Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone's  Boxer suffer from a loss of fur in symetrical places ie, on both sides.?

Cleo who is 8 years and speyed has two areas of fur loss on her back just above her thigh muscles and it seems to be spreading across ther back. I have done some research on the net which could point to Thyroidism. We are now awaiting blood tests for T4, I think it is called. Thyroidism I think is common amongst pure bred dogs like boxers so you can imagine I am somewhat concerned . The thing is, she doesn't scratch the areas at all so I don't think it is an allergy. If it isn't a Thyroid issue which I think is treatable what else might it be?

She is also suffering from a Red/Drooping/Gungy eye and I wonder if the two conditions might be linked.

When you think of Thyroid problems it reminds me of stories we were told at school about the mountain people in Switzerland who because they had no source of iodine ie, Fish had similar problems so I have started giving her Pilchards and Mackeral in her diet.

I would love to hear what you Boxer lovers have experienced on these issues, thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Bo seems to be bald on his thighs as well, but it hasn't spread.  I hope they figure out what is wrong with your baby and that it's very treatable!  Also, welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of information here!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry about Cleo's problems.  Kiah has hair loss behind her ears on both sides of her head.  It started when I was feeding her Canidae, so we are sure it was an allergy to something in the food (she never did scratch).  She is doing better now but the hair has not completely grown back.  Here is a link about different types of hair loss.  I know that boxers are prone to a seasonal flank hair loss but don't know much about it or thyroidism.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=421

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm sorry I'm of no help w/ this. Barb looks like she's given you a very good link. I do hope it's treatable she gets her fur back! Maybe SharonL can shed some like on this topic for you! Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome to the forum.   Hopefully someone will be able to help you with your question.

Our Berkeley had that.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies, sorry for delay in replying had a PC crash and only just got everything back up again.

Boxerlove,

The picture you posted is almost identical to Cleo's condition ,  (Red collar, fur colour,  and marks) .....and when I work out how to upload a photo I will add one of her.

The vet asked the same question about drinking but at the moment I can't say it is anymore than normal whatever 'Normal' is. She has dried Kibble type food and then usually drinks more or less straight after. I will ask the vet though if we can check her liver out presumably via blood tests??. Some people have suggested 'Seasonal Flank' or Allopecia I think it is called and is 'Allergy' related so that may be an area to explore.

Thanks once again.

Mike (Manchester, UK)

·
Registered
14 Posts
my boxer jimmy has the same problem and the same area we had him nutured the vet said it is really common in the boxerdog it could be a mixture of different things my vet says like lack of hormone or even a drop in testosteron  winter,and anxiety the vet gave me a course of pills (i cant remember the name) but stressed it may never grow back and might get worse he finished the course and some time later it grew back personally i dont think it had anything to do with the pills lasted for about 3months and it has started to fall out again the same place i just want to put your mind at ease the vet told me its nothing to be worried about i hope this guides you in the right direction when it first happened to my baby i was so worried

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Delilah has the symmetrical hair loss on her sides. It started about 1 year after I got her (she was 2 or 3 years old).  It seems to get worse in the winter, once it started spreading up to her back, but didn't last long.  However.. I wouldn't call it "seasonal" flank allopecia b/c it stays year round.  We've had her thyroid tested but everything came back in normal ranges.  
Have her thyroid tested (just a blood sample that is sent to a lab) if it isn't that, I wouldn't be too worried.
I've read that some people try melatonin pills for seasonal flank allopecia, but getting them outside more often in the sunlight should work as well.  I tried the pills for Delilah but they made her eye swell, strangely enough.

·
Registered
780 Posts
[quote="CLEO123\";p=\"89446":1yfgcyj0]Thank you all for your replies, sorry for delay in replying had a PC crash and only just got everything back up again.

Boxerlove,

The picture you posted is almost identical to Cleo's condition ,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: 10/03/08

The Vet phoned me today to say that the blood tests did not show any sign of Thyroidism so as you can imagine I am somewhat relieved at that.

What he did say was that I should watch her weight,  and how much water she drinks. For her weight approx 25Kgs she should be drinking approx 1.50 litres a day so we will monitor that.

I asked him where we go from here,  and he has advised that as a first, before any further blood tests we should bathe Cleo regularly using a mild soap / shampoo because that may stimulate her hair folicles and hopefully hair growth. In general, he said that Boxers in particular of her age (8 years) and sex suffer from hormone in-balances, so before we venture further with expensive blood tests (Not that cost would ever stop me testing) we should try the shampoo and wash  method for a week or so and see if has any effect.

He also said that it was common amongst Boxers to be affected by a lack of sunlight (Melatonin effect) which when I think about it may be related since the days are somewhat short from Sept to March/April and she only gets a few hours walk in daylight over this period. God!,  it's made think I should buy a 'SAD Light' for her all my friends will think I've lost the plot!   :?

Thanks again for all your contributions, its very reassuring and supportive to read about other peoples opinions and experiences and what they did to tackle the issues  raised. The power of the internet is truly awesome.

Thanks

Mike (UK)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, that's some good news...Had to laugh about the "SAD" light, oh the things we do for our babies :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Well spring is almost here so hopefully we will all have more sunlight.  Sometimes during the winter, I think I could use a SAD light  :lol:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Boy she does look a lot like our Berkeley!  Glad it isn't anything serious too, we worry so much about our babies and how to make them better!  I know that the sun didn't matter for ours....she had it during the summer too, actual all seasons so hopefully with yours that is all it is and the light or different shampooing will help!   :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all,

Thats an interesting link on the same discussion topic, and this condition is obviously common for sure.

It has got me thinking again...  .maybe the effect of long dark nights, ie a lack of Melatonin production combined with the fact that our dogs are also living in centrally heated warm homes over such a long period sparks some inbuilt reaction to shed hair. Cleo is constantly molting anyway.  I could stuff a couch with what she has lost over the years.

The question in my mind is why doesn't it happen to younger dogs? answer because it is most likely hormomal when the dog gets gets older just like us humans so no difference there. Two observations I have noticed are that she loves the sun always tring to find a spot either in the garden or the front room when the sun comes up. She also loves the cold partly I think because she breathe so easily through that small snout and goes off on one running around like a March Hare.

So the plan of action for now is a regular wash and wipe, Sad Light, and Melatonin tablets (Small dose).

Lets hope we can beat this.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Good luck, hope that takes care of it.  Please let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cleo,

After reading your post I felt compelled to register so that I could post my reply.Our 3 yo male boxer began showing identical signs of this hair loss on his flanks as well. This guy is my baby and immediately we where at the vets to have his conditioned determined.

The vet had no problem identifying it as foligular displatia ( simple hair loss). He told me that it is NOT uncommon in boxers and has no ill effects on them. They simply loss some hair in this region. He went on to inform me that many times it is seasonal and can disappear after the sunny days return. He also informed us that sometimes it doesn't. While we certainly would like to see our boys hair grow back, it was comforting to know that it posed no health issue to him.[/align]

Hope this helps.   :D  :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts