Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have a parrot in your house? If so how does it work out with your boxer?  Will they eventuall co-exist or will the parrot become dog food? :roll:   Any suggestions or experiences?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
In my house the bird would be dog food.  :shifty:  

I guess you can eventually get them to co-exist. It would be easier if you have a puppy, maybe then you could introduce them and the pup would just grow up to have a bird living in the house with him. He would get used to it. With adult dogs, it's kind of a harder task.  :?
Sorry I'm no help here. I don't have a bird......they kind of freak me out actually!  :crazyeye:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we didnt have a parrot, but we had a cockatiel ( i know there is a bit of size differance  :) ) when i first brought Chloe home at 11 wks. Even with her being young and the bird being here first- she still terrorized the bird. I know she didnt do it on purpose, she was just curious but we had some issues. I eventually had to make a decision on whether my bird was living the life he deserved. I ended up finding a cockatiel breeder who actually fell in love with the color on my bird and offered to take him in. I personally cant comment on a parrot since they are a might bit bigger, but i would def never ever leave them in the same room together with no supervision. Not sure if this helped, but good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I guess it is the same here..every time I take Saigey to the petshop he forgets about the toys and food he keeps looking at the birds in the cage without closing his eyes, Infact as a joke I told the guy Saigey is not interested in anything I will just take a bird.

But I guess if you keep the parrot in a cage until the boxer gets used to it it helps.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My ex had a Macaw for many years and then was given a pitt bull puppy..Sugar, the macaw, ruled the roost literally from day one..The Pitt even as an adult, never messed with her...So Yes, I think it can work. But for now I wouldn't allow them to be unsupervised in the same room...Give it time and see how it goes..It's going to depend on whether your parrot feels thrreatened at all and whether Kota develops an obsession or not....

I know Samson is totally fascinated by the birds at Petsmart. I could probably drop his leash right in front of the bird cages, do my shopping and come back and he would still be sitting there...Outside, he really has shown no aggressions towards them..He really pays them no attention....

Keep us posted on this works out  :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts