Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do have a boxer that is 98lb he is 8 years old and he gain about 5 lb lately
He has been 90-93lb all of his adult life. He was always bigger then other boxers I have seen but not overweight. I guess there are bigger muscle boxers but they all need to have a waist.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Mason was a steady 75 for 3yrs and then packed on 10 lbs, we tested his tyriod,, now on meds but only dropped 4 pounds, he is 4....he was a stocly boy.
good luck with your big guy...

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Generally speaking with the OS dogs, I tend to think getting them where they were at 3 years old is a good idea.

Dropping the extra weigh is usually not that hard to do but trying to get a true OS dog down to breed standards seems kinda insane to me. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0296.jpg We too have a large boy he is in the mid 70's at 15 months. We have been watching his weight for a while now, although the vet says he is growing fine.

Anyone have a pup with a tongue like this? Looks like he is carrying a ham out of the side of his mouth.LOL

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
View attachment 106129

View attachment 106137

View attachment 106145

View attachment 106153

View attachment 106161 We too have a large boy he is in the mid 70's at 15 months. We have been watching his weight for a while now, although the vet says he is growing fine.

Anyone have a pup with a tongue like this? Looks like he is carrying a ham out of the side of his mouth.LOL
He is a very handsome boy but he's not an OS Boxer, he sounds like he is right on target and will probably hit at least 88 lbs. Maybe as much as 95???

Struddel dad was "said" to be 95 lbs and was flashy, he was built just like that! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Judging by the pics, I'm going to have to join the unpopular club and voice concern of his health. He definitely looks obese. Nobody used the word "fat". Obese is a medical term that means very overweight. There should definitely be some definition from the bottom of his rib cage to his back legs and there isn't.

I would definitely take the advise of others and try to reduce his weight to ease all the extra weight from his joints. Being overweight will only add to any other senior health issues. Best of luck to you and your boy

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Yep look at Biggfeets dog. In general that's the typical shape you should see in a Boxer. Struddell was 65 lbs and was build just like that, she looked tiny next to a Euro/American male but I have seen some American line Boxers that were not to much bigger than her, all the males are taller than the females it seems??

Try and get him closer to 100 lbs, it'll be better for him in the long run! And as a general rule of thumb folks should not be calling peoples dogs "fat" it's bad form!

Just saying. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Generally speaking with the OS dogs, I tend to think getting them where they were at 3 years old is a good idea.

Dropping the extra weigh is usually not that hard to do but trying to get a true OS dog down to breed standards seems kinda insane to me.
I agree and while this dog may truly be an oversized Boxer, the fact that he has too much weight on him cannot be disputed as he does not have the typical shape of a healthy weight Boxer. I still didn't see the word "fat" used by anyone. Nobody was rude in their delivery:grinning:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I agree and while this dog may truly be an oversized Boxer, the fact that he has too much weight on him cannot be disputed as he does not have the typical shape of a healthy weight Boxer. I still didn't see the word "fat" used by anyone. Nobody was rude in their delivery:grinning:
Hmm maybe I misspoke?? I thought I saw the OP kinda ticked at someone??

Hence I chimed in. OS WL GSD so I tend to be kinda touchy myself. :) You won't believe the heat OS dogs generate on the GSD forum! Lots of name calling and closed threads, to be had!

88 lbs is about spec for males in them also, 90 to 118 lbs is typically an OS GSD, 120+ most likely a King Shepard! Those guys "look" like GSD's but are not, GSD's! Really with a King, you needed a DNA test to confirm, the dog, that's what ticks people off! Malamute and Great Pyrenees were bred in to get maximum size and a less..."intense" demeanor, the back bred to get the GSD "look!" I support them myself not everyone wants needs or can deal with a "real" GSD! Kinda puts me with the outliers at times :)

I saw a 113 lb Dobbie at the vet office!!! Sweet dog but yeah it was hugh!! Most likely, all Breeds have OS dogs just don't see them all that often?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmm maybe I misspoke?? I thought I saw the OP kinda ticked at someone??

Hence I chimed in. OS WL GSD so I tend to be kinda touchy myself.
Yep! Op did get upset and use the word "fat" but nobody else did:grinning:

I would want to know (someone to tell me) if my dog was overweight or underweight so that I could try to remedy the situation for optimal health. I definitely would not get offended.

No offense was intended by anyone and I hope the OP will be back.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
124lbs, is seriously huge for a Boxer??? 85 lb's is the normal spec for a male Boxer I think?? So 90 to 95 lbs would account for Over Sized Dog's?? But 124 would be well out side of the norm?? I looked at the latest AKC spec's for Working Line GSD's, and sure enough to the fear of purest,"max spec," is no longer 88 lbs??? ? Now it's 90 to 95 lbs, they WL GSD's are getting larger?? And that is why the US Military (in party) dumped them and switched to Malinos! 75 lb's I belive is the max weight allowed. The USAF has it's own breeding program for Military Dog's ... they got tired of screwing around with Wl GSD's so the Military has ditched them. Mal's only and we will breed our own! Which is to say due to p[public taste "apparently," some breed's have gotten bigger??

But hey that's just background info. But your guy ... well I don't really see it that much in the face?? But to be that big ... he has to be mostly Euro?? And that mean's he will never have the "tiny waist," of an American Line Boxer, ... that's just never gonna happen! But that much said if he is not "over weight??" In profile there should be at least a slight upward taper from his chest to his waist?? If it's just a straight line from the bottom of his chest to his waist?? He is "over weight."

The larger the dog ... the shorter there life span. And Boxer's are not larger dog's ... still if you can mange 10 year's with a spec weight Boxer, your doing pretty good ... apparently.

But if he is "100" percent Boxer and he is 124 lb's?? Your most likely looking at 6 to 8 year's as a lifespan unless thing's change??? Trimming at least 12 to 14 lbs off him would be good for him in the long run. He'll still be a big boy but he won't be huge. Just my 2 cent's. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
He’s 100% pure boxer. Mom is American and only about 40 pounds. Dad is pictured in the photos above (brindle) and is German boxer, which are the biggest breed of boxer and he came from pure bred boxer parents. He is not over fed, as you can tell from his dad in the picture they are both fed the same amount of food twice a day. The vet also never mentioned him being overweight or unhealthy. He is a very active dog and we have him out running daily. He also does have the taper from chest to waist. Hes been fed the same dog food pretty much his whole life with a few exceptions here and there.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Aww, well I was not intending to rain on your parade?? I knew he had to be part Euro cuz of his size. And I did not say he was over fed?? I did say he was not to "spec," by size and I'll add a Vet would not know that?? Unless he also happens to own one and is a Boxer fan?? Conformation is not there "job."

At any rate enough of this. Welcome aboard and they are both great looking Boxer's.

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Your dogs are significantly over weight. Both of them. As a Euro breeder, I can tell you they are no where near those sizes. My boys are 75-80lbs tops. Do them both a favour and cut their food in half. Looking at their bone structure alone, I would aim to get him around 75lbs.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Gypsy is about 110lbs she is 3 years old and healthy
She is on Wellness low protein 3 cups a day. I put coconut oil on her kibble separately from her regular meals for treats. View attachment 135831
Hmm well it's pretty hard for owners, to see issues with there baby's! Especially the girl's! :)

But since you posted also ... the Brindle Male, who is that dog??? And if you look at that male ... who strikes me as pretty much perfect. And look at your girl ... I think the "differences," are fairly apparent???

And for the record ... if you are feeding her three cups of a low cal kibble a day?? Well she is certainly not being over fed! But I do think you need to make some changes.

She is gonna be an "Over Size Dog," for the breed anyway. But top of my head, she is carrying about 10 to 15 pound's to much weight??

Now I had a "true," Over Size Working Line GSD. Rocky was 113 lbs and spec at the time for males was 75 lbs?? But Rocky looked like the real deal ... just more of him! But at the time he was about 33 lbs out of spec???

But hey times change specs change and today ... spec for a male WL GSD is now 95 lbs!! That's a bit to much for the US military ... but not my point! My point would be "now," Rocky would have been ... not that far out of spec!

If I have not "offended you??" I got more. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
No offense at all, when I say healthy I mean that's what our vet says but who knows. I do realize that down the road she will have problems with her joints.
She does go out for walks every day but she should probably be running bit my mobility is limited.
I do realize that her being over weight is do to a lack of mobility.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
No offense at all, when I say healthy I mean that's what our vet says but who knows. I do realize that down the road she will have problems with her joints.
She does go out for walks every day but she should probably be running bit my mobility is limited.
I do realize that her being over weight is do to a lack of mobility.
Cool! :)

And your limited mobility is duly noted. But that's not critical to getting her in "better shape." And "Walking is important," Mostly if allowed to just (wander) not recommended of course! She could wander for hours and miles at a slow lope??? That would be great for weight control .. but not really practical??

The best form of exercise would be running free. But a lot of factors are involved in determining how practical that is for you?? First the Dog need's to have a "Solid Recall!!" That is alway's good advise ... my other dog's had that. But sigh my current Boxer/Pit, Bella yeah ... not so much??
I'm still working on it but because of where I live. I can get away with "Good Enough," in a "Distraction Environment. And in the Rural Area's of the high desert in there are lot's of distraction free area's to be found!

So she get's to do wind sprint's .... several times a week. I take her to "The Dog Bowl" we do a Sit and Stay at the car I call her and let her go! She always roam's to the far end of the Dog Bowl. And I call her back and she does come charging hard and fast!! I say "Good Dog," and repeat ... when she start's to slow down on the recall's (no longer a full sprint) we call it a day!

And she cover's way more ground in that smallish space than I do. But being able to do that depends on her recall and where you live??? Plan C,is a bit more involved and expensive ... unless you already own a tread mill??? If you do then it's simple; put her on a tread mill, for a couple session's a day.

SHe would have to be trained and I have not done it cuz I have no need or the space. And if you do ... I'm not really a fan of having a leash on a dog on a tread mill ... as bad crap can happen! But dog's can be trained to use a tread mill without being tied to it.

And if you do up her exercise ... you would need to change her food. The low cal stuff would no longer be sufficient. Her food would need to have more calories if she is burning more energy.

And three cup's of kibble a day for a dog that large is certainly not over feeding!! And if she is an Over Size Dog?? She is never gonna get down to 65 lbs which is spec for an AMerican Line Female Boxer.

That's what my Struddell weighted (Avatar) and I was stunned?? I would have swore she weighted 55 lb's?? But she did her day's chasing Jack Rabbits, in the High Desert of NV. And muscle does weigh more than fat! But every time ... I saw in comparison to a male Boxer??? The males always dwarfed herin stature. :)

So if your girl is close to as large as a male Boxer in stature (Height)?? She is simply not gonna be a 65 lbd'er! But shaving 10 lbs off her, should be "relatively easy??"

That would put her at 100 lbs, still a big girl. Ideally most likely she be in the 90 to 95 lbs range if she is close to as tall as the male's?? But hey I don't know?? I had an Over Size Workingline GSD ...113 lbs. And he did ballon up to 124 ... I freaked and got back down to 113!

And I saw an Over SIzed Dobbie, at the Vet office ...113 lbs??? And that dog was freaking hugh!!! But as was my Rocky at alos 113?? She did look exactly like she should ... just more of them. :)

Just my two cent's here as I don't know?? :)

21 - 40 of 58 Posts