Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have searched and searched and I cannot find a boxer bigger than mine. His name is Tyson and he has weighed as much as 125lbs. He is about 118 currently! He is a AKC registered pure bred boxer.
Wow, that's a big boy! My Crook is 98lbs himself. He sired a litter of pups that are all full grown now at 80-95lbs. I thought I had big boxers. ;);)

·
Registered
178 Posts
She does have good recall, i have learned that if I give her the sign for treat she comes running. So I vibrate her collar and sign treat and she comes but it makes me nervous to do it out side of our property. I'm afraid that what if that's the one time she doesn't listen and I can't call her.

I do have a treadmill and I've thought about that just not sure where to start.

She is taller then most boxers I've seen in my neighborhood.

I'm hoping we can get 10 to 20lbs off just to make things a bit easier.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
She does have good recall, i have learned that if I give her the sign for treat she comes running. So I vibrate her collar and sign treat and she comes but it makes me nervous to do it out side of our property. I'm afraid that what if that's the one time she doesn't listen and I can't call her.

I do have a treadmill and I've thought about that just not sure where to start.

She is taller then most boxers I've seen in my neighborhood.

I'm hoping we can get 10 to 20 lbs off just to make things a bit easier.
OK taller than most Boxer's mean's she is never gonna be a "lite weight." But shedding at least 10 pounds or so ... should be doable!

OK so E-Collar Trained (on vibrate mode) That's cool but you should not need to continue to use the treat's also ... to get her to recall. You need to start to wean her off the treat's ... sometimes she get's a treat on recall ... sometimes she does not. She'll figure it out. :)

And yes with recall ... you don't have a reliable recall until you can recall your dog ... under distraction! You have to "Proof," them. Under safe conditions so you will Know ... they will recall! My Struddell (Avatar) was as good as it got! She was my High Desert Jack Rabbit chasing Boxer!!

I could stop a chase with a "NO" and engage one with OK. 30 plus mph in the open desert! She was assume to watch but yeah in many years of chasing no bunny's were ever harmed. Sigh same old same old .. the bunny's would try and burn her off on the straight?? ANd that never worked she'd get closer and closer and then the bunny's would alway's cut hard right into the brush and then come back on the straight! And Struddell would track the hard right like a guided missile and then switch from site to scent??? And lose the trail ... everytime!! I would watch the Jack Rabbit. sail down the straight and off into the sunset ... everytime! Struddell ...never figured that trick out, Goofy dog. :)

My Bella on the other hand ... yeah "No!" I let her off leash in very select areas where most likely ... Bunny's are not?? Most certainly not on the open desert floor! Cuz she'd be gone!! I did lose her for 24 hour's when we first got her last year??? That was scary ... I thought she was out there in the desert alone and afraid dealing with coyotes?? ??

She went back to the Dollar General. Went inside and followed the first friendly stranger out and jumped in her car! So Bella was ... not as clueless as I thought she was?? We to her back the next day and she got a rave review for getting along with cat's (my work there) kid's and other dog's! And she got a new doggy coat out of the deal. And the only thing she learned, was that running away was lot's of fun ... stupid dog. But she is better these day's. :)

And for training recall and she is well ... Ok but certainly not great. I used for the first time ever the Dog Park! And I am not a fan but in the beginning, I needed somewhere I could let her off leash but still confined. Dayton is a small town and at our Dog Park ... I could go there when it would be Dog Free. I don't trust other people and there dog's?? So I could let her run at will and then call her back. If she did not come?? I'd keep walking and close the gate off on her and wait. When she showed up I'd let her in and we go to the next section. It worked ... and today even with her not so great "Recall," I go to safe distraction free area's (no bunny's ... so far!) And I let her run and I cal her back and she charges back hard and fast. So that worked ... but as say ...sigh no distractions, so yeah she is most certainly not "Proofed on recall.

But the "treadmill" and if you have one?? Well heck to get started here you go.:

And I'll add to you most likely this is just another YouTube Clip?? But to the inside crowd ...not so much. That's Tyler Muto .. well know in Dog World and he is one of the best of the best!

And at least on my page, I also there is Leerburg Treadmill link. Most likely that would be another good one to view. So with those ... you can at least gain an idea of what you do to train your dog to use a tread mill yourself! And if you do ... let us know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks so much h for all the input Chip,
It's definitely been a challenge for me the last 3 years.
I've never had a pet in my life and the first 1 I get is a deaf boxer...go figure
She is very rewarding though 😊

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Thanks so much h for all the input Chip,
It's definitely been a challenge for me the last 3 years.
I've never had a pet in my life and the first 1 I get is a deaf boxer...go figure
She is very rewarding though 😊
OMG ... she is deaf, you should have lead with that! That certainly put's a spin on the recall thing. So how does that work exactly?? You buzz her for, "Look at me and then a Hand Signal for recall?? She is your first dog/Boxer ... not the best to start with, they tend to be uh kinda goofy and pig headed ...especially the girl's. :)

Did you know she was deaf when you got her?? Where did she come from?? And who is the Brindle Male in your photo's???

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
OMG ... she is deaf, you should have lead with that! That certainly put's a spin on the recall thing. So how does that work exactly?? You buzz her for, "Look at me and then a Hand Signal for recall?? She is your first dog/Boxer ... not the best to start with, they tend to be uh kinda goofy and pig headed ...especially the girl's. :)

Did you know she was deaf when you got her?? Where did she come from?? And who is the Brindle Male in your photo's???
Chip, thats a different poster.;)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Chip, thats a different poster.;)
LOL is it?? On my system when I click on the White Boxer, the Brindle Male is included?? I don't know what's up with that ... but he's a handsume Dog! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know who the brindle is, thats the original poster.

Yes she was born deaf, we got her from my sister in law. Her dog was have litter so we got one. Gypsy kind of chose me. All the rest of the pups kept jumping out of my arms and Gypsy just snuggled in and went to sleep.
We got her on the recommendation of our doc for our daughter's anxiety disorder. I was very skeptical because as I said I've never had any kind of pet in my life.

No one knew she was deaf. We had her for 2 weeks when we realized it. She was getting startled all this time and typical this that freak dogs out eg. Sirens, fireworks, smoke detector never bothered her.

I called 6 trainers and they all told me to put her down and said "deaf dogs can't be trained, never mind a boxer at that"
Since I have a #! you attitude I started watching you tube videos (solid k9 training) and went from there.
She has become mainly my dog over the past 3 years because I think the kids and hubby were a little freaked out about her deffness at first. Hubby is great now, the kids not so much but I think its because the kids are older and they weren't young enough when we got her. They are 20 and 14
Funny thing is that she's been great for my anxiety and depression issues and also she gives me anxiety sometimes lol

She knows about 10 signs now. It helps that I already knew some sign language before we got her.

Yes when ever I have her out of the house or at night I have her vibrating collar on. I vibrate it for her to look at me then giver her the signal to come.

When we go for walks I make her sit when its time to cross the road and has to wait for me to signal that its ok to cross. I did it in hopes that if she ever got out she wouldn't get hit by a car cuz she won't go on the road unless I say its ok. ( I know its wishful thinking)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I don't know who the brindle is, thats the original poster.

Yes she was born deaf, we got her from my sister in law. Her dog was have litter so we got one. Gypsy kind of chose me. All the rest of the pups kept jumping out of my arms and Gypsy just snuggled in and went to sleep.
We got her on the recommendation of our doc for our daughter's anxiety disorder. I was very skeptical because as I said I've never had any kind of pet in my life.

No one knew she was deaf. We had her for 2 weeks when we realized it. She was getting startled all this time and typical this that freak dogs out eg. Sirens, fireworks, smoke detector never bothered her.

I called 6 trainers and they all told me to put her down and said "deaf dogs can't be trained, never mind a boxer at that"
Since I have a #! you attitude I started watching you tube videos (solid k9 training) and went from there.
She has become mainly my dog over the past 3 years because I think the kids and hubby were a little freaked out about her deffness at first. Hubby is great now, the kids not so much but I think its because the kids are older and they weren't young enough when we got her. They are 20 and 14
Funny thing is that she's been great for my anxiety and depression issues and also she gives me anxiety sometimes lol

She knows about 10 signs now. It helps that I already knew some sign language before we got her.

Yes when ever I have her out of the house or at night I have her vibrating collar on. I vibrate it for her to look at me then giver her the signal to come.
LOL well OK this is getting weird??? FIrst my Studdell ... when I went to get a puppy the guy had several Whites (long sad story behind that choice ...) But the males were all spoken for!

And that was when I kneeled down to look at the other pup's?? And that is when (to be Strudell) crawled out of the pile over to my lap and fell asleep??? And then mom came over and sat beside us! They never moved Stru never woke up??? And at that point my choice was "apparently made for me?? I'd never had a girl dog before?? ANd I wanted a Male and it "needed to be a White boxer!" So a girl it was no regret's:)

But Solid K9 Training ie Jeff Gellam?? OK ... first he is well know on here! Mostly because I shared his work on here and Germanshepardforum many years ago! Him and Leerburgh ... were my "Go To many years ago! I never had any Boxer "issue's." But my first Workingline GSD,yeah ... FIve Pack fight's with my Band Dog and sent me to the ER for stitches! And after that Human aggression???

I did not it was a problem???" But when had company over for the first time. I was sitting next him. ANd he started at "Company," like they were raw meat!! No one could tell but I felt a "low growl," in his chest and my blood ran cold!!!

OK "I" have a problem he was a most certainly not a "people loving Boxer!" But he was an amazing dog!! Long story but bottom line, after lot's of work ... he wound up saving me from a two loose dog encounter while I was protecting him!! Daddy slipped on the ice and went down! ROcky was behind while I deterred the first dog. But the other one kept coming!!

Well f, him's not getting to my dog!! So I braced for impact! But I slipped on the ice? At this point Rocky was still behind me ... pretty bored with it all?? Oh there Dad goes again?? Sigh we had to deal with this crap alot!

But Daddy down?? "Well I have not seen that before??" Perhaps I had ...make my presence known?? I heard a loud roar from behind me and saw nothing but flashing fang's WTH?? I was expecting a Belly full of teeth cuz I was still not done! But that last Dog at this ... just flat disappeared!!

We had been through a lot and I did not turn to forum's for addressing Pack Fighting Male's and Human Aggression issue's! People telling to me to "Find a Trainer!" Ould have ticked "Me," off!

I figured no one could fix my dog's issue's better than me! I just needed to figure out what to do?? So not being in a "Find a Trainer Mood," I just searched online and looked for "Trainer's" that posted online for "Dog/Human Aggression Issue's" and Solid K9 Training and Leerburgh showed up.

I blended the two ... worked out great!! Rocky turned out to be a "Great Dog!!" I lost him in 2015 three year's after losing my Struddell, and I miss both of them greatly. But most likely ROcky was greatest accomplishment cuz in his sigh short 10 years of life ... he never attacked anyone!

LOL and yeah ... I was a bit of an A-Hole to make that happen ie ... I ticked off Family, Friend's and Stranger's to keep people out of his face!! Yeah I cuzed a lot of hurt butt's at time ... but I did not care he was my charge and I took my job seriously ... there were only two people I would trust him to be alone with and my wife did one of those to my surprise?? WOrked out fine however. :)

Ugh long story (kinda my thing) but my question ... is how did you find SOlid K9 Training?? Zak George and Victory Stilwell among the most useless for dog's with"serious issues," are out there also?? How did you avoid them???
When we go for walks I make her sit when its time to cross the road and has to wait for me to signal that its ok to cross. I did it in hopes that if she ever got out she wouldn't get hit by a car cuz she won't go on the road unless I say its ok. ( I know its wishful thinking)
No that is not "wishful thinking! Some people Know how to train dog's to look out for cars! Those dog's are "Seeing Eye Dog's!" It is a "skill that can be learned and trained!" But "apparently," those that know.. how it's done?? Won't Say!??

All my dog's can would do the same as your's but if "I" chose to walk in front of a Bus ... they would do the same ... ie Dad must know what he's doing??? Ticks me off that "they won't say!"

Seeing Eye Dog People, know how to stop that!! But they "won't tell us!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your story is amazing. It just shows that its never to late.

I heard about Jeff from someone one here.

What I do is when we get to a road it...i make her sit, hold my hand open for stay and when it's time to cross i tapp her twine on her side and wave my pointer finger to signal its ok to go.
If she just up to go and won't sit just keep making her sit until she does and stays.
I always walk with her on my right side and I don't stop for people to pet her.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well 6 freaking "Trainer's" said put her down?? Well yeah that is crap!!! Your story is a bit different then mine ... but every bit just as impressive!

Out the gate ... I don't know if I would be willing to take on a "Deaf Boxer??" That is a pretty high level of responsibility to keep them safe???

I'm used to dog's that can "hear me." But you know they just don't care ... Boxer thing?? :)

And I get the walking on the Right side "always." Keep them away from traffic??? Rocky my PIA WL GSD could walk on either side on leash or ... no leash and he would lead or follow. Sigh ... with my new Pit/Boxer Bella, those days are gone but my GSD on leash ...when, I bothered ... he could walk on either side. For me it was determined by which side I felt a loose dog could come from??

If your dog is on the inside ...closer to homes, he is "safer from traffic," but closer to dog's brusting from inside there home's!! That is a thing ... one I have a "lot," to say about! Now why a Loose Dog," Now why a loose dog would think they were gonna take down a 113lb Wl GSD ... I have not idea??
But "none of them," figured on dealing with me!!! I have lots of experience with loose dog encounter's ... but that is another story and of course ... I have threads. :)

I get what you are saying about the "crossing the street bit." I think most of us to do something like that to some degree?? But what I want to know ... is what seeing eye dog's .. "know and do??" The owner/handler can't see traffic?? The dog knows what to look for me?? The dog "understand ... when it is safe to cross the street. How is that trained??? Only the "Dogs for the Blind People know," people know and they won't say!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gypsy is the same, more than likely she would hop out in front of a car if I did lol that would definitely be good to know how they do it, it would make all dos more safe.

Looking back now from when we got her all the signs were there that she was deaf and none of us recognized it.
My sister in law used to say that she was the most snuggly of them all and hated being alone. When she would fight with her siblings she wouldn't stop, they said it wouldn't matter if the others were yelping or not. Most of the time her and her sister were off on their own ( were pretty sure the sister is deaf too but no way to find out. They were the only white ones and both female)

I'm pretty sure if I knew I probably wouldn't have taken her but now I'm glad I had no clue.

Its definitely a challenge especially for my first.
You can't be lazy with a deaf one in the sense that you can't just holler at them to come or to get out of whatever their into, you constantly have to get up and go find them.

But for the most part they are just like normal dogs.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Yeah an owner can "train them" to wait my "Rocky," did not "need" a leash, if I stopped he stopped! Course if I stopped to talk to a "Stranger," and he was "off leash," he would turn, walk five feet away and lay down and wait for me to finish talking. As I said ... he did not care for strangers! :)

But he was not like that when I first got him?? Norm was a "send me to the ER, pack fighting monster ... when I first got him?? Much like your girl ... that my dog had an "issue," came later?? And at the time he was already "mine," and here??? Sooo what are you gonna do??

It take a pretty "hard heart," to abandon a dog that you have taken into your home??? The time to say "Yes or No," is before you get them home ... for most of us.

The "issues," are not always apparent out the gate?? But once we have had them in our homes for a few day's or more?? Well I did not plan on this crap?? But you know come ... "Hell or High Water," this is "My Dog!" Just saying ... you did girl by your girl! :)

I don't know that I would willing take on a "Deaf Dog," out the gate myself either?? That is a "huge" responsibility. All my dog's could hear me, although some (Bella!) might not gave a crap but that is another issue! At any rate ... you've done great!! :)

And your next dog ... should be much easier! And your current girl can help you train them ...if you chose. :)

I train with voice and hand signal's anyway. Mostly cuz way back when my Struddell, White Boxer , could hear, but you know pig headed and stubborn uh she did not care!! But with "Hand SIgnals and Verbal, she got it!! She was my Jack Rabbit chasing Open Desert Dog that I could stop or Engage ... with a "NO," or "OK!" :)

But the traffic thing?? Seeing Eye Dog Trainer's, "Know the deal!" Those dog's "know," to look for traffic!! And I want to know ... how is that done??? Those "dog's," know what to look for?? ANd I would like to know how "Traffic awareness, for Dog's is done??"

If JQP takes their average well trained dog, put's a blindfold on themselves and try's to cross a street with traffic??? I'm pretty sure that is not gonna end well??

Aww well "that" and how it is done?? Is just a pet peeve of mine?? Yeah a slight tangent here ... my bad?? :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
It all good,
Thank you for your kind words.
I used to be one of those people who said "a pet can't change you that much" I was so wrong...she has completely change my life.

We went on vacation to the Florida keys for Christmas (before all this shit started) we drove down in our RV from Toronto Canada and stayed at a beach front site. I was so nervous going into it thinking she was going to be a nightmare and again I was so wrong.
There were people constantly walking past our site and I expected that my little protector to being loosing her shit and freaking out on everyone and all she did was sit in her chair and watch and surprisingly without her leash most to the time. (I attached a picture below)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well glad you had a good trip and, you know got out of the US before all Hell Broke Loose! That would have been just, Covin 19 at that time ..

But what she did?? That is actually a "thing!" Teaching a dog to "Chill," is actually a "thing." It does not come natural to dog's. It was how I was able to allow guest into our house with Rocky still in the room.

I would tell him "Place, "and it was then my job to keep people (company out of his face.) I never said a word but ... my face pretty much said ... "Don't even thing about asking to touch him!" That caused some hurt butt's over the year's but Rocky was good with it. But it kept him from biting and people around him safe! Daddy has my back and I found out later he had mine?? So "We," did good he never attacked anyone in his 10 year's of life with me so ... Job Well done. Working line GSD and a "Foster," fail. Quite a change from my "people Luv'ing Struddell, that felt every guest came to see her! And yep a few of them did just that! :)

But what you've done and what your dog did at the Beach?? That is "actually" a "Big Deal!" TO explain it and how it's done and why take's this. : Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD

But long story short ... and something I noticed slowly over time finding Trainer's online that show there work. Was that all of them that were successful in rehabbing dog's "All," trained the Place Command regardless of the "Dog's Issue's." A rather long way of saying ...yet again, you've done Good! :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
LOL well ... you've earned the compliment's!! All I've done is explained why what you've done has worked out so well! I solved my first WL GSD's packing fighting, send you to the ER for stichies, and after that ... "yeah I don't much for people either!" Seemingly without "conflict or issue's??" No big Deal but you know ... how exactly had I done that??

I had no idea and thus began my "online search for answer's as to what I had done??" I had sta on my success for year's. And became truly curious as to how?? I did what I did, when I joined Germanshepardforum and logged into the Aggression Forum and it was an "Oh my Freaking God Moment!!

My Rocky never went after me Marilyn or Struddell but Gunther and everyone else ... was fair game?? But on GSDForum crap like and more was common??? Lot's of folks' needed help and before me the common refrain for the most part was "Find a Trainer?"

And well you know how that can work out! I never bothered ... I'll figure it out myself?? And I did Good ... but for many year's, I really had no idea "how," exactly??

And then one day after year's of searching .. I found my answer in another Trainer ... I had never heard of??? Larry Khron and he explained to me "what I had done and why it worked!"

And note "to you," I did not say "Walking Your Dog Was Bad," I just said ..it won't burn calories. But yet again ... you have already been doing this.:

And that was basically what me and Rocky did! We walked mile's in silence together often at night. ANd I had no idea I was doing anything?? And then one day ... this happened.:

That was not a plan but it was the best thing that could have happened for Rocky and Me! That was the day he became "not a PIA burden for life but he was now "My Dog!"

He already knew ... I had his back and after that ... I knew he had mine! :)

And that was accomplished by "Walking Him!" Which have also done. So just another long way of pointing out to you ... what you've done! :)

And Just so you know ... when your girl got into you lap and fell asleep ... and you said well OK then and you said yes?? LOL well there you go "Hand Picked Prima Donna Puppy!"

So ... you know good luck finding another one?? But so you know ... that was how I got my Struddell! And she was "Girl!" And there were no regret's there! But you know ... most likely Good luck finding another pup, like that??

Sigh ... I have not??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you,

I can't see me with another dog. Nothing compares to Gypsy. Have a quote tattooed on my arm for her and it says " when I needed a hand, I found your p🐾w "

Your story is amazing, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi! I've been off of here most of this year due to 'stuff' going on in my life. Nothing terrible thankfully, but time consuming. I know it's been a crazy year for many and I hope you are all doing well.

Our two older boxers are pretty big, part of it is genetics - their sire was a big boy; part of it is that they are a bit chunky- so, that's on us. They trim down in the spring and summer and get a little heavy in the winter. We've cut back their food, but they still need to drop 5-10 lbs each. They are a healthy weight between 80-85 Lbs. They are taller than most other boxers we've seen, and taller than their 'brother from another mother', Bandit. Bandit is more of your average boxer size and weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
He is overweight now, 2 years ago he was solid muscle and weighed 120. He is tall and long. He is much bigger by size than any other boxer. I know the recommended weight for a boxer and he is a freak of nature. The picture of him in the pool was taken a few days ago. He is getting old and gaining some extra fat. I can give you height and length measurements since you think my dog is just fat. Ask before you call someones baby fat.
Some European asshole said something of that nature about my Boxer, Duke, one evening. We were walking in downtown New Orleans.

After her insensitive, assuming comment, I looked at that woman who, of course, was overweight herself and I said, “let me get my mirror out of my pocket for you so you can take a look at yourself before you go judging & insulting my baby” - Turned on my heels, gave my best single-finger salute and walked away - never thought about it again, until I read this, that is. Opinions & assholes - so unnecessary!!!!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts