have some type of ointment to deter licking or an anti itch cream. Good luck, let me know how Lola's doing.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Could it have been from a tick?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kiahsmom\";p=\"57762 said:
Could it have been from a tick?
That's what my aunt thought it was, then she saw it and said it was too big to be that.  We put alcohol on it to see it we could draw the tick out and nothing happend.  I just made an appointment for 1:15pm today so I'll let you know what I find out!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Let us know how everything goes! I hope its not something major. Lots of big boxer hugs and wooo-wooos from Harley

·
Registered
21 Posts
Otis had a mass cell tumor. He had the surgery, got it removed, and was better then ever in no time. I know how you feel having to wait for results and stuff like that. He had it on the back of his leg and all we put on it was some gauze and then wrapped it with a sock that we cut the feet out of so he couldnt like it. At first tried to get it off...but once we cut the bottom off he was fine with it, i guess he didnt like the way a full sock felt.

Hope your baby is better in no time! good luck!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Big round scar on leg *Updated after Vet w/pics*

Almost forgot.....she weighs 57 pounds now!!! 3:-O

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MissKellyxox\";p=\"57826 said:
Otis had a mass cell tumor. He had the surgery, got it removed, and was better then ever in no time. I know how you feel having to wait for results and stuff like that. He had it on the back of his leg and all we put on it was some gauze and then wrapped it with a sock that we cut the feet out of so he couldnt like it. At first tried to get it off...but once we cut the bottom off he was fine with it, i guess he didnt like the way a full sock felt.

Hope your baby is better in no time! good luck!
Thanks for the sock tip!  Glad Otis is all recovered now!!  Did his look anything like the picture above?

·
Registered
21 Posts
His wasnt so red or tender looking. Otis' looked more like a raisin to be honest. You could tell his was a definite tumor. It grew in a few days. Im sure they told you this already, but if it is a tumor there are different grades, and they are very very common in boxers. But I so hope it is nothing serious! Best of luck! Try not to worry!

Oh and I see you are from boston, im from RI. I assume you are a sox fan too????

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
{{{Positive and healing vibes}}} being sent from me and Miss Maddie! I hope it goes away real quick!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I hope the pills and ointment take care of it and it is not a tumor.  Get better quick, Lola.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Lola, Alicia, it's always something with that girl.....Sending tons of healing vibes your way and also prayers that it's just an infection.....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
To me it looks like a pressure point that got a skin infection.....It is kind of hard to tell by the angle of the picture but it looks to be to the side and below her tibia (for lack of a better way to explain her elbow) So it is possible that is a pressure point for her and the skin gets hard and forms a callous type thing....Hopefully the meds will take care of it  :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for the well wishes for Lola!  

Question: She WILL NOT keep the sock on.  I've tried taping it and she rips that off too.  Any suggestions or other ways to keep it covered?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I remember my vet saying to me that if the sock didnt work, then otis had to use a cone. You might have to try that just so it heals right. Or maybe when you are home you can watch her, and correct her when she tries to lick it.

I know Oatie and the cone were never friends, let me tell you. He would bang into walls and he would get so confused. He seemed to keep his head down when he had to wear it, for some reason he never wanted to look up.

We also gave him a biiiig bone just to distract him, and he chewed that for hours.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts