Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched and I cannot find a boxer bigger than mine. His name is Tyson and he has weighed as much as 125lbs. He is about 118 currently! He is a AKC registered pure bred boxer.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Beefy! Great looking dog.

I don't know if you'll find many "American" boxers out there as big as that, but I know the "European" boxers can tip the scales north of 100lbs.

My boxers are still just pups, but I highly doubt they'll get anywhere close to the size of yours.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That's a big boy! Do you have any pictures of his whole body that you can post?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not at all, he really is that big!! Hes 8, getting old and boxers have some health issues anyway. I need to start running with him and keep him in shape. I let him roam during the day and he comes in at night to sleep in the house lol.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am going to be rather unpopular here. BUT your boy is to big. The boxer is a medium breed dog and north american lines males should only weigh around 60-70lbs. Some lines in europe do run heavier.
Unfortunately from your pictures your dog looks to be obese. Their should be a visable waist tuck and the last 2-3 ribs showing.
By carrying that extra weight your boy has unnecaissary stress on hi joints and heart which is something we already problems with in our breed.
I am sure you love your boy very much but I highly reccomend reducing his food and start him on a regular exercise program and get him down closer to 80lbs atleast!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
He is overweight and he is getting older. If he loses a few pounds it will make things easier on his aging joints.

Do you have him on a senior's food? If not, maybe you should consider switching him over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is overweight now, 2 years ago he was solid muscle and weighed 120. He is tall and long. He is much bigger by size than any other boxer. I know the recommended weight for a boxer and he is a freak of nature. The picture of him in the pool was taken a few days ago. He is getting old and gaining some extra fat. I can give you height and length measurements since you think my dog is just fat. Ask before you call someones baby fat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have him on some healthy dog food but not senior food. He also has some kind of growth on his eyeball now that is causing leakage. I'm sure I will have to get surgery to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Welcome from NJ :)

Tyson is definitely a big boy.
Better to have the growth looked at sooner rather than later. Hope it turns out to be benign.

If you think he's overweight, it would benefit him to lose the excess. I know hard to do when they stare at you like they're starving.

:)

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I have him on some healthy dog food but not senior food. He also has some kind of growth on his eyeball now that is causing leakage. I'm sure I will have to get surgery to remove it.
You should think about switching him over to senior food - it has less calories and should allow him to get to a healthier weight. What are you currently feeding and how much?

As for his eyeball, I would definitely get that looked at by a vet.

·
Super Moderator
7,031 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Morgan 100%... Your boy still might be large but should probably weigh no more than 85lbs once you get that weight off of him.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Hmm, well there are Over Size GSD's! I have one 112 lbs down from 118 and I saw a an OS Dobbie at the vets 113 lbs!! That dog was huge! But he was trim just big as is Rocky my GSD!

So I would suppose there are OS Boxers, just not very common! Rocky got up to 125 lbs once and I freaked out! !Diet time,after that he was back down to 116 lbs then he got up to 118, freak out time again! I cut back his food to 0ne cup of Kibble, 1/4 can of wet and still gets treats and now he's at 112 lbs! :)

I don't see how you could possibly get him down to 88 lbs?? He's is a big dog but 125 is to much! Most likely 116 or a bit less is doable and realistic! Cut back the kibble to a cup a day and add the 1/4 can of wet food and watch the amount of treats, if you use dog biscuits, use the smaller ones, not tiny but not the big ones either!

One cup of kibble at each meal and take him in for a weight in 4 to 6 weeks. He won't starve and getting some weight of will be good for him in the long run! :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts