Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 98 of 98 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
I am kinda confused~sounds like you(OP) have a big problem with white boxers. I was just reading through some of your post and see that had a whitey. Did something happen with your whitey that is causing you to have extreme ideas about them?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I've read this with a great deal of interest. As the owner of a whitey, I'll chime in...Blitzen is a hearing whitey ( we honestly didn't care one way or the other about deafness) she has fairly good confirmation but a rather nervy temperment and no health issues *knocks wood*. With such low numbers of deafness I don't think it's necessary or practical to try to eliminate deafness through selective breeding. As an owner I'd MUCH rather see more focus on breeding to improve cardiac and cancer risk.A deaf, healthy dog is a training challenge, a dog dying slowly of cancer or cardiac complications is unbearable heartache.
I would never consider breeding any dog, it's waaay over my head but I do understand that breeding to a standard is the reason behind purebred dogs. Should those standards be changed to include whiteys?? I'm not sure but I think the deafness gene in whiteys is recessive and a hearing parent could still throw deaf pups of any color thereby increasing the deafness in all boxers eventually. Since the point of having a winning show dog is usually breeding I doubt the AKC will ever budge on whiteys in the ring. Do I think they'd kick butt if allowed in????? Absolutely :clap2:
As for the breeders that are manipulating genetics to the detriment in breeds such as needing artificial insemination or c-sections SHAME ON THEM, THOSE THAT BUY FROM THEM AND THOSE THAT JUDGE THEM IN THE RING :evil: But, that's a whole 'nother rant of mine :D

ky, YAY for Diari, he deserves it :up: \:D/ he's a special, special little guy. Sending him huge hugs and WTG pats on the back >:D< :up: Do we get pics??? :D

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
WooHoo Ky!! WTG Diari. Yes, he is an exceptional young man...with an exceptional Mommy!! :clap2:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
>:D< and you KNOW this...hehe ive just been SUPER busy with clearing all the Army stuff the kids us and of course me fighting pnemonia :wall: but am ok

ill post pics of today in another post

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Just a IMO, we should probably start with weeding out bybs and puppy mills. I'm not a know-it-all by any means (just a girl from the sticks) but you have to get all the ppl that don't even care about the breed, just about the money, to stop breeding first. I'll be the first to say I've supported a byb, my boy Rocky is from one. Koko, I'm sure came from one but I took her in from someone that didn't really want her. What kinds of problems will my babies have down the road? I don't have any idea but you know I'm going to love them no matter what. I also agree with Lori359, I'm not going to go out of my way to own a deaf pup. Why? Because I know that I'm not going to be the best owner for that dog right now. I love, love, love hearing all the stories and accomplishments of all the deaf babies here though. They are so beautiful and very impressive. They have the best of the best owners too :bow: ! I also saw where you stated that you owned a whitey and also curious if something major happened that has brought this dislike about white boxers on?

Yay Diari! I'm going to go look for that post now!

G

·
0 Posts
Rocky07 said:
I also saw where you stated that you owned a whitey and also curious if something major happened that has brought this dislike about white boxers on?
Same here.

Also curious where the pictures went that were on your new member post? I wanted to see your doggies :(

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
What about cancer which they don't test for (to the best of my knowledge)? For those of you who are breeders, what would you do in this situation? e.g., If you had a female that you've been breeding, and you later learn that much of her lineage (not offspring, but those related...excuse me for my lack of "breeder lingo"...as I know little to nothing about breeding) has been stricken with cancer later on in life (senior dogs)...would you continue to breed her?

I know that cancer is so prevalent in many breeds, and is it a reason to discontinue breeding a particular dog because of it? Not a particular dog breed, please understand. :)

I am not in any way implying that one shouldn't breed in this situation. I'm really just curious as is what is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ok I for one found your post to be VERY offensive not because you don't think whities should be bred. I happen to agree with you on that idea. I do however DISAGREE with you that because a whitie is deaf that they should not even be pets. I have 2 whities and they are Both deaf I have 2 because some stupid human decided that a 9 week old puppy was not worth having around or even trying to work with him & decided to have him put down. I told them to bring the pup to me, No I did not know what was involved in owning a deaf dog. He has learned as I have learned. Both of my deaf boys Skye & Storm know american sign language. They are Both very well behaved in public. AND neither of my pups deserved to be culled at birth or put down at an early age. Storm was born deaf, Skye went deaf at four months but 99% percent of people don't know they are deaf unless I tell them. I also have 2 other dogs Jayden & Trinity they too know sign. Jayden was taken to the pound with 9 brothers & sisters because the owner of the "Pure bred boxer mother" did not think she was worth saving either becaused she was not pure. Trinity was starved by another stupid human who did not want to take the money to feed her & her sister because they were too small & couldnt get enough money out of her & She is a full blooded brindle, the vet says that she will always be small now. No, none of my boxers meet breed standards they have all been fixed I would not have bred them even if they weren't, there are too many unloved pets pure bred or mixed in this world. But they are not sub standard pets and do deserve to have a chance to live a healthy & happy life No matter what color they are or wheither they can hear or not.
I understand you are entitled to your opinion But as you can see we (whitie owners) are entilted to ours as well. and I for one do not care to hear a closed minded opinion as yours. We love our pets and would bend over backwards for them hearing or not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Okay. Let me be honest here. I have no idea what to say to a group of people who would rather more deaf dogs be bred, instead of hearing dogs. I am at a loss for words.

Not once did I say I was in favor of culling whites. Not once did I say that deaf whites should not be pets. These things were said by others, not me.

If you love your whites, that's awesome. I'm so glad they have people like you to love them. I would be MORE glad if there were fewer deaf boxers...period.

You guys say you would rather there be more deaf boxers. That's your personal opinion....personally, I find it very hard to tolerate that opinion. It's too much for me to agree with people who say that it's better for a dog to be disabled. Sorry.

I will graciously step out of this forum as obviously, I have overstayed my welcome.

·
Banned
888 Posts
This is really unfortunate.

Personally, I have read this entire thread, and do not believe ANYONE here was advocating the culling of any boxers. I also am disappointed that some people feel that having an open discussion about breeding is in any way sh!t talking about white boxers.

For the record, I do not believe anyone was trolling in this forum. Maybe I'm naive, but I really believe this was a discussion (not a debate) with regard to various health concerns in boxers via breeding. Since I have (and have had) boxers, I thought it was an important discussion because I think we all want boxers to be healthy as a breed! Also, in light of the recent video that was discussed, I thought a relevant one. It's really too bad it's been degraded to a perceived hate-fest against white boxers.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You have indeed overstayed your welcome...I never said I wanted more boxers to be deaf ...I said that I personally wanted more in my home...None of us want more deaf boxers nobody stated that, what we said is we love them regardless.

Again, re-read my post a deaf dog is not disabled....Quit feeling sorry for them, Storm doesn't want your sympathy she couldn't give two shits she is deaf....if you feel

that they have limitations they will, my deaf boxer does not. I am sick of the sympathy and the lack of education... Deaf boxers are just as easy to train as hearing

dogs. Storm was my first deaf dog and look at what all I have taught myself....I work with rescue, teaching them what I've learned....You take a helpless stance like

you can't do it then you right you can't....Don't limit yourself to only hearing dogs bc you are missing out on a beautiful world...

People fear what they don't know or understand and that is my pitty for you...You don't know the first thing about deaf dogs and if everyone throws up there hands and says that is too much responsibilty we are all mistaken....My fawn takes up more time medically then any of my pets and requires more time from me bc of that...Training a deaf dog is the easiest part of my day....

I assume I am correct you have no experience with deaf dogs what so ever, you have just come start sh*t....To be honest, you came to the right place, because this forum won't tolerate people like you.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
gotlucky said:
This is really unfortunate.

Personally, I have read this entire thread, and do not believe ANYONE here was advocating the culling of any boxers. I also am disappointed that some people feel that having an open discussion about breeding is in any way sh!t talking about white boxers.

For the record, I do not believe anyone was trolling in this forum. Maybe I'm naive, but I really believe this was a discussion (not a debate) with regard to various health concerns in boxers via breeding. Since I have (and have had) boxers, I thought it was an important discussion because I think we all want boxers to be healthy as a breed! Also, in light of the recent video that was discussed, I thought a relevant one. It's really too bad it's been degraded to a perceived hate-fest against white boxers.
Maybe you missed the part about deaf boxers, you may go back over it....It was quite offensive even to those whom don't have deaf boxers....I do...so personally I will not tolerate ignorance, especially from someone(tara) whom has never spent time with a deaf dog...I don't think anyone looking through their rose colored glasses should judge on something they know nothing about....

·
Banned
888 Posts
I read quite well thank you.

Some people have commented this was "sh!t" talking about white boxers.

I'm sorry, I just think your anger is misdirected. Whether deafness is a disability (at least with humans) is up for debate, but I'm not here to debate that with you. Neither the original post nor the following discussion was meant to be hurtful, just theoretical and thought provoking. And as a final thought, you attract more flies with honey.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I apologize if you took what I said as offensive but I had a genuine concern that you had missed the part about deaf boxers.....I don't think there is anything challenging about what she said at all...Calculus is challenging...Her opinion was one to that is very offensive to those with deaf children that she knew would provoke anger in the white boxer community...

·
Banned
888 Posts
No problem, I did read it all.

Honestly, the discussion has had me consider more what I think about deaf dogs. I have always had brindle boxers, and one white I rescued off the streets of Austin (as a matter of fact). Honestly, my Brisket is an easy going, fun loving Frito-smelling guy, but I must admit I'm can't help but feel a little jealous of the connection that people have with their non-hearing dogs. My dog MIGHT be smart, but let's face it, he doesn't get to prove it to me all day, every day!

I honestly believe owning a deaf dog is a special experience, I suspect you really get to know their souls.

(you keep editing your post while I'm trying to reply).

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
gotlucky said:
No problem, I did read it all.

Honestly, the discussion has had me consider more what I think about deaf dogs. I have always had brindle boxers, and one white I rescued off the streets of Austin (as a matter of fact). Honestly, my Brisket is an easy going, fun loving Frito-smelling guy, but I must admit I'm can't help but feel a little jealous of the connection that people have with their non-hearing dogs. My dog MIGHT be smart, but let's face it, he doesn't get to prove it to me all day, every day!

I honestly believe owning a deaf dog is a special experience, I suspect you really get to know their souls.

You are so right the connection is something that makes me want eveyone to know what it is like... but by the looks of your baby on the couch, I think you have a great thing going!!! :up: :up:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I know soorrrryyy, I have a 70 plus dog on my lap who thinks he can type :slap: :slap:

81 - 98 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.