Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do have a boxer that is 98lb he is 8 years old and he gain about 5 lb lately
He has been 90-93lb all of his adult life. He was always bigger then other boxers I have seen but not overweight. I guess there are bigger muscle boxers but they all need to have a waist.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Mason was a steady 75 for 3yrs and then packed on 10 lbs, we tested his tyriod,, now on meds but only dropped 4 pounds, he is 4....he was a stocly boy.
good luck with your big guy...

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Generally speaking with the OS dogs, I tend to think getting them where they were at 3 years old is a good idea.

Dropping the extra weigh is usually not that hard to do but trying to get a true OS dog down to breed standards seems kinda insane to me. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0296.jpg We too have a large boy he is in the mid 70's at 15 months. We have been watching his weight for a while now, although the vet says he is growing fine.

Anyone have a pup with a tongue like this? Looks like he is carrying a ham out of the side of his mouth.LOL

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
View attachment 106129

View attachment 106137

View attachment 106145

View attachment 106153

View attachment 106161 We too have a large boy he is in the mid 70's at 15 months. We have been watching his weight for a while now, although the vet says he is growing fine.

Anyone have a pup with a tongue like this? Looks like he is carrying a ham out of the side of his mouth.LOL
He is a very handsome boy but he's not an OS Boxer, he sounds like he is right on target and will probably hit at least 88 lbs. Maybe as much as 95???

Struddel dad was "said" to be 95 lbs and was flashy, he was built just like that! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Judging by the pics, I'm going to have to join the unpopular club and voice concern of his health. He definitely looks obese. Nobody used the word "fat". Obese is a medical term that means very overweight. There should definitely be some definition from the bottom of his rib cage to his back legs and there isn't.

I would definitely take the advise of others and try to reduce his weight to ease all the extra weight from his joints. Being overweight will only add to any other senior health issues. Best of luck to you and your boy

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Yep look at Biggfeets dog. In general that's the typical shape you should see in a Boxer. Struddell was 65 lbs and was build just like that, she looked tiny next to a Euro/American male but I have seen some American line Boxers that were not to much bigger than her, all the males are taller than the females it seems??

Try and get him closer to 100 lbs, it'll be better for him in the long run! And as a general rule of thumb folks should not be calling peoples dogs "fat" it's bad form!

Just saying. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Generally speaking with the OS dogs, I tend to think getting them where they were at 3 years old is a good idea.

Dropping the extra weigh is usually not that hard to do but trying to get a true OS dog down to breed standards seems kinda insane to me.
I agree and while this dog may truly be an oversized Boxer, the fact that he has too much weight on him cannot be disputed as he does not have the typical shape of a healthy weight Boxer. I still didn't see the word "fat" used by anyone. Nobody was rude in their delivery:grinning:

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I agree and while this dog may truly be an oversized Boxer, the fact that he has too much weight on him cannot be disputed as he does not have the typical shape of a healthy weight Boxer. I still didn't see the word "fat" used by anyone. Nobody was rude in their delivery:grinning:
Hmm maybe I misspoke?? I thought I saw the OP kinda ticked at someone??

Hence I chimed in. OS WL GSD so I tend to be kinda touchy myself. :) You won't believe the heat OS dogs generate on the GSD forum! Lots of name calling and closed threads, to be had!

88 lbs is about spec for males in them also, 90 to 118 lbs is typically an OS GSD, 120+ most likely a King Shepard! Those guys "look" like GSD's but are not, GSD's! Really with a King, you needed a DNA test to confirm, the dog, that's what ticks people off! Malamute and Great Pyrenees were bred in to get maximum size and a less..."intense" demeanor, the back bred to get the GSD "look!" I support them myself not everyone wants needs or can deal with a "real" GSD! Kinda puts me with the outliers at times :)

I saw a 113 lb Dobbie at the vet office!!! Sweet dog but yeah it was hugh!! Most likely, all Breeds have OS dogs just don't see them all that often?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmm maybe I misspoke?? I thought I saw the OP kinda ticked at someone??

Hence I chimed in. OS WL GSD so I tend to be kinda touchy myself.
Yep! Op did get upset and use the word "fat" but nobody else did:grinning:

I would want to know (someone to tell me) if my dog was overweight or underweight so that I could try to remedy the situation for optimal health. I definitely would not get offended.

No offense was intended by anyone and I hope the OP will be back.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts