Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.  I may be crazy but....

We've been fighting what we think is an allergy issue with Gino.  He was at the vet and put on a few meds.  One to clear up the gashes on his lips from scratching so hard, and one for a mite they found from doing a scraping of his chest.  We've had to switch his Blue Buffalo food to IVD, which he pretty much refuses to eat.  This has led to him losing some weight.  Lately he's been rubbing his butt along the rug all the time.  We also noticed it's really sore and a tad bloody.  About 20 minutes ago I took him for a walk.  He pooped.  He then had a bit hanging from his behind that he couldn't get off.  I eventually grabed it with the bag and couldn't believe what I was pulling out.  It kept going and going.  It was about 5-6...a worm!!!  How in the heck is that possible???  Could this be the cause of all his issues?  Scratching, not eating, smell, etc...?

If anyone knows anything about this or has ever seen this before please share with me.

We're a bit freaked out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ok...not a thread you want to check out when you're eating. Sounds like you better get a vet appointment. didn't they do a fecal test for worms?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL....sorry.  5-6 inches.  If feet id have passed out.
I honestly couldn't tell if it was white.  Dark out and had stuff on it.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Roundworms look like spaghetti, so if that is what you are describing, that is probably what it is. I think a vet check is a good idea. They will lose weight when infected too, so it does sound like roundworm to me.

·
Registered
880 Posts
A lot of puppies have worms even though the breeder "dewormed" them.  Oscar had a bunch more come out when the vet gave him deworming with his puppy shots.  They were long and white- gross

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Ohhh gross...I couldn't imagine being in your position and pulling that out...pulling out long grass was bad enough for me!
I would definatly head to the vet!
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
880 Posts
smack83\";p=\"89150 said:
Ohhh gross...I couldn't imagine being in your position and pulling that out...pulling out long grass was bad enough for me!
Let us know how it goes.
Nothing is worse than a dangler somehow Jetta eats my hair and she'll have 3 ft long hairs dangling out...  TMI?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
JettaAndOscar\";p=\"89157 said:
[quote="smack83\";p=\"89150":2fokaima]Ohhh gross...I couldn't imagine being in your position and pulling that out...pulling out long grass was bad enough for me!
Let us know how it goes.
Nothing is worse than a dangler somehow Jetta eats my hair and she'll have 3 ft long hairs dangling out...  TMI?[/quote:2fokaima]

Maple eats my hair too! it's very strange, but she does on a daily basis likes to pretend that she is the vacuum  8O

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
[quote="smack83\";p=\"89150":28cfnk3q]Ohhh gross...I couldn't imagine being in your position and pulling that out...pulling out long grass was bad enough for me!
Let us know how it goes.
Nothing is worse than a dangler somehow Jetta eats my hair and she'll have 3 ft long hairs dangling out...  TMI?[/quote:28cfnk3q]

funny I was thinking about when that happened to chyna, then I read your post. Guess it happens to everyone. lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
LOL that happend to britney as well. My wifes hair is on the floor seems to be everywhere eventhough we clean like mad but britney had a dangler and I was like  8O  what is that..and I figured it was hair!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Sorry, LOL We quit having tinsel on our Christmas trees the year I had to remove a piece from the cat   :lol: About the worm, maybe you should bag it and take it to the vet with you? Gross I know, but might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This happened to Harleigh the day after she got wormed. They said it was normal as long as it was dead and as far as I could tell it was. However, I didnt have to pull it out of her behind....I may have tossed chunks if I had to do that. I am not looking forward to the day to have to pull anything out of her butt like grass or hair. Gag me!

·
Registered
942 Posts
[quote="smack83\";p=\"89150":2ciav7fr]Ohhh gross...I couldn't imagine being in your position and pulling that out...pulling out long grass was bad enough for me!
Let us know how it goes.
Nothing is worse than a dangler somehow Jetta eats my hair and she'll have 3 ft long hairs dangling out...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'll share my freaked out story regarding tapeworms.  Something was off with this rescue pup.  He'd been dewormed, treated for giardia, pneumonia and was on Revolution.  Most recent fecal test was normal.  There was what looked like white rice in the poop, not hungry and dragging his butt.  Finally I took some to the vets and they said it was a tapeworm and coccidea.  I hear tapes will only show up 30% of the time on a fecal.  He got one pill that got rid of the tape.  I was afraid there would be these big crawly things wandering the house after treatment.  Husband being out of town didn't help.  Nothing came out of his butt thank goodness.  It was all shed in the stool outside, and he felt better in a couple days.  The vet said the eggs just die quickly if they are dropped in the house.

It was much less traumatic than I imagined.  Good that the darned thing showed itself so you can get rid of it quickly.  Yuk

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I will first say that I am sorry you are having a worm issue and then follow that by saying this whole thread has made me laugh!!!!  It is so common for them to have hair, strings and other things that makes pulling poop out of the backside needed.......

It also sounds to me like a roundworm....It could be a tapeworm also.  You generally see segments on tapeworms (rice like), but those are breaking off of a larger worm and sometimes they will pass the larger ones.  Either way...it is timed to get worm medicine!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts